Menu

s/o Help me eat plantier.

I like to take frozen green beans, mix with pearl onions, garlic cloves diced (add to taste), slather with slivered almonds, and add a couple of tablespoons of veggie broth to the bottom of the casserole pan, cover, and slow roast in the oven.

Another one is that I toss a lot of finely diced broccoli into the crock pot with veggie broth and water in the right ratio two 1.5 cups of brown rice, add diced tomatoes, garlic basil, and oregano to taste, and then set out parmesan on the side for people to use according to taste. My sister in law does it with sharp cheddar, and my daughter does plain, greek almond milk yogurt in place of sour cream. You can add black or pinto beans for protein if you like. I adore beans. The more the merrier, LOL, and am so used to eating them that I have no gastric side effects.

Another favorite is to grind cashews and put them on salads, and use an olive oil/vinegar dressing.

Chilli based on diced tomatoes run through the blender, kidney and pinto beans, chopped carrots, lots of cumin and garlic - we don't do chilli powder here - slow simmer in the afternoon. Makes a wonderful fall meal. My guys eat garlic bread with it. I am GF because I developed an allergy, so tend not to have any bread unless I happen to have a GF roll around. But bread to dip is very filling and yummy.

I then use the leftover chilli the next day to top baked potatoes. This is very popular.

• Like 1

So, some different ways to incorporate nuts: 

1. Stir-fry - which you're already doing - peanuts, cashews

2. Salads - sliced almonds, walnuts, pecans

3. Oatmeal/Breakfast cereals - sliced almonds, walnuts, pecans

4. Snacks - salted almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts

5. Nut butters - with sandwiches or as a dip for raw fruits and veggies

6. Sauces - look up a recipe for "gado gado" to use with rice and cooked veggies

And if you're willing to branch out to try avocado in a new way, a daily juice glass of this:

1. Smoothie: avocado, banana, and honey + a nut milk, if you want a smoother consistency

(I suggested this because you're looking to be "plantier" and not necessarily full-on 100% vegan.)

Something else to look into, SEEDS:

1. Chia seeds are a good healthy fat

2. Flax seeds, especially as an egg replacer if you plan to still bake morning muffins or breads

3. Sesame seeds, toasted, sprinkled over stir-fry

4. Sunflower seeds, salted, sprinkled over salads

5. Pumpkin seeds, roasted, as a snack

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

If you can afford cashews, they are the foundation of many creamy vegan recipes. For a while it seemed every new vegan recipe started with "soak 1 cup of cashews" .... :D 

If you're into cheese making, Skye Michael Conroy's Non Dairy Evolution or Miyoko's vegan cheese books would be the place to start. But it's time consuming stuff.. 

Skye has put up tons of his recipes on his site. He has a 'chick'n less' bouillion recipe which I think is just fine https://thegentlechef.com/recipes/

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

Look for some of Dr. Joel Fuhrman's cookbooks at your library. There are some recipes on his blog.

Also, you might want to check out the Thug Cookbook (but it does have bad language). Your library might carry it. They have recipes on their blog.

I'm not much of a cook, but the things I've tried making from both of these sources have been tasty, imo.

Also for veggie broth, don't buy commercial. Most brands take not completely ripe veggies, boil, and add a ton so salt. Doesn't make for a satisfying sauce.

Sauté all of your favorites like celery, carrots, shallots, sweet onion, peas (you can use frozen for this because they are flash frozen and usually vine ripened), yellow pepper, parsley, with some vegan butter, garlic, basil, oregano to taste and when the veggies are properly sweat, then add to a crockpot and simmer with just three or four cups of water. Do not do too much water because it dilutes the flavor. Once it is savory to your liking, you can save the broth in the freezer and use the veggies in a casserole or add whatever else you like such as pasta or beans and finish the soup for dinner.

For cream soups you can use plain (not vanilla flavored) almond milk and thicken with corn starch after seasoning to taste. This method makes a nice broccoli and potato soup.

I made stew tonight. We are having one of those gorgeous but slightly chilly autumn days that some how says "soup" to your soul.

