Menu

? about Tamiflu

1GirlTwinBoys

I've been in bed sick since Saturday running fever with all the typical flu symptoms.  My 14 year old DD came in from school sick a little while ago.  Should I take her and try to get Tamiflu if she tested positive.  Does it help?  My husband's Dr. is not pro Tamiflu for some reason but not sure why.  The Little Clinic just told me on the phone that it would only take 1-2 days off of the really bad symptoms but that's still good IMO after laying her for 6 days now feeling HORRIBLE.

Thoughts on Tamiflu?

I've been in bed sick since Saturday running fever with all the typical flu symptoms.  My 14 year old DD came in from school sick a little while ago.  Should I take her and try to get Tamiflu if she tested positive.  Does it help?  My husband's Dr. is not pro Tamiflu for some reason but not sure why.  The Little Clinic just told me on the phone that it would only take 1-2 days off of the really bad symptoms but that's still good IMO after laying her for 6 days now feeling HORRIBLE.

Thoughts on Tamiflu?

I agree. The flu can be truly horrible. Eliminating one or two days of misery is a very good thing.

I hope you and your DD feel better soon!

• Like 1

It made a huge difference when my ds had the flu. Dh and I were still ill when he came down with it. We were miserable but he was scary sick, hallucinations, vomiting etc. and the adults were essentially down. Dreadful situation. Tamiflu and antinausea pills turned things around for him rapidly. Dd was just starting to come down with it so we had her treated also. She started taking Tamiflu when she was simply slightly miserable with a high fever. She never really was sick. If you can get a prescription and can afford to it I would. Dh and I had been ill too long for it to work apparently.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1

Save yourself some time, money, and frustration by heading to your local health food market (Sprouts, Whole Foods, Hi-Health, etc).

Buy the smallest bottle of colloidal silver you can. All it is is so many parts per million of silver to water. Unless you're sensitive to silver,

you CAN ingest it. A tablespoon per day for starters should work. Colloidal silver is BOTH anti-viral and anti-baceterial and has worked wonders

for our family. Natural treatment that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Disclaimer: not a medical professional, so not treating or diagnosing. Simply sharing what has worked for our family and isn't full of unpronouncable, questionable chemicals!

ETA: if any of you has a rising fever with flu-like symptoms, a call to your healthcare practitioner is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 1

I personally wouldn't want my child to take Tamiflu.

"In the span of several months, two 14-year-old patients taking Tamiflu -- a boy and a girl -- fell to their deaths from high-rise apartment buildings in suspected suicides, and two 12-year-olds on the medication were injured after falling from buildings. Delirium, hallucinations and psychotic behavior caused one child taking the drug to bolt into traffic to his death. In all, an FDA advisory panel was told last November, there have been 25 deaths and 365 cases of abnormal behavior in children and young adults under 21 who took Tamiflu since it was approved for use in 1999. Although regulators underscored that hallucinations and bizarre behavior can be a consequence of the high fevers and brain inflammation that can come with influenza, they acknowledged they could not, without further scrutiny, rule out a link to Tamiflu."

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/14/health/he-psycheffects14/2

Japan has since banned the use of Tamiflu in teenagers.

From the product insert:

"There have been postmarketing reports (mostly from Japan) of delirium and abnormal behavior leading to injury, and in some cases resulting in fatal outcomes, in patients with influenza who were receiving TAMIFLU. Because these events were reported voluntarily during clinical practice, estimates of frequency cannot be made but they appear to be uncommon based on TAMIFLU usage data. These events were reported primarily among pediatric patients and often had an abrupt onset and rapid resolution. The contribution of TAMIFLU to these events has not been established. Patients with influenza should be closely monitored for signs of abnormal behavior. If neuropsychiatric symptoms occur, the risks and benefits of continuing treatment should be evaluated for each patient."

• Like 1

I can't recommend Elderberry Syrup strongly enough to take for the flu instead of Tamiflu.  Tamiflu's side effects are very unpleasant and one of my kids recovered within 36 hours from first symptom to flu a diagnosis to recovery by following the intensive dosage schedule of Elderberry Syrup.  

• Like 4

I can't recommend Elderberry Syrup strongly enough to take for the flu instead of Tamiflu. Tamiflu's side effects are very unpleasant and one of my kids recovered within 36 hours from first symptom to flu a diagnosis to recovery by following the intensive dosage schedule of Elderberry Syrup.

We take both. :)

He took her and she tested positive at the clinic and it was their first confirmed case. They did give her Tamiflu.

Of course I give it to her and then come on here and read the most horrible reactions to it. :scared:

Anyway, she is sleeping with me and I'll be watching her closely.

I'm sure she will be fine. I worried about side effects when I gave it to my son, too, but the Tamiflu worked wonders and I didn't hesitate to give it to him when he got the flu again.

Every medication has potential side effects. You're doing the right thing by keeping an eye on your dd, just to be safe, but chances are excellent that she won't have any problems at all. It's good if she can eat something so she's not taking it on an empty stomach, to help her avoid nausea (if she's prone to that.)

• Like 1

He took her and she tested positive at the clinic and it was their first confirmed case.  They did give her Tamiflu.

Of course I give it to her and then come on here and read the most horrible reactions to it.   :scared:

Anyway, she is sleeping with me and I'll be watching her closely.

Everyone in my house has taken Tamiflu at some point, none of us had any issue. Don't worry too! I hope she feels better quickly!

• Like 2

We got tamiflu within the first 24 hours of my son's influenza b last year.  We've had the flu here several times and honestly it seemed like it did nothing.  He was still sick over a week.  I wouldn't bother again.  No side affects though - it was fine.

