Menu

video of DD7 reading

ktgrok

She passed the screening on the Barton website. Got one syllable one wrong - the first one where she tried to break it into sounds versus syllables. Once I explained to say the word at normal speed when clapping she was fine. She messed up a th vs a v on the part C section, but otherwise was fine. 

• Like 1

She's borderline for that sound, last we checked. 

Waiting to hear back from one person still, about testing. I'm going to be honest, $1,200 right now is going to be hard to swing, especially with the holidays coming up. We currently have one bathroom gutted that needs to be finished, etc. 

What I MIGHT do is do the testing that the educational therapist/OG tutor person does. That's $250 and might at least get us an idea of where we are, and where the issues are, and we can go from there. The testing is not diagnostic, but does break things down into their component parts....so naming is a separate test (using objects, not words), hearing sounds is a separate test, etc. I found this about the breakdown: http://www.helloq.com/tests/KTEA-3.html

Think that is at all worthwhile as a starting point? 

Would that $250 test include the CTOPP? The CTOPP is the only thing that matters. Or ask why she's not doing a CTOPP.

I don't know the KTEA, but a really general test is more likely to give you really general, unactionable results. If you're going to pay money, you want something that is targeted and precise, that tells you whether the thing you were wondering about is actually happening or not. I don't know anything about that test she's offering, but that's what I would be asking. If your question is phonological processing, CTOPP is the normal test. If your question is auditory processing disorder, TAPS or SCAN. Some of these brief things they run, I don't know. Just the track record seems to be parents coming back frustrated that the results were too general to tell them anything. 

So ask what it will tell you. Look at info online about the test and see what it will help you change.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I'm going to ask specifically why she prefers the KTEA III to the CTOPP but from what I'm seeing, the comprehensive form of the KTEAIII has the same subtests, I think. The slides you linked to, about screening, refer to a brief form of the KTEA, vs the comprehensive form, which is what this person uses. The comprehensive form has the following subtests:

Phonological Processing (PP)

Math Concepts & Applications (MCA)
Letter & Word Recognition (LWR)
Math Computation (MC)
Nonsense Word Decoding (NWD)
New! Writing Fluency (WF)
New! Silent Reading Fluency (SRF)
New! Math Fluency (MF)
Reading Comprehension (RC)
Written Expression (WE)
Associational Fluency (AF)
Spelling (SP)
Object Naming Facility (ONF)
New! Reading Vocabulary (RV)
Letter Naming Facility (LNF)
Listening Comprehension (LC)
Word Recognition Fluency (WRF)
Oral Expression (OE)
Decoding Fluency (DF)

The object naming facility one seems to be the Rapid Naming portion. I'm going to look more into it though. 

In the meantime I'm reading more up on dyslexia, and was surprised to find there are different types. She seems to fit PERFECTLY in the Surface Dyslexia description. It's SO what she is doing. And...weirder and more surprising....I fit several of the dysphonia dyslexia characteristics. Mind you, I'm a "good" reader and read very very quickly. But I do skip words fairly often,a nd if I see an unfamiliar word have trouble sounding it out...in fact because I like to read quickly I often just don't sound it out...I make note of the beginning syllable or two and then recognize the word in future text without having a clue what the word actually is. It doesn't bother me because I'm good at figuring things out via context.  I also have vivid memories of being told that Trixie Belden's brother's name was Brian, not Brain, by my mother....AFTER reading almost the entire series. I read twenty books certain his name was Brain...because he was the smart sibling so that made sense to me, lol. I'm also a horrid speller. I'm also positive I have Dysgraphia. (I've had someone with OT experience look at my handwriting expecting to tel me no, and then go..."wow, yeah...that's bad!"  Anyway, that's just an aside, lol. 

But the surface dyslexia fits her. 

2. Surface dyslexia - an over-reliance on sound symbol relationships as the process of reading never becomes automatic. These children break every word down to its phonetic base, and read slowly due to poor orthographic processing.

WORD   READ AS

island → izland

grind → grinned

listen →liston

begin →beggin

lace →lake

And this slide deck I found has specific curriculum recommendations for that type of Dyslexia, including a few I've actually heard of, like Read Naturally and Fast Track Reading. 

Obviously I'm not stopping my research here, just wanted to share some initial finds. 

• Like 1

That's how you sort it out! You're doing the right thing being an informed consumer. As long as you know what you're getting for the money and are happy with it, that's what matters. You can ask questions like does it lead to a diagnosis or is it a screening, will she create a full written report, will that report be acceptable to take to a ped to get her access to Learning Ally, Bookshare, National Library Service/BARD, etc. 

