Menu

Mattress topper that is not foam?

DawnM

We need a mattress topper (for my son's college dorm bed that is like a camping/cabin type board!)  but my Aspie is really finicky about textures.  He hates foam/gel/anything that he sinks into.  He wants something more firm, that when he sits on, it won't mold to him.  He says he moves too much and foam conforms too much and he hates it.

I am considering maybe a futon type mattress????

https://www.amazon.com/Futon-Furniture-Traditional-Japanese-Mattresses/dp/B003VQNM2I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508408918&sr=8-2&keywords=japanese+futon+mattress

I really don't want to spend over $75 if I an help it.  He has quite a bit to buy for college.  But I do want him to be comfortable too.

Any ideas?

We use a sleeping bag that's been opened and has the inside out. We then put a blanket over it. We sleep on top of the blanket, or on top of a sheet that is on top of the blanket. It's very firm but soft and cozy.

Latex toppers have worked for me as well.  I have found very good deals on craigslist and they were almost brand new.  One, the person was moving out of state, so was downsizing.  The other, the person had trimmed the corners. For some reason, he said it didn't fit his bed. So instead of returning it to the company he trimmed it down. He then decided he wanted a different softness, so ended up selling it on craigslist for a fraction of the cost.  We have a queen and twin toppers and have never had a problem with the 'fit' or length. You can get latex toppers in firm, medium or soft. So you have choices.   Check craigslist or virtual yardsales in your area, you just never know!  

• Like 1

We use a sleeping bag that's been opened and has the inside out. We then put a blanket over it. We sleep on top of the blanket, or on top of a sheet that is on top of the blanket. It's very firm but soft and cozy.

I don't think that will be enough.  It is almost like sleeping directly on the floor.  But maybe.....it would need to be a really thick one.

We use mattress pads, the puffy ones, instead of toppers. 

This has the added  benefit that they are waterproof and stop dust mites.

We just put the bottom sheet on over the pad, and  voila.

Not sure that will be enough either.  Seriously, think pretty much sleeping on a floor with either wood or a flat industrial carpet.