ETA - HUGE fan of elderberry now though. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

I can't recommend Elderberry Syrup strongly enough to take for the flu instead of Tamiflu.  Tamiflu's side effects are very unpleasant and one of my kids recovered within 36 hours from first symptom to flu a diagnosis to recovery by following the intensive dosage schedule of Elderberry Syrup.  

There are multiple studies on pubmed about Elderberry being highly effective agains the flu...shortening duration ands severity by about 50%, which is much better than Tamiflu claims. 

• Like 3

My dd's doctor said elderberry syrup is as effective as Tamiflu and has recommended his patients take it instead of Tamiflu.

My dd's doctor said elderberry syrup is as effective as Tamiflu and has recommended his patients take it instead of Tamiflu.

I believe that. My experience:

My son came down with flu symptoms. I immediately, probably within 2 hours of onset with high fever/aches, took him to urgent care because his brother has a metabolic condition and I was concerned about transmission. He was nose swab positive for flu and prescribed Tamiflu. My husband filled it while I took him home (I never would have paid the I think $600 out of pocket it cost us). My son started it immediately.

I did some research because I was not at all happy about the Tamiflu cost. When my husband and other son came down with flu symptoms within a day or so, I started them and myself on "sick dose" of elderberry syrup.

The two on edlerberry did at least as well as the child on Tamiflu in terms of both duration and symptom strength. I don't mean they didn't have flu--they did, and it was miserable for everyone--but the course of illness was very similar to the course of illness in the Tamiflu treated child.  I continued the eldeberry myself, and never showed any symptoms, which may not have been the eldeberry of course 

I stock eldeberry syrup every flu season now, just in case it's a bad one and I can't find any or something! I didn't feel what we spent on Tamiflu was at all worth the response for him. 

Edited by sbgrace

My only experience with Tamiflu was HORRIBLE. We started our son, who was 13 at the time, on it per our doctor's suggestion. It was expensive, but all that the doctor said was how it would really help, he neglected to say anything about the side effects and how bad/common they are. My son, within hours of taking it, was OUT OF HIS MIND. I mean, delirious and saying stuff that made no sense. He was flopping around and falling out of his bed. I leaned over him, trying to help him drink some gatorade, and he picked up his lamp and was trying to drink from it, rather than the bottle I was holding. At one point he had some delirium and was fighting off an imaginary person. Scared us so bad we took him to the emergency room (which was no picnic as we all had the flu as well) only to find out that it was in fact the Tamiflu.

Never again.

Never never.

Ever.

I gave my kids elderberry syrup when they tested positive for the flu last year. We had never used it before, but I was hesitant to use Tamiflu due to questionable efficacy and side effects. The elderberry syrup was really effective for lessening both the severity and duration of symptoms.

• Like 3

If anyone is on medications for depression or anxiety, I would not take it. My brother-in-law committed suicide while on it. He wrote in a journal while on it, and he wrote as if he was much older than he actually was. He had never shown signs of hallucinations before then. My sister believes the Tamiflu interacted with his medications. They had a plan if he had suicidal thoughts, and he didn't follow it at all.

I tried it once and it made me so nauseous that I couldn't finish the course.

YMMV, but that is a possibility.  I see upthread that they have started to give anti-nausea meds with it--if so, maybe I will try it again sometime.  Since I am prone to asthma, it would be wise to cut down on flu symptoms and duration if possible.

If anyone is on medications for depression or anxiety, I would not take it. My brother-in-law committed suicide while on it. He wrote in a journal while on it, and he wrote as if he was much older than he actually was. He had never shown signs of hallucinations before then. My sister believes the Tamiflu interacted with his medications. They had a plan if he had suicidal thoughts, and he didn't follow it at all.

I remember when that happened and you posted about it, because it was so heartbreaking. It must have been close to 3 years ago, right? It was awful, and I'm still so sorry about it.:(

• Like 1

Amy, I'm so sorry. Thank you for the warning.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I used the Sambucol, but the elderberry syrup. Something like this one  I can't tell what the one you linked is--homeopathic? zinc is the main ingredient? I can't tell if it has any elderberry at all? It's not what I used. 

I remember when that happened and you posted about it, because it was so heartbreaking. It must have been close to 3 years ago, right? It was awful, and I'm still so sorry about it. :(

Thank you so much for remembering! Yes, it almost 3 years ago. My sister has had a very rough 3 years. She lost their only son in February. He had severe epilepsy and many developmental delays from the seizure activity. He was 22 but mentally about 4 and was 24 hour care. She's lost basically her whole world. He had a documented vaccine injury from the old DTP. While she is thankful for medical advances, she definitely has experienced the dark side of it as well. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for remembering! Yes, it almost 3 years ago. My sister has had a very rough 3 years. She lost their only son in February. He had severe epilepsy and many developmental delays from the seizure activity. He was 22 but mentally about 4 and was 24 hour care. She's lost basically her whole world. He had a documented vaccine injury from the old DTP. While she is thankful for medical advances, she definitely has experienced the dark side of it as well. 

So sorry to read this.  Really sad!

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. :crying:

Your poor sister!!! :(

• Like 1

Life can be so incredibly unfair. I'm so sorry.  :grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 2

I have heard Elderberry is not good for people with Auto-immune issues, which is why my family hasn’t tried it yet. Anyone else know about that?

I have read that, too.  Elderberry boosts the immune system, which is already overactive in people with auto-immune issues.  My dd has issues so she won't be taking it.