Menu

DVD based elementary math?

AnneBlessedx4

My 2nd grader is LOVING BJU math lessons on dvd. She is about a third of the way through the course and still thinks it is the greatest thing ever. She has gained a deeper understanding of math via this method.

MUS are shorter videos and move a bit fast. Still good but I find I prefer to watch them with my son so I can teach it deeper in the way Steve Demme does.

If I had to choose one or the other for us based on the videos, it would be BJU hands down.

BJ Press has great math with a DVD option. They usually go on sale every year in Dec for $99 for online access. The DVD option is more expensive.

I have used their math from K all the way to up where we are right now in Alg 2. This is the first year we have used the video option to assist me in teaching. It is fabulous! BJ Press is much more challenging than Thinkwell (at least for Algebra 1) and definitely harder than TT - which I have looked at). I love it that the teacher editions have every step of the equations, not just the answers. Students learn several strategies for problem solving and the teaching is designed for understanding first before you have to "do it." For my family, it is a good fit.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/content/about-distance-learning-dvd

Thinkwell also has 6th grade math - I think. We used the Thinkwell videos to assist with some of Alg 1, but they did not match up very well. But the teacher is wonderful and explains so clearly! Thinkwell goes on sale for about 1/2 price every month with homeschool buyers coop. They have a DVD option to add to the online access - if bandwidth is an issue for your family.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/thinkwell-math/

CTC Math is having a sale right now for homeschoolers with a 2 week free trial so you can see a few lessons. The reviews are very positive and the price is affordable. This is online - not DVD

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/math/grades-k-6/ctc-math

https://www.ctcmath.com/how-it-works/home-school

Good luck as you research!

Just another idea.

I create my kiddos a playlist in youtube for their math instruction. It takes time, I go lesson by lesson and save a video for every lesson into the playlist. I then create a spreadsheet that names the video, book lesson, practice problems, and homework problems that should be done. They scratch off as they go.

This route is good if you find a program that you like/prefer, but doesn't come with a DVD option.

And yes, you can find a youtube video for every grade and math topic. The trouble will be picking which one. You'll end up with a few favorites; like Math Antics for us.

• Like 1

BJ Press has great math with a DVD option. They usually go on sale every year in Dec for $99 for online access. The DVD option is more expensive.

Is the online videos the same as the DVD lectures? Also, if you purchase in December do you get access for the same amount of time as the DVDs? My daughter is flying through her 2nd grade math year and will be in 3rd by February at this point. Your post made me wonder if it would be worth getting the sale in December even if she doesn't start it until February.

Didn't mean to high jack! I just got excited at the prospect of a deal :)

The online sale gives access for 12 months. So, the online access I bought for my girl back last December, I will have to re-buy it again to finish out her Alg 2. Buying the online access on sale twice is still cheaper than buying the DVD's to rent for a year.

If you will be ready to start in Feb, you would have plenty of time to finish the course before the 12 month access is over. And the beginning of the next level of BJ math always reviews the prior year, so you might be able to start the online after the holidays if the content for end of the year with your current course is covered anyway in the review. Either way, if it were my family - I would consider buying it. Have you checked their website for links to see sample lessons? I did that for the math for my daughter.  It helped to see the teacher's face and hear the manner of the teaching.

It might be possible for you to view the table of contents on the BJ Press website. Amazon and CBD  will sometimes let you see inside of a book for the table of contents and sample pages. 

Edited by Pistachio mom

I know with high school math, a Teacher Ed PDF is available online as part of the parent's login access. (There may also be a link for a student e-book. )The student does need to have a book for the course we are using.

Honestly, I think it is easier to have your own teacher book. You would need to just call and ask or email and ask someone. It might depend on which grade level you are doing.

For my daughter, we have both the TE, and the student book. The quizzes and tests can be taken and graded online. I choose not to do that. We use the printed quizzes and tests.

Thankfully, we have the flexibility to skip to any lessons we need to , so I can skip the online tests since we do our testing on paper instead.

The online sale gives access for 12 months. So, the online access I bought for my girl back last December, I will have to re-buy it again to finish out her Alg 2. Buying the online access on sale twice is still cheaper than buying the DVD's to rent for a year.

If you will be ready to start in Feb, you would have plenty of time to finish the course before the 12 month access is over. And the beginning of the next level of BJ math always reviews the prior year, so you might be able to start the online after the holidays if the content for end of the year with your current course is covered anyway in the review. Either way, if it were my family - I would consider buying it. Have you checked their website for links to see sample lessons? I did that for the math for my daughter. It helped to see the teacher's face and hear the manner of the teaching.

It might be possible for you to view the table of contents on the BJ Press website. Amazon and CBD will sometimes let you see inside of a book for the table of contents and sample pages.

Thank you :) It is so much cheaper this way so I am grateful you mentioned it!

I just love BJU! Right now I my house I have one kid on Rightstart and Beast Academy, one on MUS and Saxon and my daughter does BJU and Singspore. I think BJU is my new favorite. I love the way it teaches math, I love the pace, love the lectures, just everything about it. I am trying to convince my DS doing MUS and Saxon to move to BJU next year but he likes what he is doing.