Menu

If you have a Vitamix, does a food processor still come in handy?

stephanier.1765

I'm only a few months into veganism so I was curious when I stumbled across a blog post titled, "Stocking a Vegan Kitchen". In the blog post, the author wrote that she uses both a Vitamix and a food processor almost daily. I have Vitamix and I do use it quite a bit and I use it when a recipe calls for a food processor. Aren't they almost the same thing? I'm not a great cook. I can follow a recipe and the food will come out well but I can't tell you why that is other than I did exactly what the recipe called for so understanding different techniques or why one thing works better than another are not strong points for me. Would I find a food processor as well as a Vitamix handy? Could you tell me what the differences are?

My food processor stopped working & Ive been fine with just my vitamix. I do have both a mandoline and spiral slicer, but I use my vitamix for everything including grinding grains & it’s been great. I don’t feel the need to replace my food processor. My vitamix has multiple speeds and can pulse though, while my sister’s only has two speeds - so that might make a difference.

• Like 1

Yup, I have both and use both. Things like the banana ice cream can technically be made in the vitamix but it's way more headache - the stuff at the bottom starts melting and the stuff at the top hasn't processed yet. Having the larger surface area with the food processor really helps. 

Also for making some doughs, crumble toppings, grating large amounts of cucumber for vegan tzatziki etc. 

In fact, our old food processor broke a couple months ago and I bought a new one to replace it pretty quickly.... 

• Like 2

Yup, I have both and use both. Things like the banana ice cream can technically be made in the vitamix but it's way more headache - the stuff at the bottom starts melting and the stuff at the top hasn't processed yet. Having the larger surface area with the food processor really helps.

Also for making some doughs, crumble toppings, grating large amounts of cucumber for vegan tzatziki etc.

In fact, our old food processor broke a couple months ago and I bought a new one to replace it pretty quickly....

Do you use the tamper? It should give a nice, thick consistency throughout in the vitamix for banana ice cream.

• Like 1