Menu

A combination of public school and home school

Many of the moms here are doing home schooling. I am wondering does anyone send their kids to public school and still do home school while kids are at home?

I enjoy learning and for the past few years, I set up a math circle, a STEM circle, now a writing circle for my DD and her friends. The benefits come with our hybrid learning system is DD gets to try different things and be able to do some deep learning in areas interests her. And DD is really looking forward to those circle time, so learning becomes an enjoyable experience. Private school could be an opinion but so far we have not be able to find one meet our needs. Even we find one, we will continue this hybrid approach.

What is your thoughts on this? I would love to hear.

When you say hybrid, are you talking about "homeschooling" during the time your kids aren't in school (on this board it's called "afterschooling") or do you mean enrolling your kids in public school part time and homeschooling the rest?

When you say hybrid, are you talking about "homeschooling" during the time your kids aren't in school (on this board it's called "afterschooling") or do you mean enrolling your kids in public school part time and homeschooling the rest?

It should be the afterschooling then. I am new to this board. People here are so amazingly helpful!

I'd love to know how people afterschool. I sent my kids this year and they don't get home until 3:50. After the lunchboxes are washed, the snacks eaten, the papers organized...they just want to run around! I can't blame them. Then, it's spelling words, homework, reading 20 minutes...and bath and chore....

I can't even find time to have a conversation with each of them, let alone afterschooling them.

• Like 1

We did afterschooling for a while when the kids were in public school, mostly math. It is hard work! I see people who are opposed to homeschooling suggest it as the cure to half-assed public schools, and others who think bad grades are all the parents' fault, and I shake my head.

I really admire anybody who can make it work for more than one or two subjects without absolutely losing their minds.

TrustAndLove, you might want to post in the specific afterschooling subforum on this board:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/forum/13-parents-forum-afterschooling-board/

• Like 2

Thank you, Tanaqui!

We have been doing after schooling for quite a few years. Well, basically since DD was born. With one child, it is easier as I can image work will be more with each extra child.

We started with a neighbourhood based math circle, and graduately becomes a STEM circle. I am lucky becomes i found a few moms are also interested and are willing to be fully involved into their children's learning experience.

Looking back it has been a wonderful experience. I feel extremely fortunate to be a parent to my DD and a good friends to a few wonderful women.

What works for me is

- i focus on one or two things max a day: it could be some challenging questions from math or reading, a long library visit, or watching a documentary.

- i do not teach things ahead of DD's school. I could go deeper, such as showing rotational symmetry while DD learns mirror symmetry from school. We are not in a hurry to be x grade ahead.

- we do not have to follow a curricullum to make sure things are covered, since that is her school's responsibility. We can pick and choose things we are interested.

- at home, we do different things from DD's school. Spelling, basic math, second language are all done at school. We are doing a lot cooler stuff at home, such as learning different cultures, programming, cook up a dish etc. so DD is engaged, will not feel it is a work.

- I reasearch and does a lot of reading myself, and I spend quite bit of time with DD, so we can try out different ways to see what works.

- DD has been exposed to a lot different things so she can find her interests. Eventually and hopefully one of those interests will develop into passion.

- the flexbility of afterschooling allows us to focus on areas that DD is strong or has a lot of interests. For example: DD is doing BA, she is so interested that she will cheer "Hooray" if it is a math day. The interest will keep her 100 percent focused.

- for the areas that DD is not strong, such as speech and writing, we did not focus on as much. Now she is 8, just by being a bit older, she can articulate things a lot better. And the NanoWriMo is perfect for her age.

- for areas both DD and I are not strong, we just leave it to school, such as art.

Edited by TrustAndLove