Menu

Oh, carp...I have a new son-in-law and I completely forgot that means a new knitted Christmas stocking for him...

Halftime Hope

I politely declined to learn to knit when I joined the family 32 years ago, and with 10 weeks til Christmas, it just came back to bite me.  (Seriously, MIL wanted to hand off the tradition she had started of knitting a personalized, matching Christmas stocking for all new spouses and grandkids, but neither I nor my sister-in-law, both new to the family, wanted to learn to knit.)

Anyone want to earn a buck? 

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1

Last week I was walking through a store that had a lot of stockings on display. We do not have beautiful stockings like you describe, just matching ones for each member of the family. This year I need to add one. But then I realized if I didn't pick up enough for each potential future mate, I might not be able to match them when a new member joins the family! I figured it would be easier to pull the extra from my own stock than to race out and try to play the match game in coming years. So now all the currents match and there's a surplus for now.

The things that make us happy sigh...

• Like 2

I admit I cheated for a stocking for dsil.  I went on ebay and found one that worked.  I had needlepointed each of the kids a stocking.   I just put his name on one.

eta: right after I ordered it, I started having panic attacks that I was being forward and maybe his mom had made him a special stocking.  (no).  as soon as he saw it, - he ran over and gave me a hug.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

This makes no sense to me. Don't they already have stockings? Why would they need a new one because they get married?

Signed,
Someone from a family where matching stockings aren't a thing (Had someone from DH's family given me a new stocking, I'd have smiled, thanked them, and never used it. Why would I quit using my childhood one?)

(As for actual help for OP, I don't knit. But I'd be checking Etsy like others suggested if this was something important to me.

• Like 1

LOL  Find a knitting group near you.  :)  See if you can outsource this to them.

I just picked up doing stockings again this year since ours are falling apart and I was taught a new technique for fairisle/stranding that makes it go so quick.  Only took me a few days for each, mostly done during the child's rink time (so I could keep my hands warm!).

• Like 1

DH's grandmother made all the stockings for the family, until she couldn't.  She is currently 103 or 104 and still alive but hasn't made any stockings for over 10 years.

The problem is, my youngest doesn't have one.  I would make it myself if anyone could find the pattern.  Her stuff is long gone and she has been moved to a nursing home and she doesn't remember anything about it now.

So, we have 4 matching stockings, and nothing similar for my youngest.  

UGH.

He says he doesn't care, but if I could ever find it, I would either buy or make him a matching one.......I can't find it anywhere.  I assume it is a 1950s pattern or even earlier of needlepoint.

Edited by DawnM

DH's grandmother made all the stockings for the family, until she couldn't. She is currently 103 or 104 and still alive but hasn't made any stockings for over 10 years.

The problem is, my youngest doesn't have one. I would make it myself if anyone could find the pattern. Her stuff is long gone and she has been moved to a nursing home and she doesn't remember anything about it now.

UGH.

He says he doesn't care, but if I could ever find it, I would either buy or make him a matching one.......I can't find it anywhere. I assume it is a 1950s pattern or even earlier of needlepoint.

There are probably knitters that could replicate it or know how it's done, generally. Maybe?

• Like 3

I'd just go to a personalization store (online).

Politely... will SIL mind if his stocking matches, or if there's one at MIL house? If it is for their home, a gift, it makes more sense to me.

That's what I was wondering. I already had a cross stitched stocking that my grandmother had made. If my MIL gave me a stocking for my house I would appreciate the sentiment, but wouldn't want to hang it because I have my own tradition. Since you don't know how to knit it may be best to find out if the stocking will be appreciated and used before you put all the time and effort into finding one.
  • Like 1

There are probably knitters that could replicate it or know how it's done, generally. Maybe?

I took more time to look at it this am and it isn't knit, it is needlepoint I guess it is called.

I will post a pic later today, I can't seem to do it from my phone.

• Like 1

DH's grandmother made all the stockings for the family, until she couldn't.  She is currently 103 or 104 and still alive but hasn't made any stockings for over 10 years.

The problem is, my youngest doesn't have one.  I would make it myself if anyone could find the pattern.  Her stuff is long gone and she has been moved to a nursing home and she doesn't remember anything about it now.

UGH.

He says he doesn't care, but if I could ever find it, I would either buy or make him a matching one.......I can't find it anywhere.  I assume it is a 1950s pattern or even earlier of needlepoint.

Post a picture and maybe we can help find the pattern. 

You could also try this method of making needlepoint patterns from a photo https://www.thespruce.com/designing-needlepoint-from-photos-4024008. I've never tried it, so don't know how successful it is.

Edited by KarenNC

A bit more explanation is in order, since it didn't make sense to some readers.  (Sorry!) 

Everyone already in the family has their own stocking, but all newcomers, by birth or by marriage, get their own stocking with their name and the year they joined the family.  The stockings are hand-knitted, and I never cared for them.  My MIL did beautiful crewel and needlepoint, but her knitting skills were not very neat and even, so to my admittedly picky eye, I always thought the stockings were 1) a tacky design, and 2) not well executed.  That didn't stop them from coming out every year.  The only saving grace was that they didn't hang on the mantle for days, they only appear on Christmas Eve and go away shortly after Christmas morning.

