Menu

Phi theta kappa worth it?

Hilltopmom

Ds is invited to apply based on his DE grades. I know people say it’s worth it, but he won’t be graduating from the CC, he’s applying to 4 years and already has acceptances coming in from early admission apps.

So, tell me why it’s good to do :)

Thanks

Edited by Hilltopmom

We're doing it for my daughter, who's in the same situation. At least one of the colleges to which she's applying has a scholarship specifically for Phi Theta Kappa, but we did it primarily to give another layer of external validation, since she doesn't have a ton of awards. 

Edited by KarenNC

DS will apply, since he is going to get an associates from the CC first and then transfer to a 4 yr.  The 4 yr univ grants a $2,000 transfer scholarship for PTK members (renewable with a 3.0 GPA).  I believe this school has changed their criteria--DS was first told that if he got good grades during his first CC semester and got inducted to PTK, they would award the scholarship if he transferred after his first semester.  I just checked the website and now it indicates the student must have graduated with an associates in order to be granted the scholarship.  It might be worth asking the schools to which he is applying if the PTK membership affords him any additional scholarships.  I'd bet it varies from school to school.

We did it, but got no reward. Dd's school does have a transfer scholarship that is automatic with PTK membership, but they wouldn't give it to her because her credits were DE, so they didn't consider her a transfer. She decided against the honors society membership she was offered at her 4-year university.

Yes!

Many PTK groups offer transfer scholarships. Be sure to check the deadline for applying! Many times, the deadline is in mid-November to late November, for starting at the 4-year university the following fall semester -- so applying/landing a scholarship almost 10 months in advance of using it.

Sadly, I speak from personal experience of missing out on this by thinking there was a January/February deadline. And DS#1 WAS a 2-year CC transfer student, not just DE credits.  :(

Edited by Lori D.

Ds has decided not to do it since it looks like the scholarships are only for transfer students which he won’t be.

Glad it’s going to be helpful to your ds Dawn!

What do you mean he won't be a transfer student?  If he is transferring credits, isn't he a transfer student?

Edited by DawnM

Yes!

Many PTK groups offer transfer scholarships. Be sure to check the deadline for applying! Many times, the deadline is in mid-November to late November, for starting at the 4-year university the following fall semester -- so applying/landing a scholarship almost 10 months in advance of using it.

Sadly, I speak from personal experience of missing out on this by thinking there was a January/February deadline. And DS#1 WAS a 2-year CC transfer student, not just DE credits.  :(

Huh, that isn't what I am seeing, but I will let you know.  The scholarship is offered by the College itself, not through PTK, maybe that is the difference?

What do you mean he won't be a transfer student?  If he is transferring credits, isn't he a transfer student?

I believe Hilltopmom's DS is a high school student with DE credits that will transfer (i.e. "be accepted") by the 4-year university. Her DS will be a high school graduate applying to the university as a freshman, so will be coming in under freshman status/eligibility (with credits from DE already on his transcript). That is different than being admitted as a transfer student status/eligibility -- i.e., a high school graduate student who took college credits at one college AFTER high school school and is now transferring to another college.

Freshman are not eligible for transfer student scholarships, just as transfer students are not eligible for freshman scholarships.

The PTK transfer scholarships are for students coming in under transfer student status/eligibility.

Huh, that isn't what I am seeing, but I will let you know.  The scholarship is offered by the College itself, not through PTK, maybe that is the difference?

That's great! The scholarship here was offered through the Community College's branch of PTK for transfer to a 4-year university, and the deadline to apply was the end of November.

My point really was not to go into detail about our situation, but just a general reminder to all that some scholarships have very early deadlines. Every school will be different. Just trying to give you a heads-up so you can mark it on your calendar and not miss out on applying. :)

Good luck!

Edited by Lori D.

I believe Hilltopmom's DS is a high school student with DE credits that will transfer (i.e. "be accepted") by the 4-year university. Her DS will be a high school graduate applying to the university as a freshman, so will be coming in under freshman status/eligibility (with credits from DE already on his transcript). That is different than being admitted as a transfer student status/eligibility -- i.e., a high school graduate student who took college credits at one college AFTER high school school and is now transferring to another college.

Freshman are not eligible for transfer student scholarships, just as transfer students are not eligible for freshman scholarships.

The PTK transfer scholarships are for students coming in under transfer student status/eligibility.

That's great! The scholarship here was offered through the Community College's branch of PTK for transfer to a 4-year university, and the deadline to apply was the end of November.

My point really was not to go into detail about our situation, but just a general reminder to all that some scholarships have very early deadlines. Every school will be different. Just trying to give you a heads-up so you can mark it on your calendar and not miss out on applying. :)

Good luck!

Right, but you are getting me concerned.  I didn't see any deadline dates, so hopefully.......I emailed the advisor assigned to my son, but he isn't always great at getting back to us in a timely manner.  

ETA:  We heard back today and he says yes, he is eligible!  So, we have sent the info in, wish us lots of luck (and money, mostly money!)

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to report......

Yes, PTK did qualify my son for a good scholarship, however, the college he wants to go to won't stack this one with other merit based scholarships.  Since his merit based scholarship already exceeds what PTK would give him, he can't get both.

This actually makes the college of his choice a hardship for us and we are now debating what to do.  

Sad to report......

Yes, PTK did qualify my son for a good scholarship, however, the college he wants to go to won't stack this one with other merit based scholarships.  Since his merit based scholarship already exceeds what PTK would give him, he can't get both.

This actually makes the college of his choice a hardship for us and we are now debating what to do.  

:(

• 2 months later...

I will update as well.  DS did get his merit based scholarships and another scholarship that was about the same amount as the PTK would have gotten him ($5K per year) so I am happy to report that he did start college at the school of his choice in January.  He LOVES it.....)well, all but the roommate piece, but we are working on that.)

• Like 5