• Like 2

One of my favourite vegan or potentially vegan recipes is a curry made with sweet potatoes and chickpeas.  There are a lot of different recipes that use those three elements, so you can look for one that suits you online.  A lot of them do use coconut milk, but you can also use broth and some kind of yoghurt substitute.  Serve over rice or noodles.

Something to think about, if you aren't eliminating meat entirely, is that instead of having one or a few mainly meat meals here and there, you can use smaller amounts of ingredients in recipes that are essentially vegetarian through the week.  So - things like broth, or your fats that you use for cooking, or small amounts as seasoning.  Taking that approach can simplify problems like adding fats or calories, or avoiding vegetarian products that you don't like or which have environmental issues.  In the end you still have only very small amounts of animal products being used.

• Like 1

One of my favourite vegan or potentially vegan recipes is a curry made with sweet potatoes and chickpeas. There are a lot of different recipes that use those three elements, so you can look for one that suits you online. A lot of them do use coconut milk, but you can also use broth and some kind of yoghurt substitute. Serve over rice or noodles.

Something to think about, if you aren't eliminating meat entirely, is that instead of having one or a few mainly meat meals here and there, you can use smaller amounts of ingredients in recipes that are essentially vegetarian through the week. So - things like broth, or your fats that you use for cooking, or small amounts as seasoning. Taking that approach can simplify problems like adding fats or calories, or avoiding vegetarian products that you don't like or which have environmental issues. In the end you still have only very small amounts of animal products being used.

I agree. I'm completely dairy free, but I use ghee for frying or on toast. Tastes way better than any vegan butters without all the strange ingredients.

• Like 1

If you like seitan, it's fairly easy to make at home:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/217170/best-homemade-seitan/

(It takes a bit of time simmering, but it's not a huge amount of work.)

As far as homemade vegan cheeses, this one is a quick and easy Parmesan substitute.  I often use almonds in place of some or all of the cashews:

https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-vegan-parmesan-cheese/

You might consider pudding as a yogurt substitute.  You can make a vanilla cornstarch-thickened pudding from almond / soy / whatever milk.  (I realize it's not the same as yogurt, but it's cool, creamy and good with fruit and / or granola.

Vegan butter substitutes often have palm oil, which you probably want to avoid if you are changing your diet for environmental reasons.

I would recommend checking out cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, especially Isa Does It.  

• Like 1

I like veggie chickpea tagines. I don't have a specific recipe, but this looks similar https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/butternut-squash-chickpea-tagine

I just make sure to include a fair bit of oil; scattering with toasted almonds would be good too.

I plan to make these bean burgers with cashews. The recipe has egg, cheese and mayonnaise, so I don't know if it would be adaptable though

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

Cheese - That’s one of those things that you adjust to over time and find yourself less interested in, ime. I like a good cashew based cheese and Follow Your Heart/Daiya works great in certain applications on a limited basis, but most often? The easiest substitute is no cheese for me. Over top of my spaghetti sometimes I like a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, but when I’m out, red pepper flakes adds that something. I’ve just kind of lost the taste for it.

There’s one exception here and that’s Hot For Food’s vegan nacho cheese sauce (carrots, potatoes, onions) plus seasonings and in my case cashews. I love that stuff.

Stock - I use Better than Bouillon’s no-chicken base or the Kitchen Basics veggie stock.

As for recipes - Richa Hingle is my go to source for Indian food. She has a couple of cookbooks and a blog. Lauren Toyota at Hot for Food has a blog and a YouTube channel. Isa Chandra Moskowitz has many cookbooks and a rather neglected blog. I use her seitan recipe from “Isa Does It†which also happens to be one of my most used cookbooks. Lisa @ the Viet Vegan has pretty accessible recipes on her blog and YouTube channel. Same for Mary’s Test Kitchen.

Of the seitan folks, Field Roast is my favorite and they have a cookbook. I do not like the simmered seitan recipes. I prefer mine steamed/bakedf for texture reasons.

I don’t make veggie burgers and discovered after going vegan that I now really don’t like eggs. As in, yuck, why anyone willingly eat that kind of not like. Taste buds change over time so keep that in mind along the way. The few times that I do want a burger, I just buy the Gardein ones. It’s not that often and I like their better than any other veggie burger I ever tried to make at home. YMMV.

• Like 1