Menu

Poutine Recipe?

TeenagerMom

Halloumi is a poor substitute precisely because it doesn't melt. If I had no access to curds, I would probably use cubes of a soft mild white cheese that melts well -- probably just mozzarella, if we are sticking to the satandard cheeses.

Poutine gravy is also a bit different from a standard brown gravy. It has flavours that strike me as a bit barbecue, or similar to a redish 'dipping sauce' that you can get at rotisserie chikcken places. A chicken gravy might be better than a beef gravy.

Poutine is one of our loves, but we don't really attempt to make it at home.  We save it for when we go to Canada (and we go there often).  That said, we'll try it when we see it in the states.  There was a food truck with it at Clemson during the Eclipse this past summer and it was reasonably good.  When we get one with American Cheese, we practically gag.  We've learned to ask first!

Traditional poutine has brown gravy and cheese curd over fries, but Smoke's Poutine has gone far more (to our delight).

http://smokespoutinerie.com/menu/

I love their Thanksgiving Poutine the best (a special one they have only around Thanksgiving - Canadian and American).  In general, I prefer a turkey/chicken gravy instead of the basic brown gravy, but almost anything Smoke's makes has been really, really good.

• Like 1

Too lazy to make my own. My kids like it when we are in Canada but not enough to want to DIY themselves. Besides my picky eater is picky about his cheese too.

Whenever we go to the Lightning hockey games in Tampa, I make sure we get seats near the poutine vendor. Although I'm not sure hockey arena poutine is the culinary height of poutine.....

My kids like the Burger King Canada’s poutine enough to purposely buy that almost every night for supper when we were at Niagara Falls. http://burgerking.ca/content/poutine

They did not like the New York Fries poutine. http://newyorkfries.com/menu

We didn’t have the chance to eat authentic poutine as kids were in a go go go mood and didn’t want a sit down meal.

• Like 1

Poutine is becoming really easy to find in Wisconsin. Probably because cheese curds are found everywhere there.   The gravy can make or break it, though. I had some that had way too much of a beer taste. Ew.  Most is kind of oniony and brown gravy.  I've never had it with a chicken gravy....I'd like to try that. 

• Like 1