Menu

8 wks in - Freshman Composition - Only one paper submitted

Pegasus

DD17 is dual enrolled in a freshman English composition course and has an instructor with serious time management issues.  We are now 8 weeks into the semester and the class has turned in a single paper.  

On a daily basis, the instructor will do something like announce that everyone in the class must speak to her individually during that days class to discuss their next assignment, then spend 30 minutes talking up her favorite charity, and only have time for a handful of students to discuss their assignment with her before classtime is over.

DD is frustrated but I keep telling her that part of navigating college courses is dealing with less-than-ideal instructors. We did check this instructor on Rate My Professor during registration, which we know to take with a whole shaker full of salt, and this instructor gets good reviews.

• Like 1

My DE kid has turned in 3 papers at this point and is ramping up for their final research paper - which is longer, argumentative, needs citations from original sources, etc.  So I do think that is weird.

And FWIW, this guy still gets full stars on rate my professor.  :lol:

• Like 1

My younger one got out of that with her AP score, but my oldest took both semesters of college English from the same professor. They did a lot of preliminary Blackboard posts leading up to papers where they critiqued each other, but turned in four papers each semester. After each paper, she graded them and offered sign-ups for discussing their work 1-on-1, making sure that anyone who got a C or lower signed up. If they showed up, they got 5 extra credit points on their paper, regardless of the score.

That approach sounded really good to me. My son said the students really felt like she was fair and involved.This was at the local community college.

My dual enrolled 17yo son is working on his second paper (due this week) and has had NUMEROUS "ink shed" assignments (which, the best I can figure, is just writing, writing, writing).