Menu

read alouds for 12 yo, after Calpurnia/The Martian/Hitchhikers' Guide

... I'm sort of stumped on what to read next for before bed.  He loved Calpurnia (both books), the Martian, and the first 3 books of The Hitchhikers' Guide (I wish I'd remembered that the fourth is VERY DIFFERENT in tone!!! We just didn't read most of it). 

We started 20,000 Leagues but that is very slow going indeed, and I've moved it to a more non-fun slot (daytime, once a week) just to finish it.   One of our daytime RAs is The Doldrums, which he likes, but both children are listening so I don't want to make that his bedtime read.  I have a cold and can't think worth a fig.  Any ideas? 

ETA: I was thinking of either Around the World in Eighty Days or Lord of the Rings (we've done The Hobbit twice now) but am not sure Around the World would be much fun (haven't read it in forever) and am thinking LotR might be a bit dark for this child.  He liked the Neverending Story though (first section -- I don't like the second bit) and that had scary pars. 

Edited by serendipitous journey

Just off the top of my head, and sticking primarily with middle grade / ya fiction?

Ambassador and Nomad by William Alexander (must do both books)

Mars Evacuees

Ash Mistry Trilogy (cannot get all three books on Kindle in the US)

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm

Nine Pound Hammer

Summer of the Mariposas (starts off with a dead body, and it works better if your son has a passing familiarity with the Odyssey)

Gregor the Overlander (many serious scenes of death)

The Conch Bearer (first book starts off slow)

The Great Greene Heist (not too serious)

Bud, Not Buddy

Celeste's Harlem Renaissance

Dave at Night

If I Ever Get Out of Here (one passing mention of hookers, but all that happens is they say hi to the main character and joke about him coming from the reservation, another passing jokes where his guitar teacher teases him about how he needs to callus his fingertips, not his palms, haha masturbation)

Stranger

Powerless trilogy (the one set in our world, not the one with the angsty female main character - that one took itself way too seriously)

Al Capone Does My Shirts

The Real Boy

Breadcrumbs

The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora

How Lamar's Bad Prank Won Him A Bubba-Sized Trophy

The Earthsea Cycle

One Fine Day

Leviathan trilogy

Akata Witch

Zahrah the Windseeker

Geography Club (I only ever read the first book)
Jefferson's Sons

Seeds of America series

Octavian Nothing
So You Want to Be a Wizard (get the new Millenium editions from her website, not the original)

Hello, Universe

Holes

The entire Discworld canon

On Two Feet and Wings

Again, my focus was on books geared for kids around 12 years old. It's a tough age.

• Like 1

oooh, thank y'all!  The Westing Game may kick us off, and then there's that lovely list ...

Tanaqui, we tried Discworld #1 (Color of Magic) last night and the first 15 or so minutes ... 20? ... were rather opaque to the child.  Stick with it, or give it a couple of years?

Mysterious Benedict Society series?  All 3 of us loved them.

• Like 2

Tanaqui, we tried Discworld #1 (Color of Magic) last night and the first 15 or so minutes ... 20? ... were rather opaque to the child.  Stick with it, or give it a couple of years?

Oooh, don't read them in order. They get better with time. (Well, until the dementia. Then they don't.)

I'd start with Educated Rodents, and then Wee Free Men and the other Tiffany Aching books. Once you've finished those, come back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, don't read them in order. They get better with time. (Well, until the dementia. Then they don't.)

I'd start with Educated Rodents, and then Wee Free Men and the other Tiffany Aching books. Once you've finished those, come back.

I'm just getting back to this thread ... thanks so much!   I've enjoyed Pratchett thoroughly and want to set the child up for Pratchett happiness :)

The Westing Game is thoroughly enjoyable, and also a nice intro to the mystery genre.  I'm thinking we may revisit some Sherlock Holmes after this (though not before bed -- I don't think it'll be THAT popular -- maybe as a snacktime read). 

New Book for the thread: The Doldrums.  We haven't finished it, so can't 100% recommend, but so far so good. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

My kids like LOTR and Narnia and The hobbit type of stories too.  However, my husband just read them this new series called the Wingfeather Saga series, and they were on the edge of their seat waiting for bedtime reading, trying to read ahead, etc.  I think it's a medieval type adventure, and there's a map of the kingdom it comes with, and they just ate it up.

Some other classics:

Swiss Family Robinson

Treasure Island

Around the World in 80 Days

H.G. Wells books

Jungle Book

Dr. Dolittle

All Creatures Great and Small