Menu

struggling with the struggle

I don't want this to sound like a pride issue, because for me, it doesn't feel like that, more learning how to "plan" to "work" type of thing? Maybe something like, incorporating not being an "everything" girl into your self-conception?

The core of what I'm trying to get to is, learning how to work on those things that you're not "naturally gifted" at when nearly everything else is soooooo easy. Like almost innate easy. (OK that's an exaggeration but you get what I'm going for!!!) The thing you have to work on and struggle with. But not feeling bad about yourself for it. Not "study tips," but I guess almost executive function type things? IDK... that's why I'm posting!

For me, it's quantitative work. I know I'm slow and I need to take several runs at the material from different texts right now. This is my second quantitative class since I recovered from a concussion and I'm still figuring out what I need to do. My other classes are either "I live and breathe this" or "meh, it'll do" courses. As a side note, they don't do course schedules in this department... I don't know what I'm supposed to be studying or when tests are more than a week or two in advance, so I can't even pace myself... luckily I don't have to take more classes from them specifically, but I do have to get through this one!

(this would be so much easier if i'd learnt how to do it in grade school!)

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your age, but it sounds like you're in college full time. The great thing about college is that you get to explore different areas and really work out your passions. The bad thing about college is that you'll have to take some courses that don't come naturally to you.

If this is a motivation issue, schedule time to work on your quantitative class. Do it first, before you do work for the more fun classes. Do it while you're still fresh, since the enjoyment will help you power through your more fun/easy classes. Ideally, you'll do a little every day in a productive way.

If this is a time issue, learn to learn what the professor/instructor expects you to know. Passing a test, or even acing a test, doesn't mean you need to proficient and fully understand the material. It means you know how to answer the questions in the way expected. I went to arguably the most academically rigorous liberal arts college , and there were subjects (third year physical chemistry) that I got an A in without really understanding. If your issue with the quantitative course is time-limited, focus only on the course text, do all the practice problems recommended, and make sure to ask questions. You could understand the theoretical underpinnings of every calculation, or you could memorize the required algorithms. Nothing wrong with quick-and-dirty solutions to get through a class you aren't passionate about. Memorization can save you from understanding in many things.

Should it come to memorization over understanding, the crucial skill comes to knowing what exactly to memorize to maximize your score with the least effort. This skill, being able to efficiently filter out irrelevant information and focus on the material that you need to know, will make you successful in any career. 

Are you familiar with Carol Dweck's work on growth mindset? It is a great motivator to know that your hard work in an area of relative weakness is improving your mind.

Think about your areas of strength and use them to study for your quantitative class. How do you learn best? Can you incorporate movement, or visuals, or audio, or hands-on (whichever works best for you) into your studies?

Like the previous poster said, schedule time for studying. If you can't focus on the subject for long periods, schedule several study sessions per day.

• Like 1