Menu

Haunted Houses

Night Elf

I just watched a clip on facebook from my local news. The guy and his cameraman were going through a haunted house with 2 girls. The place is so scary you have to sign a waiver to get in and they have a safeword that will get you led out. The employees can touch you, wet you, you could get electrocuted. Doesn't anyone think this is wrong? The poor man with the mike was screaming like a girl and running away and even pushing the girls in front of him. I'm so embarrassed for him. I don't do haunted houses. My first husband made me go into one and I hated every moment of it.

What is wrong with it? The people going in want to be scared, agree to allow the employees to try to scare them, and they even give them a safe word when they decide they've had too much and are done being scared.

It might not be your style of fun but there isn't anything wrong with it.

• Like 3

What is wrong with it? The people going in want to be scared, agree to allow the employees to try to scare them, and they even give them a safe word when they decide they've had too much and are done being scared.

It might not be your style of fun but there isn't anything wrong with it.

Sorry, but agreeing to be electrocuted is just wrong to me. I know some people like to be scared but can't you do it without endangering your safety? 

Electrocuted how powerfully?  If it was dangerous then they would have been shut down, I would hope.

Being scared is a way some people get a rush.  Similar to riding on a badass roller coaster.  If it isn't your thing, you probably know it and will not waste your time and money on that.  :)

I liked haunted houses when I was young.  Not sure I would bother with one now.

• Like 1

I don't like being scared, so I wouldn't want to go to one.   

There is a haunted house here in an old prison.  I've been on a tour of it - not during the Halloween season - and it's very interesting, and a sort of beautiful place in an eerie way.  But there's no way I would go to the haunted house event.

I was just looking at their faq.  A person can opt to be "interactive" which means the actors can touch them. Those people are marked in some way so the actors can tell who is OK to touch.  People can also leave at any time by telling an actor they want out.  No refunds though!  :-)

Not for me but it's very popular so lots of people like it.

Around here there used to be a lot of community haunted houses. They were often raising money for local charities. These were not slick or meant to rival horror movies. I thought these were fun.

Now I only see for profit haunts with movie quality makeup etc. Incredible artistry but I can't even watch a horror movie so I can't imagine subjecting myself to a haunt.

I understand some people love the big scare but I wish the tame versions of my teen years still existed alongside the professional haunts.

• Like 1

Sorry, but agreeing to be electrocuted is just wrong to me. I know some people like to be scared but can't you do it without endangering your safety? 

This is nonsense - nobody is agreeing to being "electrocuted", i.,e. injured or killed through electric shock.

I am fairly sure visitors are not actually endangering their safety; that would be a bad business model. They just agree to feeling like they are in danger. And they have to sign a waiver because accidents can happen.

I have to sign at the horse barn that I know horseback riding can be fatal, and that the facility is not responsible if I, or my child, dies in a riding accident.. That does not mean I agree to being killed by a horse.

• Like 4

I can't imagine anyone is actually endangering themselves. If they were electrocuting people to the point of harming them they would not be open. Think a shock like licking a nine volt battery or maybe like the shock from a dog shock collar.

Now I think dog shock collars are wrong because the dog has no say in the matter. But an adult agreeing to it for themselves doesn't seem wrong to me. It seems silly but not inherently wrong.

I can't imagine anyone is actually endangering themselves. If they were electrocuting people to the point of harming them they would not be open. Think a shock like licking a nine volt battery or maybe like the shock from a dog shock collar.

Now I think dog shock collars are wrong because the dog has no say in the matter. But an adult agreeing to it for themselves doesn't seem wrong to me. It seems silly but not inherently wrong.

I agree. If it were actually dangerous, they wouldn't be doing it to begin with.

• Like 1

I just watched a clip on facebook from my local news. The guy and his cameraman were going through a haunted house with 2 girls. The place is so scary you have to sign a waiver to get in and they have a safeword that will get you led out. The employees can touch you, wet you, you could get electrocuted. Doesn't anyone think this is wrong? The poor man with the mike was screaming like a girl and running away and even pushing the girls in front of him. I'm so embarrassed for him. I don't do haunted houses. My first husband made me go into one and I hated every moment of it.

Eh, not my cuppa, but other people like them.

I do wonder if that particular reporter was the right person to send. The local paper once sent a seriously ophidiphobic reporter to cover Repticon. It went about as well as you would expect. Of course, he came off as so rude and dismissive and outright hostile to make me think that maybe his boss wanted to "encourage" him to quit...

I really don't like to be scared. And I have lived in at least 2 houses that were haunted. One was when I was a kid and my mom and I talked about that house YEARS later (I was an adult) and both of us thought it was haunted so there had to be something up with the place. 

To the original point, I would think if there was water and electricity involved there would be a LOT of oversight, but then again maybe not. I can smell a lawsuit though if they don't have oversight. 

I used to go to them in college & enjoyed them. I don't think I would enjoy them now.

When I was a kid (1st grade), my dad took my friend & me to a haunted house. I don't know if we asked to go or he thought it would be fun or what.... Partway through, I remember being horrified in a room that had a guillotine scene being acted out. I think my friend felt the same way because I think both of us sunk to the floor & covered our eyes.

My dad got to the end (it was very dark throughout) & then realized that my friend & I were not with him. He was panicking & getting workers ready to go back through to find us. But, a teen couple on a date came carrying us out. I guess they saw us (or tripped on us?) & took pity. Each carried one of us out. I don't remember anything about that night except the guillotine scene & my dad being so glad to see us & taking us out of the arms of the teens.

I laugh about it now. And a shout-out of thanks to the anonymous teens that night who got my friend & me out of there! Thank you, teens! :thumbup1:

• Like 2