Menu

Help me choose a new bag? (frivolous post)

Noreen Claire

I've been looking for a new bag for ages, with no luck. I'm picky and I can't find anything that I like. Please help me decide between two online options (or point me in another direction)!

I have a small purse; it barely fits my wallet, keys, and phone (and, if it has all those things in it at the same time, I can't zip it closed). I don't carry a diaper bag. I need a bag large enough to carry my stuff plus have room for some other stuff when I'm out with my little boys, like a disposable diaper & small wipe pouch, maybe some granola bars or a few apples, a small card game, a water bottle, and a book. However, I DO NOT want to carry a giant bag.

I've narrowed it down to two options from the same company as my current bag (and wallet). As I've only purchased one purse in the last 15 years, I'm okay with spending a bit on this purchase. It needs to last!

Here are my choices:

"MOLLY" - dimensions: 10" wide x 10.5" tall x 3" deep, with the optional inside slip pockets

or

"MELINDA" - dimensions: 10.5" wide x 9.25" tall x 4" deep, with the optional inside elastic pockets

Which do you like better, and why? Which should I buy?

Thanks!

I like the Melinda because I prefer one that has shorter handles rather than a sling.  Otherwise, I'd probably go with the other one because it is slightly smaller.  I am also picky about my purse.  I just bought a new one that I *thought* was a good size.  I even compared it to the one I had that is starting to fad and it only seemed slightly larger.  Well, it's like a cavern in there when I'm trying to find stuff.  I'm ready to throw it out and just go back to my old faded one because it is the *perfect* size for me. 

Good luck with finding one.  I usually pay less than $60 for my purses, so those are pretty but out of my price range.

• Like 1

I like the Melinda because I prefer one that has shorter handles rather than a sling.  Otherwise, I'd probably go with the other one because it is slightly smaller.  I am also picky about my purse.  I just bought a new one that I *thought* was a good size.  I even compared it to the one I had that is starting to fad and it only seemed slightly larger.  Well, it's like a cavern in there when I'm trying to find stuff.  I'm ready to throw it out and just go back to my old faded one because it is the *perfect* size for me. 

Good luck with finding one.  I usually pay less than $60 for my purses, so those are pretty but out of my price range.

I'm always wearing the youngest boy in a back carrier when we are out, so I prefer a cross-body bag, but do like the option of having the shorter handles.

These aren't normally in my price range, either. However, this is going to be my Christmas gift PLUS someone gave my husband a $50 gift card PLUS they are 15% off through Monday. 

• Like 1

Someone on here turned me on to Anuschka and I ended up buying this purse

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0NWJMW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it for 2 years and it has held up so well.  Not to mention how many comments I've gotten on it.

It's a little bit deeper than I would I have liked but since this was a complete change of style for me (previously I just bought the cheapest crossbody purse I could find at Walmart in a color I liked but then ended up replacing it every 6-9 months because the straps would break)

Anyways, the purse was so great I bought this wallet

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0NWJMW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I'm absolutely thrilled.  I wonder why I wasted so many years on a useless wallet (ok I know why,  I hate shopping and just never bothered to look at my options) but this wallet it absolutely perfect for me.

Anyways they have lots of purses and styles, it was really hard to pick out just 1.

ETA  Just realized you already have it down to just the 2 choices due to the coupon and sale.  In that case I would probably go for the 3 " high purse to make it less likely to lose things in there.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

Unless the shorter and long handles are removable, I’d go with the Molly. I often think I want “options†for carrying style, but forget just how annoying it is to have extra straps flapping about when I’m using the “other†carry style. When I carry cross body, those shorter straps just hang about catching on stuff or being in the way to open the zipper one-handed. When I carry short strap/one shoulder or arm style, I remember why I use cross-body - because I end up hunching and crunching to carry the bag and I get sore muscles in my back and shoulders from being lopsided.

Also, in my experience, the bigger your bag, the more you WILL end up carrying, because you become the family pack-mule. Get the exact size you need and not one inch bigger!! Water bottles for the whole family gets heavy. ;)

• Like 2

I don't like the side pockets on the Melinda. They look... Loose? Idk. I like a long-strapped, smallish purse, so I'd go for molly even though it seems huge. I also like the flap for extra security. I'm not sure I $200 like it, but at least you can customize it!

• Like 1

I don't like the side pockets on the Melinda. They look... Loose? Idk. I like a long-strapped, smallish purse, so I'd go for molly even though it seems huge. I also like the flap for extra security. I'm not sure I $200 like it, but at least you can customize it!

Honestly - looks like a diaper bag, to me.

• Like 1

I like the Molly.  I think the look is classier, and less like a diaper bag (good description!).  I also like that it's a little smaller, and has a flap.

But, I've also learned that I don't like any bag without a zipper closure.  That way I never have to worry about things spilling out, or a random hand reaching in.  Zippers are my #1 purse requirement.  Can you put a zipper on the Molly?

• Like 1

Neither. One must have straps long enough to grab a kid in one hand and sling the purse on the shoulder with the other. One must have a purse that stands up on its own. On that same website, is there a purse that does that?

Here is my favorite style right now:

https://www.shopdisney.com/the-haunted-mansion-shopper-tote-by-dooney-and-bourke-1386025

Plus, it holds an IPad Pro.

• Like 2

I carry a small bag. Every time I try to move to a slightly bigger bag, I'm shocked at how big they are and how much stuff they hold and how heavy they get quickly and I return to my small bag. 

If you are coming from a super small bag, these look huge to me. Can you try constructing a paper model or modifying a paper bag (or fabric grocery bag) and seeing if the size is really practical and acceptable to you? I know they sound reasonable from the dimensions, but sometimes the reality is much different than what you expect. Or maybe that is just me!

• Like 2

I prefer the Molly. It looks cleaner, less like a Mom bag, and overall just less fussy ?? maybe. I agree that the pockets on the Melinda make it a little diaper bag-ish. I would never consider the Melinda though simply bc it only has a snap closure. That would be a deal breaker for me.

• Like 2

That Molly is very similar to the Vera Bradley mailbag crossbody  Double Zip Mailbag Crossbody | Vera Bradley  It's even very similar dimensions. What I love about the Vera Bradley is the extra pockets that make it super functional, like the cell phone pocket on the back, the magnetic closure flap to two pockets (pens and keys) on the front, etc. And yes, I really could put probably everything you said in there. It's surprising how much just slides right into there, all while looking slim and trim! 

So Molly is where I'd go if you must be from that site. However once you're at that pricepoint, I'd make sure it has all the nice pockets you want. The pockets really make it for me.

• Like 1

I like the Molly.  I think the look is classier, and less like a diaper bag (good description!).  I also like that it's a little smaller, and has a flap.

But, I've also learned that I don't like any bag without a zipper closure.  That way I never have to worry about things spilling out, or a random hand reaching in.  Zippers are my #1 purse requirement.  Can you put a zipper on the Molly?

Love the molly!

• Like 1

Can I ask what little bag you’re currently using? I have a baggalini crossbody I love but it’s a bit too big for me for work and I’d like something just big enough for a wallet, phone, and keys :)

I have the mini crossbody found here: https://betterlifebags.com/collections/design-your-own/products/dyo-mini-crossbody (sorry, on my phone).