Dog fighting

Dog racing

Puppy mills

Breed specific legislation

Wild animals at the circus

Fracking

Sonar that hurts the whales

Whatever it is that is killing the bees

And most importantly, perfume/cologne anywhere near me.

Edited to add: anyone who pushes an essential oil as sound medical advice.

Wish I could do more than "Like" this.  Esp. the last one. ;)

Edited by Lizzie in Ma
  • Like 2

The sound the credit card machine makes when you use the chip reader.  It sounds like your card is being rejected but it's accepted.  I hate that noise.

Right????  It sounds like you've just done something horribly wrong!  SO not an "approved" sound.  I think it should sound like a crowd cheering. ;)

• Like 5

We aren't allowed to have these in Canada.  When I watch American channels, I am always blown away that a third are drug ads, and a third are injury lawyers.

We've often run through scenarios in our mind:

"Dr Jones, I need XYZ to help me with _____.  Can you prescribe it for me?"

"Mrs. R, thank you so much for bringing that to my attention!  I was completely unaware of how much better XYZ is for your situation.  It's a good thing you brought it up!"

I have no idea how your doctors know what to prescribe to people if those folks aren't able to learn what the perfect prescription is for them from a 30 second long ad!  Years of med school and experience can't hold a candle to the info in those ads.   :lol:

• Like 4

I would ban TVs from waiting rooms.  I've had to tell reception staff that I'll be waiting out in the hall, simply to avoid the the loud, obnoxious TV programs often played in waiting rooms.  It's not what I need when I'm trying to be calm before I have my blood pressure taken.

• Like 9

I would ban TVs from waiting rooms. I've had to tell reception staff that I'll be waiting out in the hall, simply to avoid the the loud, obnoxious TV programs often played in waiting rooms. It's not what I need when I'm trying to be calm before I have my blood pressure taken.

This! I took my son to the Public Health Department the other day for a thing required for one of his DE classes and they were playing the movie "The Sixth Sense" in the waiting room. I guess because it's October they thought it is totally fine to play a scary movie with lots of child screaming and in peril scenes (I haven't actually seen the movie - it's just what was on when we were there). When I went and asked the receptionist to either turn it off or turn off the volume, she totally rolled her eyes at me and said "0kaaaaay" in a super snarky tone. I was shocked that they thought it was appropriate for a public setting like that!

(And she did turn it off, but then was whispering to every other employee that came by while we were there. Ugh!)

• Like 5

I would ban TVs from waiting rooms. I've had to tell reception staff that I'll be waiting out in the hall, simply to avoid the the loud, obnoxious TV programs often played in waiting rooms. It's not what I need when I'm trying to be calm before I have my blood pressure taken.

and restaurants! Even nicer places are starting to install tvs. Can we really not sit down for an hour without being passively entertained!
  • Like 7

and gas pumps! I hate Gas Station TV. Just let me pump my gas in peace without a TV blaring at me.

Not a problem in NJ where we are not allowed to pump our own gas.

I can do without a tv in every restaurant.  I am okay in the doc waiting room if the volume is low and it is not fox news or that Tomi person.  Editing my list.  She should be banned from tv.

• Like 2

I would love to ban the cinnamon pine cones that stores sell from now till after Christmas. They set off my asthma and are so irritating to the airways of many people.

They are Everywhere here for months of the year, so I guess they are very, very popular. I hate going grocery shopping for the months of Nov and December every year because of them.

Yes, those pine cones about kill me every year!!!

Ugh, yes. I really like my dentist, but there are two waiting room TVs on different channels (waiting room is about the size of a gutted galley kitchen), each semi-private exam room has two TVs (one ahead and one on the ceiling) which are all on different channels, plus they play background music on speakers everywhere. I bring a book with me, which is always a source of amazement and/or discussion, but they don't seem to get the hint that not everyone wants to watch TV. It's louder in there than at the very busy pediatric dentist my kids go to.

• Like 2

I used to have a tiny universal remote on a keychain. It had a power button and a volume control. It made me feel like I had a super-power! (Silence, you silly advertisements! Be gone, Jerry Springer!) I lost it a couple of years ago, and never got around to replacing it.

• Like 9

If both lanes are full, as they should be, there would be no place to “jump around everyoneâ€. That’s the point.

I'm in agreeance with you. I completely get the point. They just don't work well around here and it ends up frustrating everyone. It should be nice and easy one-car-at-a-time merge. But drivers use shoulders to go around those waiting to merge so essentially it becomes three lanes merging into one and then they try to merge well past the merging spot and nobody wants to let them in so that is tailgating. I never had problems with zipper lanes until moving here.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, our newspaper has a front page article in it today about zipper merging!  Here's how it starts:

Late Lane Merge:

A legitimate strategy or just rude? by Joel Shannon

The morning commute just got a little longer - a lane is closed and traffic is backed up.