What it really means is that I need to find out if continuing the tradition is one that is important to my daughter and to my son, both of whom have (or will soon have) new spouses, and both of whom will likely have children coming in the next few years. 

Maybe this is my chance to mix it up a bit and get a nicer looking but still hand-knitted, stocking into the mix.   

It will cost me $100 to get a matching one made from an online knitter.  Depending on what dd says, I may need to learn to knit, so that it's not that amount for every new addition.  Yikes!

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2

This makes no sense to me. Don't they already have stockings? Why would they need a new one because they get married?

Signed,

Someone from a family where matching stockings aren't a thing (Had someone from DH's family given me a new stocking, I'd have smiled, thanked them, and never used it. Why would I quit using my childhood one?)

(As for actual help for OP, I don't knit. But I'd be checking Etsy like others suggested if this was something important to me.

My assumption is that his family will stuff his childhood one, and OP wants to put stuff in it at her house too. 

• Like 1

A bit more explanation is in order, since it didn't make sense to some readers. (Sorry!)

Everyone already in the family has their own stocking, but all newcomers, by birth or by marriage, get their own stocking with their name and the year they joined the family. The stockings are hand-knitted, and I never cared for them. My MIL did beautiful crewel and needlepoint, but her knitting skills were not very neat and even, so to my admittedly picky eye, I always thought the stockings were 1) a tacky design, and 2) not well executed. That didn't stop them from coming out every year. The only saving grace was that they didn't hang on the mantle for days, they only appear on Christmas Eve and go away shortly after Christmas morning.

What it really means is that I need to find out if continuing the tradition is one that is important to my daughter and to my son, both of whom have (or will soon have) new spouses, and both of whom will likely have children coming in the next few years.

Maybe this is my chance to mix it up a bit and get a nicer looking but still hand-knitted, stocking into the mix.

It will cost me $100 to get a matching one made from an online knitter. Depending on what dd says, I may need to learn to knit, so that it's not that amount for every new addition. Yikes!

You and DH should learn how to knit together. That would be pretty cool. You two could get it done in half the time and also have time together in the evening.

Signed,

Because it is family tradition. The person can choose to use it or not. My dh's aunt has been making everyone stockings for years. She makes a new one for anyone who is born or married into the family that year.

When I got mine I didn't particularly care too much about it for my sake but it felt nice to be included in dh's family's tradition. I continued to use my childhood stocking, which was an ugly red store bought stocking with my name put on it with glue and glitter, until my oldest got his stocking. After that it was nice to have matching stockings. They all aren't the same but they match nicely. Is still have my childhood stocking but I don't is it.

I politely declined to learn to knit when I joined the family 32 years ago, and with 10 weeks til Christmas, it just came back to bite me. (Seriously, MIL wanted to hand off the tradition she had started of knitting a personalized, matching Christmas stocking for all new spouses and grandkids, but neither I nor my sister-in-law, both new to the family, wanted to learn to knit.)

Anyone want to earn a buck?

Time to figure out a new tradition if knitting is not your thing.

I speak from experience here...in laws keep happening and then come the grandbabies. Find some new way to get the stockings done. That is sustainable in the future.

• Like 3

Time to figure out a new tradition if knitting is not your thing.

I speak from experience here...in laws keep happening and then come the grandbabies. Find some new way to get the stockings done. That is sustainable in the future.

This. You don’t have to continue your MIL’s tradition!!! Take the part you like, maybe the get them a new stocking part - but get them one you like or are able to do. Remember that your new son in law is just the first of a number of new people who will be joining your family! :-)

Anne

was the canvas handpainted?   and they actually did the needlework?

there are so many better options for needlepoint stockings - for a fraction of the price.

I took more time to look at it this am and it isn't knit, it is needlepoint I guess it is called.

I will post a pic later today, I can't seem to do it from my phone.

there are a ton of needlepoint stockings on ebay - generally in good condition.  I just ripped the name off, and put dsil's name on it.  it wasn't hard.  he loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 kids.  I found stockings I liked 6 years ago.  I bought 12 of them.  2 for us, 8 for my kids and spouses and 2 spares (I don't know why.)  We won't do stocking and gifts for the grandkids so they wil each have a giant gift bag we reuse each year which will serve as stocking & gift.

Post a picture and maybe we can help find the pattern. 

You could also try this method of making needlepoint patterns from a photo https://www.thespruce.com/designing-needlepoint-from-photos-4024008. I've never tried it, so don't know how successful it is.

Oh shoot, I forgot to post the photo, let me see if I can.  I am kind of bad at posting photos.

For this year, I’d buy a knit stocking in a store and just sew the name and year on with yarn and a yarn needle. I don’t see anyone taking up a new hobby just to continue this tradition. If the wife cares, SHE’D learn to knit. There should be no option for “I care but not enough to do it myself.†It’s not on the OP to do this. SHE DOESNT KNIT!

The personalization and year is a nice gesture, but if someone is going to take on the job,it’s really ok to switch it to a skill they HAVE like quilting or cross stitch or crochet. Heck, let a kid do it. That way if it’s a mess it’s still charming. My mother personalized our stockings by writing our names in glue and dumping glitter on it. This made it EASY to add grandchildren and new spouses.

• Like 2