Menu

Unexpected surgery-need self teaching Algebra I

Not me, but a friend of my SIL.  I don't know anything about her except that they homeschool, she has an unexpected life threatening illness (cancer maybe?), is having surgery and is looking at a long recovery.  She needs a self-teaching Algebra I course.  She will be available for support, but can't cover Math every day on her own.  I've recommended she look into the following depending on finances and the mathiness of the student:

Thinkwell

Teaching Textbooks

Videotext

Math U See

Aleks (for reinforcement)

Is there anything else I'm not thinking of?  

Not me, but a friend of my SIL.  I don't know anything about her except that they homeschool, she has an unexpected life threatening illness (cancer maybe?), is having surgery and is looking at a long recovery.  She needs a self-teaching Algebra I course.  She will be available for support, but can't cover Math every day on her own.  I've recommended she look into the following depending on finances and the mathiness of the student:

Thinkwell

Teaching Textbooks

Videotext

Math U See

Aleks (for reinforcement)

Is there anything else I'm not thinking of?  

Do you know what math performance level? - advanced/exceeding, on-target/intermediate, or approaching/near grade expectations

Unlock math is self-teaching and has a teacher available for help through email or phone call, so other than checking to see that the work was done each day it is completely hands-off for the parent.

$299 for annual subscritpion
"UnLock Math is a new program out of Canada"

Anybody using this?

Do you know what math performance level? - advanced/exceeding, on-target/intermediate, or approaching/near grade expectations

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about the family.  My SIL texted me to ask for suggestions for a friend of hers.

Thank you all for the suggestions.  SIL emailed me to say how grateful her friend is for your help.

$299 for annual subscritpion
"UnLock Math is a new program out of Canada"

Anybody using this?

My 8th grader is using their pre-algebra and my 10th grader is using their geometry. We only started using it this fall so I can't give a full review, but so far I am extremely please with it. The courses appear to cover all of the standard topics, contain lots of review, and are definitely not light courses - my 10th grader was complaining yesterday that the problems used to illustrate the concepts in the lesson videos are a lot easier than the lesson problem sets! She said the first two problems are just as easy as the problems in the lesson videos, but then they get progressively harder. Every single problem in the lesson shows an explanation for how it was solved after the student submits their answer (whether or not the student got it wrong), so the student can compare their solution to the one in the program and see if there was a different or easier way to solve it. I do like that if the student needs to attempt a problem set for a second time, the program gives them new problems so they can't just re-use the old answers to get a good score.

They give a 50% sibling discount, so only the first child in a family pays full price - the rest only pay half. It is definitely worth it for me for a program that a student can work through as fast or as slow as they need, provides worked solutions to all the lesson problems, and includes all the tutoring a student needs from the program owners at not extra cost.

• Like 3