Really, I think when we started this, most people were trying to get you a low starting point, something that would be precise enough to tell you whether, at some point, a longer, traditional psych eval would be warranted. You're finding options that do that. And you can talk about when you'd want to move on to that and why. For instance, ADHD will be 60% comorbid. Does the KTEA kick out working memory numbers? I think it said it is used to look for other SLDs as well. That's a real bonus. But would she diagnose them or refer? Psych will usually do screenings for other things like motor planning, anxiety, depression, etc. 

That's cool that you're connecting dots! 

I totally forgot that an old high school friend is an educational psychologist! Chatted with her a bit as well, wish she was local. We are going to do the full KTEA3 next week and in the meantime will move forward with having the school system set up some testing maybe....an IQ test will give us a better look at processing speed, working memory, etc and they should be able to do that, it will just take a while. We may give up and go private before then, but i'll get the process started. 

In the meantime....not sure what to do. Work on simple words to fluency, like Bob Books and such? Or print out those flashcards someone linked?

• Like 1

I totally forgot that an old high school friend is an educational psychologist! Chatted with her a bit as well, wish she was local. We are going to do the full KTEA3 next week and in the meantime will move forward with having the school system set up some testing maybe....an IQ test will give us a better look at processing speed, working memory, etc and they should be able to do that, it will just take a while. We may give up and go private before then, but i'll get the process started.

In the meantime....not sure what to do. Work on simple words to fluency, like Bob Books and such? Or print out those flashcards someone linked?

I would do word lists and flash cards of short vowel words and watch the blending words video with her. I would also do the short vowel syllables. Do that for a week or two, then the long vowel syllables and then long vowel syllables with blends.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=41s&v=Eed_-elWl6k

Edited by ElizabethB

When is that eval with the KTEA going to be? If it's not going to be very long, you might kind of go in holding mode for a while till you get the results. That would let you know, I would think, whether you should pursue something disability-specific. Like if the results are showing dyslexia, you might decide to change curricula entirely. Or the therapist might have other ways to target how you use materials you already have. Right now you're guessing what the holes are, because you don't have data.

Like me, first thing I'd probably do is RAN/RAS work. However you really don't want to do that before this test.

In general, I would back up in whatever you've been using (AAR, whatever), go to the simplest, earliest lists of words, and put them into Quizlet and drill to fluency. So like AAR 1, lesson 1, list 1 words, drill that to fluency. Then, when those are fluent, load the AAR 1, lesson 1, list 1 phrases and drill to fluency. Then AAR 1, lesson 1, list 1 sentences, drill to fluency. 

Hopefully it won't be too long till the testing! That's cool that your friend was able to help you sort out your path. And if you have the testing from this first round in-hand by the time you have the sit-down with the school, that will be your evidence that they should do the testing themselves to identify the disability, which gets you the larger evals you want.

• Like 1

The testing is actually next week! She had an opening and we were able to shift some things so we could make it. 

I'm thinking what I might do is take the words from the first Bob book and make them into flashcards or put them in Quizlet. Work on those and then maybe move on to reading the first book, one page at a time. She likes those books.

Nahh, I wouldn't fiddle with the Bob books, not if the testing is just next week. Go play games and do field trips. Life is too short to screw around with stuff that isn't fun. (Bias, my kids didn't really like the Bob books. Well ds didn't mind them and dd hated them.)

I mean, do what you want, but I wouldn't feel compelled to. Declare it a week of art and board games. Sew dresses for her American Girl dolls. Tomorrow is Friday, right? Watch the Great Courses cooking show and cook everything it. That's what I'm doing with ds. Tonight we watched episode 3 and learned how to make ratatouille and clarified butter and the proper way to fry an egg. Might need to do a shopping trip to look for a sauce whisk, now that I know what one is. Field trip. :D

PS. That's exciting you're getting in so fast!! It will probably make you feel a lot better. :)

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth

PPS. How many days is the testing? She's likely to be very tired. It would be a very good week to do art, FIAR projects, cooking, sewing, whatever. Just keep it chilled. Make your Thanksgiving plan and get new cookbooks from the library to choose recipes together. Make a pinterest board together.

Total aside, but tech is a killer way to lure kids into reading when their fledgling skills are there. With a girl, Pinterest might be fabulous. With my ds, I intentionally let him have apps, partly because I know he's going to try to read to keep up with them. So doing Pinterest with her can have ulterior motives. ;)