And, of course, you're in the wrong lane.  The orange sign told you so.

You heed its warning, find an opening and merge, joining the correct lane - the one that won't end two miles up the road.

Meanwhile, several vehicles in the other lane fly by.

Jerks.  Come on - we all saw the sign. Get in line like the rest of us.  Don't think I'm gonna cut you a break up there.

For many motorists in Pennsylvania, it's a familiar narrative.  Traffic delays are bad enough without adding cheaters to the mix.

Here's the thing.  Those cars flying by aren't cheaters.  And they aren't wrong.

The law

(The article continues...but I don't care to copy the whole thing.  One can probably google it.)

• Like 1

We just switched to DirecTV. First, I'd ban the decisions of husbands who feel the need to switch providers every six months, leaving me no time to watch the months of DVR shows I've lovingly hoarded for some imaginary time in the future that I'm able to sit and watch such shows. I will sell my kidney to pay the extra for you to have your spendy sports package with our current provider. It's like the automatic computer updates that close my 57 open internet tabs.

I ban all of the people and things that mess with my hoarded stashes!

Next, still re: DirecTV, I'm banning its remote. I like that some of the buttons click. I don't like that every single button clicks every single time I press it. Also, it doesn't have a button that lights up the keys but it DOES have a thousand buttons that are tiny and similarly sized. So at night, I have to hit 13 different wrong buttons just to find the DVR list and volume/mute. This leads to lots of unnecessary clicks. It makes me twitch and sometimes wakes up the baby sleeping with me. I think we used to have Dish. I liked their remote better. I should probably give up TV for Lent next year.  :huh:

I'm also going to ban drive thru lanes where you're locked in by curbs or shrubs. I like me an exit strategy. LOL

• Like 1

I hate that the chip reader tells me DO NOT REMOVE CARD...DO NOT REMOVE CARD...then all of a sudden beeps loudly at me and wants me to remove the card NOW. I would ban bossy and impatient machines.

I had to ban the google maps app in our home for that reason. I'd taken to calling the narrator the google bit*%. We use Siri with a British accent so it sounds like an English butler rather than a harpy woman. Sometimes when we're traveling we have to revert to google, but most of the time it's fine.

• Like 1

and restaurants! Even nicer places are starting to install tvs. Can we really not sit down for an hour without being passively entertained!

Oh man, one time I got stuck watching a crime scene (tv show, not the news at least) while I was trying to eat. GROSS!!! I think some other patrons got a waitor's attention and he changed the channel. You know, after I had seen some body parts or whatever.

I complained to dh about tvs in restaurants and he said he liked it. Ds and I ate in a Burger King recently and the employee was zoned out. Later I realized he was looking at a TV across the room.

(I just went through this so it is on my mind) ...

Follow up appointments one week later to check the fit of my new contacts! I have worn contacts for over 30 years now. I know if they fit. I don't need to take another lunch hour to go back in, sit in the stupid chair, and have the optometrist look at my eyes for 10 seconds.

They will not order my supply of contacts until I go back so I am basically held hostage by this rule. 

• Like 3

(I just went through this so it is on my mind) ...

Follow up appointments one week later to check the fit of my new contacts! I have worn contacts for over 30 years now. I know if they fit. I don't need to take another lunch hour to go back in, sit in the stupid chair, and have the optometrist look at my eyes for 10 seconds.

They will not order my supply of contacts until I go back so I am basically held hostage by this rule. 

I'd get my hands on the prescription and order them someplace else.

, I would ban radio stations from playing songs with sirens or alarm bells in them.

I hate that. More than once I've looked in the rear view mirror and prepared to move over, only to realize it was the radio. One station used to have a five o'clock siren. I stopped listening to them.

ETA: And Neti Pots. Ban 'em. Having a cold is not a justification for self-waterboarding.

LOL, I tried one once and thought the same thing.

I love cauliflower but only when it's supposed to be cauliflower. Don't mash it and tell me it's potatoes. It isn't.

Along that same line I would ban the pretense that zucchini noodles are interchangeable with actual pasta. No. Just no. Again, I like zucchini. It's just not spaghetti and shouldn't pretend to be.

Well, I'd ban Chihuahuas

I have never known a Chihuahua who doesn't yap and nip at your toes and pee everywhere, and I've known a few Chihuahuas.  

:ohmy:

I admit that my Chihuahua attempted to bite my husband with regularity, and that he grew yappier as he aged. But he didn't pee everywhere, and he was such an interesting, intelligent, affectionate little soul. And he was adorable. Asian tourists took pictures of him and people admired his dashing good looks wherever we went.  ;)

With all his faults, I wouldn't want him to not be in the world.