Menu

I would like to call attention to some super cool kids and their coach.

FaithManor

For privacy reasons, I probably shouldn't list the name of the school district. This is the PS that we are zoned for.

The new athletic director, in light of how things have been with professional and some college athletes the past few years, decided that he wanted to incorporate character training and a sense of community connection into his program. All of his teams are now required to perform a certain number of hours of community service this season as a team, not individually.

As many of you know, my father figure did some very deliberately bad things resulting in my mother being saddled with a business bankruptcy she can't get out from underneath. My husband and I and our two sons that are currently at home have been working ourselves into the ground to get the business ready for auction, and we are just overwhelmed with the task. Someone at the school, who is aware of the situation, put a bug in the athletic director's ear. Today at 3 pm, the entire football team as well as the girl's volleyball team and their coaches descended on the business. More than 30 people. My mom just called, moved to tears. The girls and their coach have loaded the entirety of 35+ boxes of literature, catalogs, old files, and paper for recycling and drove it to the facility. The football team has moved 19 fireplaces down from the upstairs and organized them in the show room for auction. They are now carrying all the pipe up from the basement - there were hundreds of pieces and we've been unable to tackle that yet.

What a neat, neat bunch of coaches and students! Things like this do give hope for the future. For all the bad stories we hear about today's youth and the unending problems with education, I thought you should know that there are some pretty amazing bright spots in places.

I am sending brownies and thank you notes to the school next week for these kids and coaches. I am going to the next football game and home volleyball game to root for them. Go Red Hawks!

• Like 33

That's awesome. So much physical work. Plus, it just lightens the mental overwhelming of such a task. What a great coach. Really showing the students how to be leaders.

And I thought our high school's reading program at local elementary schools was cool. Each football and basketball player has a buddy for reading throughout the school year.

• Like 5

It gets better. We worked until 3 pm today at the business again. My niece told me that at the football game last night, they announced over the loudspeaker that a long-standing member of the community, a widow, needed help getting her business ready for sale and anyone willing to volunteer should call the school so they could coordinate efforts. The entire football tea and the girl's volleyball team who have all worked ready, signed up again, something like half the marching band, and several parents!!

I am just over the moon! So much kindness! We honestly did not know how we were going to get this done by the deadline, and now we will make it no sweat. I am hoping that the school is willing to read a thank you letter over the PA system.

• Like 5