Menu

Getting a second dog

klmama

I'm down to one from 3 and I don't like it. But he's old (& seems to be wiring money from my account to the vet directly) and we're not sure about adding a second or waiting it out. 

BUT having had 1, 2, & 3 + fosters, I saw a huge benefit in the emotional health of my dogs when they had at least 1 of their own species. If it's a remotely social dog, I think it's good for them. 

We had one dog. He tolerated other dogs but didn't love them. Then we had a relative live with us who had a very social dog, and our dog seemed to move from toleration to enjoyment of another dog around. After that relative moved out we adopted a shelter dog. Our original dog is very patient with our second dog, but she is terrible to him. She is very jealous and has anxiety that manifests at odd times and in odd ways, which she tends to take out on our other dog. She would do much better in a one dog house. 

I guess my takeaway is that all dogs are different. If you have an opportunity to do a trial run to see how two particular dogs get along, I'd highly advise it. I'd also advise that trial be at least a week. Our second dog was very timid the first couple days and avoided our other dog, which isn't at all her true behavior pattern once she got used to our home.

We're down from two to one. Our max has been three (that's just dogs, not counting cats and other critters ;)).

I wouldn't do three again (the first time was accidental--strays who stayed). Too often one is odd dog out and getting ganged up on by the other two.

I think one or two simply comes down to choice and to the dogs' personalities.

Our previous dog had a high level of separation anxiety and finding him a calm companion dog was a truly miraculous cure for that.

I think the main con for having two is the cost -- they can share some toys but everything else is doubled.

It's also quite a bit more of a hassle to walk two dogs than one (and I'm a huge believer in all dogs needing regular walks). You may encounter more behavioral issues. For example, IME two dogs are more likely to become nuisance barkers than one because they egg each other on.

I think our current dog would do okay with a calm, low key companion eventually (and I'd kinda sorta like to have another one). But I don't think he'd be happy to begin with. He's the sort of dog who mostly ignores other dogs. He's high socialized--we travel a lot in an RV and he meets tons of people and dogs in our travels. He simply doesn't seem to care about other dogs. Many years ago I had a dog who was like that, too. So I don't buy into the notion that all dogs benefit from having a companion, especially if they're in a family where someone is home the majority of the time and they're getting lots of interaction. Spending some time on Petfinder and seeing how many dogs are listed as "will do best as an only" is further evidence of that. But I also tend to think that most dogs who spend long hours alone (double income home, kids in school all day) do better with a companion.

If you get another one I'd prioritize matching their personalities and energy levels.

ETA: This is just my personal thing, but if possible I like to have at least two years' difference in my dogs' ages when we have multiples. It's not a guarantee, but it's a little hedge against having two elderly dogs at the same time who may need expensive medication and vet care.

Edited by Pawz4me

I like having two. Right now I have two, but it is a bit of an issue because one is an energetic pup that wants to run and play and the  other is an older dog who was brain injured when young and literally doesn't know how to play. (except maybe once a month when he remembers for a few minutes....it's crazy...we love his "dog" moments!)

I'm tempted to get a third so the young one has someone to run and play with in the yard. It would save me an hour at the park every day. 

We found our second dog only a few months after adopting the first! Poor, neglected animal! Our first dog took a little time to adjust to her new roommate, but now they cuddle together and all. It's super adorable.

However, she's had more than a few incidents of resource hoarding. It's gotten better, but she still will perk up and stare at him if he wanders too close to her hidden pig ear or her recently favorite toy. We're working on it.

We now have three dogs. We started with our standard schnauzer who gets along well with other dogs. Then we decided to raise a puppy for the guide dog center in our area. We raised that dog, a golden retriever until he was one year old. The two dogs got along very well. We were all sad when it was time for the second dog to go into training full time. Well, four months later he flunked out of guide dog school because of his hips and because he was afraid of too many things. We were offered the opportunity to adopt him, so of course, we did. They still get along well, but it is hard to walk them both at the same time. The golden is very large and still pulls on the leash. He also barks at strange dogs which gets the other one going too. Not long after that we were asked to adopt a guide dog that was retiring whom we had watched once before when his blind owner was having surgery. So of course we said yes. We go through a lot of dog food and the vet bills add up, but they are having a great time together. They are all good dogs, but when one barks they all start. I think two is a good number. 

We're also toying with the idea of another. We've always been a 2 dog household. We got our current pup when my in-law's dog was older, and he really gave their dog a needed boost. Now that it's just him and he's getting older, I'd like to get a puppy. He is good with other dogs, but I expect him to be a bit protective with his food and toys, so we will have to work on that. I'm just waiting for him to have surgery for cherry eye. I'm not worried about walking 2 dogs at once because ds, dh and I all walk the dog together as a family activity. We haven't been able to agree on size, though. Everyone wants a large to extra large dog and I want a medium dog. As I will probably do the bulk of the training I'm sure I will get my way. :closedeyes: