Menu

which games or other activities would you buy?

kfeusse

I am the library director of a small library.   I want to start an afterschool program for kids once a week.  I am not 100% which ages yet, but thinking grades 1-6.  I have been given $250 to spend on games and activities so, I was hoping you guys can give me some suggestions.  Storage is a minor issue...so nothing too large...we already own a lot of legos, so don't need those.  Probably shorter games vs longer, drawn out games would be better too.

Also, I don't know if I should go with tried and true games (ones most kids have played and might even own) or buy ones that they might not have been exposed to before....you know...the ones that us homeschooling families know about...but because you can't find them in a big box store, other kids may not have seen.

thanks...start sending me your ideas.

I'd do a combination of things so that there is always an option of playing something quick and easy without requiring too much thought or explanation, but also opportunity for learning something new. So as cheaply as possible buy some cheap connect 4 and memory tips of games, some decks of cards, and some classic board games (sorry and the like). Then spend the bulk of the money, and it will go fast, on the high impact items like Snap Circuits. Although, Rack-O shouldn't be too expensive and would likely be new but eau to catch on to.

Our library now has a game lending library, so what you might do is get your library onboard with that overall, so that the $$$$ games don't cut into your budget, then stock your play area with thrift store finds.

I would think afterschool  would be a combo of snacks, homework help, and fun things to do. You'll definitely want coloring, and the library might already have the audiobooks that come with their own mp3 player thing (plug and play with headphones). So then you'd want pillows, a reading area, a popcorn machine...

Our Y has an afterschool program. They have both after school care on holidays and snow days, and they have an actual program with tutors/homework help and fun things to do. If you can find a program like that, you can see how they do things. Ours is away from the Y, an in area where the kids skateboard and would naturally show up. I only saw it from a distance, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were ping pong or air hockey or such things. 

Edited by OhElizabeth

Our library is small because our town is small...if I get 10 kids on a regular basis I would be doing really good, I think.  Noise mostly likely won't be an issue because there are very few adults who come n and use our library....but I could see it being a deal once in a while.  I also will have crafty type things available..but that is easier to buy...at least for me.  

thank you for the game ideas....keep them coming if you think of more.  

A thought that came to me well after I read this yesterday: you may want to think about what your policy on fantasy role-playing games would be. I think they would be a lot of creative fun if you wanted to appeal to the bigger kids/teens, but depending on your local culture might get your library unwanted attention. I don't think people get as upset about Dungeons and Dragons as they once did, but you know your area. Would you have them at the library to attract older kids? Would you not stock them but allow people to bring them to play if they want? Would you ban them?

Probably not an issue, but I like to have a plan, at least in the back of my mind, for problems that are reasonably likely to crop up.