Menu

Common App Recommendations and ACT scores

OnMyOwn

Can we submit the application before all recommendations are in? If we do and additional recommenders finish theirs through the common app, will the college get them?

Also, can I go ahead and send official ACT scores before we've submitted the application? I've been waiting to do that because I thought I had read somewhere that the colleges will just pitch them if they don't have an application on file.

We have one deadline of November 1st coming up that we're going to be waiting until the last minute for one recommendation, but if I wait to request ACT scores to be sent, they may not be at the college by November 1. I have no idea how long it takes for them to receive the ACT scores.

Each person submits independently. The counselor, student, and recommended portions are all tied together in the database.

The counselor dashboard allows you to see what is and is not currently submitted and what has been downloaded by the school.

• Like 3

Can we submit the application before all recommendations are in? If we do and additional recommenders finish theirs through the common app, will the college get them?

Also, can I go ahead and send official ACT scores before we've submitted the application? I've been waiting to do that because I thought I had read somewhere that the colleges will just pitch them if they don't have an application on file.

We have one deadline of November 1st coming up that we're going to be waiting until the last minute for one recommendation, but if I wait to request ACT scores to be sent, they may not be at the college by November 1. I have no idea how long it takes for them to receive the ACT scores.

I do not believe that is true that schools will toss ACT scores if they don't have an application. I think they will start a file for the student with the ACT scores.

We have sent ACT scores while still waiting to finish up an application and we have sent ACT scores junior year when they test even though they will not apply until the next year. No problems.

• Like 4

I sent ACT scores to most the schools before the application and none had a problem linking them together.

You can submit the student portion of the common app whenever you are done.

So, Julie and JanetC, are you saying I don't have to wait until the recommenders all do their part before I submit? Edited by OnMyOwn

I do not believe that is true that schools will toss ACT scores if they don't have an application. I think they will start a file for the student with the ACT scores.

We have sent ACT scores while still waiting to finish up an application and we have sent ACT scores junior year when they test even though they will not apply until the next year. No problems.

I don't know how common it is, but our local CC did toss my dd's ACT scores (they would have received them several months before her application though. They didn't toss my son's, which came in only a month or two before his application. Maybe some schools have a time frame? OTOH, they accepted my parent copy so I didn't have to pay to resubmit or anything!)

• Like 1

I don't know how common it is, but our local CC did toss my dd's ACT scores (they would have received them several months before her application though. They didn't toss my son's, which came in only a month or two before his application. Maybe some schools have a time frame? OTOH, they accepted my parent copy so I didn't have to pay to resubmit or anything!)

I did send the ACT scores, but all of my son's applications should be in by the end of next week, so hopefully that will be okay.

Interestingly, the schools he is applying to seem to already know he is completing applications for their schools through the common app.

• Like 1

Yes, the student can go ahead and submit the app. Keep watching to make sure the recommenders get their part done before any deadlines though (and remind them if the time is getting close.)

I read your post as "Good Grief! We already told you to go ahead and submit." Lol!

I'm getting so excited for my son as I see him becoming excited about college that I am also getting to be quite nervous about making a mistake.

• Like 1