What's with the ads?

#1 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

The Doctor's next companion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7518 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:31 PM

My oldest finally got in to see the dermatologist. (3 month wait!!)  They prescribed Epiduo 0.1/2.5% (Adalpene/BP) gel. It is not covered by our insurance and the lowest we could get it down to is $125. He's been using Proactive+, then he tried Proactive MD when + wasn't doing anything. I'm looking at the active ingredients and if I were to combine Proactive MD Adalpene Gel 0.1% or even Differin  for the Adalpene and Proactive Pore Targeting Treatment for the 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide or Neutrogena On the Spot Treatment would that work the same?

She also prescribed antibiotics, which I think is going to help a lot because the Neutrogena Light Mask helped reduce a lot of redness. 

Am I missing something? They look like the same ingredients. 

Edited by Plum Crazy, 18 October 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#2 Corraleno

Corraleno

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8321 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:38 PM

DS switched from Epiduo to Differin + generic BP as soon as Differin became available OTC, and it seems to work about the same. In addition to the huge cost savings, I like the fact that he can use Differin + BP during the day, but just Differin at night, to prevent the BP ruining his bedding.

• Plum Crazy and marbel like this

#3 Amy in NH

Amy in NH

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5622 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:33 PM

Ds has been using plain Differin for 6-9 months with amazingly good results. It did not work as well when he tried it in combination with another topical (either bp or salicylic acid).

Antibiotics were the only thing that helped my cystic acne. One long course cleared it up and it never came back. Then I had to use sulfur to treat rosacea.
  • Plum Crazy likes this

#4 school17777

school17777

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2415 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:09 AM

Epiduo didn't work for any of my kids. In fact, it gave my ds a severe chemical burn.

#5 gingersmom

gingersmom

Coupon Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7098 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

We pay $75 for epi duo. Did you get the discount card?

You need to use it sparingly, I think a bottle lasts 2 (maybe 3 months)

#6 marbel

marbel

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8589 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

My son started using Differin as soon as it was available.  We had paid massive $ for Epiduo previously.  It works well for him.. when he remembers to use it.  

#7 LuvToRead

LuvToRead

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

What at timely thread for me. DD15 was prescribed epi duo, but the tune of $400 a month, so the dermatologist then prescribed Tretinoin.  I feel her treatment isn't really working anymore   I mentioned it at her last visit and her dermatologist brushed it off.  I am considering switching dermatologists, but I may take some advice from this tread and try the Differin.  

#8 cherimoya

cherimoya

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:43 AM

A friend of mine highly recommended Oxy Spot.  There's a whole line of Oxy products if you look on Amazon.  

https://www.walmart....-65-oz/10898762

#9 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

The Doctor's next companion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7518 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

We pay $75 for epi duo. Did you get the discount card?

You need to use it sparingly, I think a bottle lasts 2 (maybe 3 months)

Yes. That was after the savings card. The website said it should last 3 months, but his Proactive never lasted as long as it should. That's good to know I can hope for at least 2 months per bottle.

#10 LuvToRead

LuvToRead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

Does anyone use the different Differin products, moisturizer, cleaners, etc, or just the topical cream?

#11 ksr5377

ksr5377

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1088 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

Does anyone use the different Differin products, moisturizer, cleaners, etc, or just the topical cream?

I started using the Differin gel after someone mentioned in on here, and after a month of that purchased the moisturizer and cleanser.  I thought the cleanser was a decent mild cleanser, however the moisturizer seemed very heavy to me.  Way too much for my oily skin.  

#12 LuvToRead

LuvToRead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

I started using the Differin gel after someone mentioned in on here, and after a month of that purchased the moisturizer and cleanser.  I thought the cleanser was a decent mild cleanser, however the moisturizer seemed very heavy to me.  Way too much for my oily skin.  

Thank you!  I will get the cleanser then. I may get the moisturizer too, just to try, because it's not that expensive.  Her skin isn't super oily.