Menu

Rental house issue - landlord responsibility? UPDATE post 1

ondreeuh

If the renter's insurance rejects the claim because it's not something like a fire or tornado or whatever, I'd pay whatever renter's insurance would have paid had it been that kind of event (that is to say, I'd pay for the spoiled food, hotel costs, and food expenses).

I don't know what the gas could possibly be, and would ask for clarification.  I'd be really sorry about the time, assuming it took them multiple hours to deal with the hassle of figuring out the problem, finding a hotel, etc., but I don't know that I'd compensate it necessarily.

Your renters are nuts.  I would offer to reimburse them for the number of nights they didn't have heat at a rate of $90 plus tax.  There is no reason their pets couldn't have been left at the house 3 miles away and no reason you need to pay for food since they had access to cooking facilities (so food costs could have been equivalent to those if they had been in the home and they would have had to eat in that situation anyway).  There is also no reason for you to pay for gas since they were only 3 miles away from the home and that is negligible.

I also would not renew the lease of renters who attempted to take advantage of a situation of that nature.  Things happen and while inconvenient you have no legal responsibility beyond providing heat.  

• Like 1

I just sent the email to the property manager offering six days rental credit ($329) and a request that they file a claim through their renter's insurance. Hopefully this will settle it - knock on wood!!

This is all we would be doing.  Things happen.  That's what insurance is for.  You aren't supposed to be wining and dining them (or being their insurance policy) - just the basics - the house wasn't fit for you during those few days.

If they press for anything more, we'd certainly not be renewing their lease and I suspect it would have to go through small claims court.

• Like 1

If their renter's instance won't cover it, then it seems reasonable for you to cover the hotel costs. And perhaps spoiled food. But if they had been home, they would have paid for their own food, and the gas cost makes no sense. I'd decline to pay either of those.   And 'time' is too bad, too.  You are crediting the rent for the days the house wasn't suitable for them to live in. Most landlords will either not charge rent for those days OR cover hotel costs- you are willing to do both, so that is their bonus for the inconvenience. 

If their renter's insurance covers this event, perhaps you could pay any deductible they have.  (It would probably be a lot less than you're already agreeing to pay)

Hope they are reasonable.  

• Like 1

Your renters are nuts.  I would offer to reimburse them for the number of nights they didn't have heat at a rate of $90 plus tax.  There is no reason their pets couldn't have been left at the house 3 miles away and no reason you need to pay for food since they had access to cooking facilities (so food costs could have been equivalent to those if they had been in the home and they would have had to eat in that situation anyway).  There is also no reason for you to pay for gas since they were only 3 miles away from the home and that is negligible.

I also would not renew the lease of renters who attempted to take advantage of a situation of that nature.  Things happen and while inconvenient you have no legal responsibility beyond providing heat.  

I'm reasonably certain they live in Alaska; I wouldn't want to leave my pets (if I had any) alone for 3 days, regardless of heat, but especially if I lived in a cold climate during fall.

• Like 2