Menu

Cold Brew Coffee Drinkers and At-Home Brewers

unsinkable

These ???s are mostly for DS bc I don't really drink it.

We have a cold brew glass carafe with filter and it seems to be working well. DS brought regular Folgers bc he was just really excited about using it and didn't realize that coarse ground is better for this purpose. Not many grounds are getting thru, however, so that is good. And I guess the taste is fine.

1. What brand do you like, given that he seems to not mind the taste of Folgers. Is there a different/better tasting coarse ground you'd recommend?

2. Do you have a "holding" container for when the brewing container only has a serving or so left, to transfer the last couple servings so you can start another pot? Bc it takes 24 hours to brew.

3. If he brews a flavored coffee, will the flavor linger in the strainer or container?

Thanks in advance for any help!

A mason jar works fine to hold it. Or any other pitcher. I’d definitrlt not do Folgers - because cold brew coffees are lower in acid I’d go with a Kenyan or other beans known for being brighter and fruitier. And a lighter roast is better. Medium roasts if you can find them in the grocery store.

I always just grab beans from a local toaster or use Blue Bottle Coffee’s subscription service, which is great for trying out a bunch of different high quality beans and seeing what you like, without a major cost outlay :)

https://bluebottlecoffee.com

OK, cool. I'm going to do some research or tell him what you said in this post about those of coffee.

I've got to look for a mason jar...most of mine are filled with melted candle from parties, haha.

And yes, don’t brew a flavored coffee unless your brewer is something like glass or porcelain and can be completely cleaned of the flavor. Plastic will absolutely maintain that flavor for multiple brews.

The carafe is glass. But I was worried about the filter, too.

Thanks for the replies!

We like a strong brew, so we use Cafe Bustelo. I buy the large cans at Target. 

We store extra coffee in a mason jar, but honestly any glass jar will work. 

Yes, flavors will taint your pot. The oils in coffee can build up and the flavors cling to the oils.  A good vinegar rinse of the pot periodically can help.  Instead, if he likes sweetened coffee, add a flavored syrup like Torani syrup. Most grocers sell a few basic flavors. Restaurant supply stores like Cash and Carry, sell many flavors.

Some people like flavored creamers.  I don't care for them but to each their own.

I use a mason jar. One cup of french roast coffee and fill it up to the top.

I strain it with a coffee filter in a small colander over a mixing bowl. While it drips, I wash out the jar. Then I pour the concentrate back in the mason jar and put it in the refrigerator.

I mix my 1:3 with soy milk and heat it up. My son does the same with whole milk and keeps it cold. We like milky coffee! Some use water to dilute it.

We like a strong brew, so we use Cafe Bustelo. I buy the large cans at Target.

We store extra coffee in a mason jar, but honestly any glass jar will work.

Yes, flavors will taint your pot. The oils in coffee can build up and the flavors cling to the oils. A good vinegar rinse of the pot periodically can help. Instead, if he likes sweetened coffee, add a flavored syrup like Torani syrup. Most grocers sell a few basic flavors. Restaurant supply stores like Cash and Carry, sell many flavors.

Some people like flavored creamers. I don't care for them but to each their own.

Thanks...DS mostly drinks his black. Gag.

The flavor idea was for me bc I saw a Trader Joe's flavored coffee.

I use a mason jar. One cup of french roast coffee and fill it up to the top.

I strain it with a coffee filter in a small colander over a mixing bowl. While it drips, I wash out the jar. Then I pour the concentrate back in the mason jar and put it in the refrigerator.

I mix my 1:3 with soy milk and heat it up. My son does the same with whole milk and keeps it cold. We like milky coffee! Some use water to dilute it.

Thanks...maybe I can use this system if I buy some flavored coffee for myself and keep his carafe untainted.

As far as coffee goes, I use the same organic types I would use for a hot cup. That can be Ethiopian / Kenyan / Kona. We have a large local selection for good coffee.

I set it up in a large glass container with a lid and leave it sitting to brew. Then I filter it in smaller batches through my French press and keep it in the fridge.

• Like 1

Thanks...maybe I can use this system if I buy some flavored coffee for myself and keep his carafe untainted.

LOL. I bought some pumpkin spice coffee at Lidl and used it 50/50 with my regular French roast. My oldest did NOT approve. He said no cinnamon in coffee.

So we'll do separate jars for awhile. It was just a small bag.