Menu

Why does the fever come and go?? Flu

1GirlTwinBoys

I'm seriously so fatigued after 7 days of the flu and feel bad about complaining...

I didn't have one all day today but now it's 101*.  It comes and goes EVERY day.  I haven't been able to eat for DAYS except a couple saltines.  

Is it normal to keep coming back?  Does that mean anything?  I'm on the verge...

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

My last come and go fever was walking pneumonia. Mine was bronchitis first but dd had the same pattern with flu turning into pneumonia. Any chance of a secondary infection?

I'm not sure.  

I just read it can be 7-10 days for fever with flu.  That means I should wait it out 3 more days I guess before going to the Dr.

A pediatrician once told me that it was normal for temperatures to spike up at night. It had to do with normal raising of temperatures at night contributing somehow.

That said, do watch. My son developed pneumonia and a come and go high fever was a symptom for him. 

• Like 1

My last come and go fever was walking pneumonia. Mine was bronchitis first but dd had the same pattern with flu turning into pneumonia. Any chance of a secondary infection?

This is the same for me. I was so sick and thought I had the flu. Nope. It was pneumonia. Did you have a flu diagnosis?

I hope you are feeling better soon.

The only time one of my kids had a come and go fever like that (going up in the middle of the day and then coming back down) was when my son had pneumonia. His fever would spike to 104 and he'd fall asleep. This happened in the doctor's office and she did a pulse-ox right then and there, which thankfully was ok. But then she sent us for x-rays, and sure enough... Pneumonia.

My friend's daughter just had flu last week and at the end of a week was just not getting better. She also was having a cyclic fever like that. Turned out she also had pneumonia. A few days later, on abx, she is feeling so much better!