Menu

Khan academy

I will admit, the Khan academy lessons are not terribly interesting. They are short, sweet, to-the-point, just the facts m'am type videos but not highly engaging or interesting. I do Khan Academy with my 4 year old but we don't watch the videos. I explain the concepts and we do the problems together.

If your child wants lessons that get to the point, tell them what they need to know so they can be done quickly, then Khan Academy will likely be a good fit. If your child thrives more on engaging and interesting lessons, even if that means the lesson might take longer, then they might not like Khan Academy.

Thanks everyone for replies!

I asked DD again today and here is her answer: "I love learning but it does not have a lot of pictures or colors. So it is boring for me." I have to agree that TedEd did much better job in that front. Agree with Jean that Khan could be a good resource to test if kids understand the concepts.

• Like 1

There are so many places on the web now where one can get help. As I told my DD, if Khan Academy doesn't explain what you need explained in a way that helps you, look on other web sites until you find one that does. Look around...

Agree! I am just curious If this kind of experience happens to other people.

Your dd is spot on.  Those Khan videos are boring and unwatchable, IMO.  Why use the video-based medium, and then use that medium with a black background and squiggly lines?  Whenever I need a video, I look online and search on the specific key words.  There is much better material out there on youtube.  

I think khan is awesome for explaining specific skills that need another layer of instruction. I used it with ds anytime he and I were hitting a wall on a certain skill. I recently used it for myself to help shore up my understanding of redox chemical reactions.

I think it's probably overkill for an 8 year old, but maybe it'll be helpful down the road.

• Like 1

Your dd is spot on. Those Khan videos are boring and unwatchable, IMO. Why use the video-based medium, and then use that medium with a black background and squiggly lines? Whenever I need a video, I look online and search on the specific key words. There is much better material out there on youtube.

I have a kid that loves them. He feels like most computer stuff fills in the time and screen with unnecessary extras, though. Very much a get-her-done kid.

• Like 2