Menu

Need-Based Financial Aid Confusion

M&MsMom

So I'm just trying to get this straight...Even though I don't think I qualify for need-based financial aid, we are filling out the FAFSA, because that seems to be the conventional wisdom.  So here's my question...on the applications, the colleges ask if I am applying for need-based aid.  Is the answer "Yes"  because we filled out the FAFSA?  (even though I'm pretty sure we won't qualify?)

Thanks for your help!

So I'm just trying to get this straight...Even though I don't think I qualify for need-based financial aid, we are filling out the FAFSA, because that seems to be the conventional wisdom.  So here's my question...on the applications, the colleges ask if I am applying for need-based aid.  Is the answer "Yes"  because we filled out the FAFSA?  (even though I'm pretty sure we won't qualify?)

Thanks for your help!

I would add that many schools require the FAFSA if you want any kind of aid, including merit aid, even if you won't qualify for any FAFSA-based aid.  That makes sense, even though it is a pain, because that way the school can be sure that every student is getting as much FAFSA-based aid as they are qualified for (because sometimes a family's assumption of no FAFSA aid turns out to be wrong), and because that way they have every family's financial info so they can dole out merit aid or school-funded need-based aid to the students who need it most.  That is, if daddy1 is a multi-millionaire (but applies for aid regardless), vs. daddy2 is making $100K, neither is likely to qualify for FAFSA-based aid, but daddy2's kid is more likely to need a bit of school-funded money to be able to attend than daddy1's kid, and it benefits the school if both kids are financially able to attend. 

Okay, thanks for the input!  It bothers me that if you put yes to that question, sometimes they waive the application fee.  Makes me feel guilty.   :crying:

none of the 15 schools my kids applied to waived the application fee just for checking that we planned to apply for need based aid.

• Like 2

From the UChicago's website:

The University of Chicago does not charge an application fee for students applying for need-based financial aid. For students not applying for need-based financial aid, our application fee is $75 and can be submitted through the Coalition or Common Application.

That's why I was wondering if this sort of thing was commonplace.  :-)

From the UChicago's website:

The University of Chicago does not charge an application fee for students applying for need-based financial aid. For students not applying for need-based financial aid, our application fee is $75 and can be submitted through the Coalition or Common Application.

That's why I was wondering if this sort of thing was commonplace.  :-)

must be new, I'm pretty sure we paid the app fee.

I agree, if you do not need financial aid and are really rich and able to pay their sticker price of $68,000/year out of pocket, you should not ask that the app fee be waived. But then, those $75 can easily come out of the 68k :)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1