Menu

Parking questions for those living around DC

tdbates78

We are spending Thanksgiving in DC this year, driving up from NC. Our hotel does have parking, at a fairly expensive daily rate. We obviously won't need the vehicle during our visit so we are trying to figure out if there is a secure lot somewhere outside of the city where we can leave our vehicle for a few days and train in? Does something like this exist? Or is it better to just park in the city?

Edited by tdbates78

You can check Parking Panda for a cheaper rate either near your hotel or a Subway stop. Somewhere near the hotel seems way more convenient.

You could also park offsite at Reagan but I don't think that's worth the hassle either. Something near your hotel shouldn't be that much more expensive.

Some VRE stations offer free overnight parking. VRE hours are very limited since it is a commuter train.

What is the daily rate at your hotel?

That's a good question. Part of going to DC is paying for parking. If you're used to free but now need to pay $20, that might seem like a lot. I would be happy to pay $20 per night. I think it would need to be over $30 before I started looking at other options.

That's a good question. Part of going to DC is paying for parking. If you're used to free but now need to pay $20, that might seem like a lot. I would be happy to pay $20 per night. I think it would need to be over $30 before I started looking at other options.

Yup.

Even then I'd be a little concerned leaving my car for several days in a less secure lot.

I agree with Parking Panda.  You might find overnight garages that are cheaper along the Metro lines in Virginia (or Maryland). I know the garage near me (Dunn Loring station) is really cheap. But I’m not sure if they allow overnight parking or if they tow. The question though will be whether the cost of parking and taking the train in is less than the cost to just park in a garage in DC. My guess for a family of 4 is no. For us, it’s often about the same cost to drive into the city and park for the day at a garage using Parking Panda as it is to Metro. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses! The rate is $35 per day. Now granted Charlotte's parking isn't very expensive but this seems rather high. But I don't want to be greatly inconvenienced either. I will definitely check out Parking Panda.

Edited by tdbates78