Menu

MP Classical Composition Fable DVDs

teachermom2834

I am using MP Core Curriculum with my 4th grader. Next week we have the Classical Composition Fable lessons on the schedule for the first time. The dvds came with the program. I will watch it this weekend but I thought I would ask for tips on how people are using these.

Do you use the DVDs? Do you (the teacher) watch alone just to prep or does your student watch them as instruction? Any other tips to utilize the dvd lessons effectively?

Thanks!

We have the dvds but haven’t used them. I tried watching the first but it was a bit long. My daughter hasn’t done well with video instruction in the past. We had IeW with the dvd but it was too “boring†for her. So I am mostly winging it with the teacher’s guide. I would love to know how others fit the DVDs in

I have used the DVDs. My daughter would watch them as she did the workbook, watching only the part of the dvd that pertains to the part of the lesson she was doing that day. I would let her skip watching every other lesson or so because It did get repetitive and she was doing well with the class. Sometimes I watched with her and sometimes didn’t. She really liked the class overall.

I will update when we've been using them a while. I did watch the first lesson myself today and based on that I am going to start out with her watching the dvds. The MP curriuclum guide breaks the lesson up into small chuncks over two weeks so if she just watches the section of the dvd for what she is working on that day it is not long at all.

I actually think she will enjoy the dvds and the lessons, mainly because they seem to be in manageable pieces. My goal with this child is to be moving to online classes (either MP or WTMA) over the next few years. I think the dvd, though not live, will be a good intoduction to a teacher on a screen.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Teachermom - mind giving an update on how your daughter did with the DVDs?

I'm preparing to use Fable with my 4th and 6th graders this year and have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a breakdown of times where each portion of the lesson begins?  (like in IEW's SICC, etc?)  I've looked and can't find a video guide.  That would be really helpful!

2) One lesson is scheduled for two weeks in the guide.  Did you find that to be a good pace?

3) You mentioned that you sometimes watched the class with her.  On the times you did not watch the class, were you able to edit and grade her work effectively?  It seems that Fable is fairly redundant.  I'm hoping that once I get the hang of it myself, I won't need to watch every DVD lesson.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you can offer! ?

P.S. I see that you want to move towards online classes for your child.  My 5th grade DD took Latina Christiana I online with Dr. Drey at MP this past year and it was nothing short of phenomenal.  She thoroughly enjoyed it and learned an incredible amount of information, both Latin-related and general info to broaden her frame of reference.  Just wanted to encourage that MP academy worked extremely well this year as you look towards online classes. ?

Thanks for the encouragement for the online classes at MPOA. My dd will be in 5th grade and I have her registered for LC but not with Dr. Drey. However, she does have Dr. Drey for Narrative so I am excited about that for her. I have heard nothing but glowing recommendations for him.

About the Fable dvds- we didn't end up using them much. I can't remember the details but they were not particularly easy to navigate in terms of pulling up the section we needed to watch (though that might have been my laptop that is not great).  I don't recall a guide that gave the times for the lessons. ?? It was OK. We were always able to work it out but it was a bit cumbersome if I remember correctly. And the videos were redundant and boring and my dd didn't ever want to do them. So, we just followed the schedule in the curriculum guide. The two weeks per lesson was fine. She could have gone more quickly. Some days it only took a couple minutes. We did end up combining days so that even though the lesson would take two weeks we would double up assignments some days so we didn't have any Fable work other days. I never have done great with curriculum that has alot of components (watch the dvd, listen to the CD, etc. etc) We did just keep up with the assignments as written in the core curriculum guide.

In the end I think my dd learned using Fable but I really don't think we did it justice (and that is why we are doing the online class for Narrative next year). I do think the dvds would have been helpful if we had really committed to using them and I think I could have required more from her and been more involved and she would have gotten alot more out of it. It was just one of those things- we always completed the assignments but I usually felt like "eh...that's okay for now. Next lesson we'll watch the dvd and really dig in and do a better job"...and then we just didn't for whatever reason. I really think watching the first few lessons helps but you should get the hang of it and be fine on your own, I think. It isn't not that hard once you get the hang of it.