Menu

Anybody have their colors done?

Moxie

I had it done in the 80s but not since then since I don't think it would have changed.  I would totally do it again though if someone planned it as part of a girl's weekend, it sounds like a good idea.  I still have a sheet with my colors from the 80s that I use all the time.  

• Like 2

Nope but sounds fun. Especially if it involves going for afternoon tea after.

Um...what does it mean?

The link below is the one I went to in the early 90s because my friend wanted to go to one before shopping for her first working wardrobe. I was there to be her emotional support but had fun too. I am supposedly an autumn.

http://www.colormebeautiful.com/seasons/findyourseason.html

• Like 1

I haven't had my colors done professionally, but I've researched color theory on my own. It's so helpful to know what color of clothes work for me, and I have my basics down for neutrals and then 3-4 colors so that most of my clothes pair well together. TBH, I wear jeans 90% of the time so I just have to choose a colored top.

Where I fall short on knowing my colors is with makeup. I have colors I currently use, but I wonder if there's some that would look better. I just don't want to waste money experimenting. I also find makeup hard because I'm tanner in the summer with lighter hair and then paler in the winter with darker hair.

• Like 1

I haven't had my colors done professionally, but I've researched color theory on my own. It's so helpful to know what color of clothes work for me, and I have my basics down for neutrals and then 3-4 colors so that most of my clothes pair well together. TBH, I wear jeans 90% of the time so I just have to choose a colored top.

Where I fall short on knowing my colors is with makeup. I have colors I currently use, but I wonder if there's some that would look better. I just don't want to waste money experimenting. I also find makeup hard because I'm tanner in the summer with lighter hair and then paler in the winter with darker hair.

Same here! I have maybe 10 red lipsticks that don’t work and maybe 5 pink nail polishes that make my fingers look so old.

So in about 1989, when I was about 14, this woman at my moms job accosted me and did this. I was quite bewildered. But I came away knowing that the lovely orange red shirt I wore was not a good color and I instead a red with a little purple undertones would be better.

Yes I learned that black is not my best color and I replaced it with navy blue.  It really was a great service and I'm not sure why it isn't as popular anymore...or maybe it is and I'm just oblivious.   

• Like 1

I didn't have my colors done... 

BUT I had a friend who was an artist. At that point in time, I was wearing a lot of browns and earthy colors. One day she saw me in black and said, "Wow, you look good. What did you do? Oh, I know, you're wearing black. You always wear browns to church, right? You need to wear brilliant jewel-tones."

She told me, in the future, to shop the "jewel tones" at the thrift store and not buy any other colored shirts. I've followed her advice, wearing some colors I wouldn't have touched before, and I get so many complements.

I'm a believer!

Emily

• Like 2

Nope but sounds fun. Especially if it involves going for afternoon tea after.

The link below is the one I went to in the early 90s because my friend wanted to go to one before shopping for her first working wardrobe. I was there to be her emotional support but had fun too. I am supposedly an autumn.

http://www.colormebeautiful.com/seasons/findyourseason.html

Thanks!  I guess I'm autumn.  :D  The whole make up and fashion world is a mystery to me, but I'm naturally attracted to those colors and the season.

I've never had mine done professionally, but my female family members (mom, grandmother, aunts) did in the 80's.  Since then there's been some debate about what season I am.  I look like I'd be a summer with my ashy/dirty blonde hair and blue eyes, but the colors I get complimented in are a limited amount of shades from Winter and Spring, neither of which you would guess by looking at me.  Since then I've learned from Pinterest there's actually 12 seasons, not 4, and that Clear or Bright Winters (the name varies based on the company) are neutral winters that look good in some clear & saturated colors from Winter and some bright colors from Spring, and it is common for them to be mistaken for summers.  That palette still isn't perfect for me, but it's the closest I've seen.  If I was going to throw a party & have this done I'd make sure the consultant has 12 seasons to chose from, not just 4. Just because I'm sure I'm not the only person who falls between seasons.