Menu

Poor SAT score

kewb

My daughter is devastated. She took the sat for the last this month and just got her score. Which is worse than her last one at the end of Junior year.

Now she is convinced she is stupid. Won't get into a good college. And will not get enough merit aid if she does get in and then won't be able to afford college.

I know the emotions are raw right now but I need stories of encouragement.

Edited by kewb

I don't know if this will be encouraging or not, but in researching schools for my senior, I was shocked at how many colleges there are where her fine-but-not-outstanding ACT score would put her in the top half or even the top quartile--schools that are plenty good, schools you've heard of, schools whose graduates get jobs.  Hanging around on College Confidential and, to a lesser extent, this board, makes you think everyone (but your kid) is getting a 36 or 1600, and that is quite clearly not the case.  My daughter's okay score (which is actually quite good for her--she worked hard to raise her original score, which was a 21) even qualified her for automatic merit aid at a couple of schools.  She's going into a field where her college of origin doesn't make much difference (nursing or PT school), so a second-tier academic school is a great match for her.  There are literally TONS of such schools of every size and shape.  The trick, if she is focused on scores, may be to helping her see one of those as a "good" school.

• Like 9

My son has taken the ACT twice.  His scores are quite mediocre, even after an ACT test prep course.  His GPA is high.  We are just letting it go at this point.  If he can't get into the school of his choice, that is ok, he can start at CC and get some general ed classes out of the way and re-apply.  He is ok with that.  But he is still going to try to get into the school of his choice.

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  So painful, esp. after her hard work.

Her score may not be as low as she is thinking, as I don't know what you mean by a "poor SAT score" -- to *me* a low score would probably be either:

- below scholarship range, if desperately needing $$ for school (so, SAT < 850 or ACT < 26)

- or below minimum entrance requirements for most colleges (so, SAT < 650, or ACT < 21)

Echoing plansrme of finding colleges that place her score in the top 25% of incoming students, which increases chances of scholarships. Compare info on various schools at the College Data website.

Also, here's a list of college scholarships by SAT scores:

scoring from 400-1000

scoring from 1000-1200

scoring from 1200-1400

scoring from 1400-1600

Another option is to go "2+2" -- 2 years at the cheaper local community college and live at home, then transfer (often getting some transfer scholarship money) and finish the last 2 years at a university. And doing well at the CC with a high GPA often can land the student decent partial tuition transfer scholarship money. (DS#1 went this route, and got a half-tuition transfer scholarship that renewed at the university he transferred to, so scholarship for 2 years -- and the second year he landed an additional, smaller partial scholarship for student leadership/volunteer work on campus.)

Another option might be a tuition-free or work for tuition school, or work part-time while going to college for a company that offers tuition reimbursement, or look at "Colleges That Go The Extra Mile to Make it Financially Possible to Attend". And here's a helpful article: "7 Ways to Go to College for Free". Also, check out this past thread on alternative ideas for funding college: "s/o Cautionary Tale: High College Costs -- a Brainstorm $$ Ideas Thread!"

Finally, it's important to be realistic about merit aid. Getting a "full-ride" (all expenses paid) is very rare, even for students with perfect SAT scores. A bit more frequent than "full-ride", but still not THAT common are "full-tuition" scholarships -- be prepared that you will still be covering the $8000-10,000/year in room & board and additional expenses. Realistically and statistically, the most frequent scholarships awarded, even to high SAT score students, are partial scholarships (up to half-tuition), and possibly an additional smaller award towards books, or towards room & board.

Not trying to scare you with those numbers, but to help you see that only a few of the numerous students who hit that top SAT range (1400-1600), are going to college "for free" on scholarships -- most are NOT. Students must combine options and really hustle to make college happen. Your student is in the ideal stage for looking for specific schools that help her make the most of her finances, and to be looking into ideas for financing the rest of her college degree. :)

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

P.S.

Since this test was such a disappointment, I hate to suggest re-testing. But if that would be an workable option for your DD, would she possibly "click" better with an ACT test? Some students score significantly better on one than the other, although many students just score about the same (that was my DSs).

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

I am literally on the road today touring a moderately to highly competitive LAC (in terms of ACTs) that just has undergrads.  It turns out very high quality grads.  Very high numbers go on for PhD's.  It has moved to test optional.

Anyway, this was one of the more interesting info sessions I've attended.  They basically said - chill out.  85% of schools accept over 50% of applicants.  Test scores are optional for many options.  Judge a program by the quality of the grads.  Not the quality of the students going in.  What can a school offer you as an individual to explore your passions and reach your potential? 

Anyway - I'm not one to get sucked into college marketing but I did like the message this school was delivering.  There are many good options that don't even require a test score.  Including transferring from a 2 year program with a high GPA.  MANY students are doing this into the flagship university in our state that is ever more competitive for high schoolers to get into.  It will be ok. 

• Like 2

SAT scores are not everything. My daughter did not do well on her first SAT, took it again and did even worse. We decided she would go to the community college to bolster her confidence.

Two years later she graduated from there with her associates degree and a 4.0 GPA. She felt she could handle things and transferred to the four year college with a scholarship.

She ended up getting her BS degree with a 4.0 GPA.

A "low" SAT score does not predict college failure.

• Like 6

Is your daughter 15? That is what is showing on your signature?

My goodness, been awhile since I updated my signature. She is 17 and a senior.

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. Poor was probably a poor choice of words. It is not the worst score ever. It is solidly average. It is not in the range she needs for top merit aid. Which she needs for the school she really loves. She is frustrated because her scores were heading in the right direction but not quite where they needed to be.

Average is okay. And the crushing disappointment she is feeling tonight shall pass and tomorrow is another day.

• Like 9

Solidly average sounds promising!! She will have lots of choices, though it may mean modifying the dream.

My oldest had average sort of scores, and had some good school options, but her one outright rejection was the school she had her heart set on. Now that she is graduated from college (a different college in every way from the one she initially coveted), she realizes that the school she ended up attending was better for her all around. But disappointment and rejection hurt, and they hurt our mothers' hearts even more, I think. Hugs to her, and it will be exciting to see where she is really supposed to be!

• Like 2

My daughter and I had one of those late night, wish I was sleeping because it is past my bedtime, heart to hearts.

She is still super disappointed in herself and had a good cry. She is starting to understand that the sat score is a piece of the puzzle not the whole puzzle. She is starting to open up to the idea that if she goes somewhere other than her dream it will be okay. She will bloom where she is planted but she wants to be planted where she wants.

It is hard to watch them hurt. So much easier when they were little.

• Like 9

My daughter and I had one of those late night, wish I was sleeping because it is past my bedtime, heart to hearts.

She is still super disappointed in herself and had a good cry. She is starting to understand that the sat score is a piece of the puzzle not the whole puzzle. She is starting to open up to the idea that if she goes somewhere other than her dream it will be okay. She will bloom where she is planted but she wants to be planted where she wants.

It is hard to watch them hurt. So much easier when they were little.

Just a thought... But can she still *apply* to her dream university, with the understanding that if the school doesn't come back with a financial aid package that fits your family's budget, that she would accept another school's offer...?

It's good that she is already beginning to understand that she might have to be more flexible about college to cushion the potential blow of either not being offered enough money, or not being accepted, but sometimes colleges can surprise you. As others have said, tests are just one piece of what they look at for acceptance and scholarships. Schools can surprise you about what they decide to offer, especially if they see something in her application essay that shows them that would be an especially good fit for them.

Just a thought! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the update! This is heartening for me as a teacher to my own kids who are a little nervous about facing the SAT, plus I love the heartwarming nature of this thread: she was so sad, and then got in anyway. :)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4