Menu

CSS Profile Help

Joker

Ds is applying to two schools that require the Profile and it's been going fine until the student military income section.

It says it's required and asks me to pick which VA benefits student will receive but there is not a none option. I've gone through the application and can't see anything I accidentally checked that would make them think ds is receiving benefits. I did check that DH had served but he's been out for 17 years and none of his benefits go to ds for college.

There is an other option and it asks you to explain so I could put eligible for none there. I'm just confused why it's required and no option for he isn't eligible. 

Is this the same for everyone? Am I missing something (which is possible because all this stuff is starting to drive me crazy!). 

Ds is applying to two schools that require the Profile and it's been going fine until the student military income section.

It says it's required and asks me to pick which VA benefits student will receive but there is not a none option. I've gone through the application and can't see anything I accidentally checked that would make them think ds is receiving benefits. I did check that DH had served but he's been out for 17 years and none of his benefits go to ds for college.

There is an other option and it asks you to explain so I could put eligible for none there. I'm just confused why it's required and no option for he isn't eligible. 

Is this the same for everyone? Am I missing something (which is possible because all this stuff is starting to drive me crazy!). 

Is something checked that would make it seem that the student himself is a military veteran?

Is something checked that would make it seem that the student himself is a military veteran?

No. I've gone through it several times and also had ds and dh go through it. The only checked box regarding serving in the military was for dh. It asked if this parent is serving or had served.

• Like 1

I found the CSS/Profile FAQ document.  https://finaidonline.collegeboard.com/fin/VignetteServlet/VignetteServlet.srv?relativePath=/profile/pdfs/1718_profile_faqs.pdf

What are veteran's educational benefits?  Students who are veterans or who are eligible dependents of qualified veterans may be entitled to receive educational benefits to attend degree, certificate, or remedial education programs. The level of benefits is determined by the Department of Defense and is dependent on the length and type of service and whether or not death or disability resulted from the service. Veteran's benefits are paid on a monthly basis. Examples of educational benefits include: the Montgomery G.I. Bill, the Veteran's Educational Assistance Program, and the Survivor's and Dependent's Educational Assistance Program. If the student is currently receiving or has applied to receive these benefits, the benefit type, monthly amount (or expected amount), and the number of months the benefit will be received must be reported in SR-100, SR-103, and SR-105.

How are veteran's educational benefits evaluated in the financial aid process?  These benefits are considered in determining the student's eligibility for financial aid. However, veteran's benefits do not reduce the amount of any Pell Grant for which the student may qualify.

How exactly is the question phrased and what options do you have for answering?  

It's a drop down menu and is required I pick an option. It lists all of the above and has a choice for other. That's it.

No option for none.

As of now, I chose other and when asked to provide details typed in eligible for none. Then I just typed in 0 for amounts when asked how much he would be getting.

It's a drop down menu and is required I pick an option. It lists all of the above and has a choice for other. That's it.

No option for none.

As of now, I chose other and when asked to provide details typed in eligible for none. Then I just typed in 0 for amounts when asked how much he would be getting.

That sounds like is should be ok.  If you have space, you might also specify that the student is not a veteran.