What's with the ads?

#1 wehave8

wehave8

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

Going all the way through IEW, what doesn't it teach that you would want to touch on at some point?

Pam

#2 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32492 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

I think it would help if you defined "all the way".  IEW has a lot of pieces to their overall writing process.  Are you talking about just the primary writing program, Teaching Writing Structure and Style/Student Writing Intensive  (IEW TWSS/SWI)?   TWSS plus the continuation course (SICC)?  or do you mean also using a significant number of the components that are also offered...

Speech Boot Camp

Elegant Essay

Teaching the Classics

Windows to the World

The Advanced Communication series

A Guide to Writing Your Novel

Fix-It Grammar (all 6 levels) 

Advanced Spelling and Vocabulary

Excellence in Literature

Grammar of Poetry

High School Essay Intensive

Writing Research Papers:  The Essential Tools

and so on...

How to Write a Story

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization 

• freesia likes this

#3 wehave8

wehave8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

I think it would help if you defined "all the way".  IEW has a lot of pieces to their overall writing process.  Are you talking about just the primary writing program, Teaching Writing Structure and Style/Student Writing Intensive  (IEW TWSS/SWI)?   TWSS plus the continuation course (SICC)?  or do you mean also using a significant number of the components that are also offered...

Speech Boot Camp

Elegant Essay

Teaching the Classics

Windows to the World

The Advanced Communication series

A Guide to Writing Your Novel

Fix-It Grammar (all 6 levels) 

Advanced Spelling and Vocabulary

Excellence in Literature

Grammar of Poetry

High School Essay Intensive

Writing Research Papers:  The Essential Tools

and so on...

How to Write a Story

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization 

I meant...  "just the primary writing program, Teaching Writing Structure and Style/Student Writing Intensive  (IEW TWSS/SWI)."   And maybe...  "the continuation course (SICC)."

Not  ALL of the IEW as a company (with all of their Lit. and Grammar, etc.), but as a Writing Program, as quoted above.

ETA:  And just Andrew Pudewa materials.  I have not read good reports about some of the others, such as Elegant Essay.

I don't know why I thought everyone could read my mind.  :)

Pam

Edited by wehave8, 21 October 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#4 mschickie

mschickie

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

The only thing I really think that needs to be focused on in greater detail is research papers.  We did use IEW's Research Paper program and that has worked really well.

I do have to say that I loved the Elegant Essay too but it really needs to be done after the student has a strong handle on the IEW process to be really successful.

• wehave8 likes this

#5 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32492 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

I have not used Elegant Essay but I have known others to use it and love it, FWIW.

As for what is missing from the main writing program, I agree, maybe the research paper but they have something specifically for that so you could roll that in after completing the main program and its continuation course.

• wehave8 likes this

#6 Heathermomster

Heathermomster

Isilwen Meneldur of the Woodland Realm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4589 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

IEW is very weak with Invention. IEW is great about teaching how to rewrite someone else’s thoughts; however, it doesn’t systematically teach the thinking and prewriting activities.

#7 wehave8

wehave8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

IEW is very weak with Invention. IEW is great about teaching how to rewrite someone else’s thoughts; however, it doesn’t systematically teach the thinking and prewriting activities.

Thanks

I'll keep this in mind.

Pam