Menu

help me find this old book about a girl and a horse

I read an adolescent novel about 25 years ago about a girl and a horse.  I only remember a few details of it, but I would love to be able to get it for my DD because I remember LOVING the book.  I believe that the girl found a wild horse, or she stole the horse because he was mistreated.  She hid him in the woods near an abandoned cabin or stable. She cared for him, they bonded, and she desperately wanted to keep him.  Her dad found out and was angry, and was planning to get rid of or sell him or maybe return him to the owner.  The night before he was going to get rid of him, she snuck out of her house to set the horse free.  The horse did not want to leave her and she had to throw her flashlight at him to make him run away.  The next day, she found out that her dad had changed his mind and was going to let her keep him.  I think the last line of the book said, "and maybe he will come back some day" ...or something.

Any ideas?

That has such a similar story line but I don't think it could be the same.  One of the reviews said this one has a happy ending, and in the one I am thinking of, it was not happy with the horse running off into the night and then finding out that the dad had changed his mind.  Thank you though!

That has such a similar story line but I don't think it could be the same.  One of the reviews said this one has a happy ending, and in the one I am thinking of, it was not happy with the horse running off into the night and then finding out that the dad had changed his mind.  Thank you though!

I knew it was too easy!! lol