Menu

Healthcare premiums to rise about 20%

Barb_

Because you can’t pressure people into a bad system without a credible threat like a fine, and you need a drop dead day to apply that sort of thing.

Also, since they had to compel people who didn’t want their crap product to buy it, and open enrollment allows for that but theoretically limits the amount of people picking up coverage just a day before using it for major medical, essentially. And since the fine is levied against tax refunds there needs to be clean fiscal timeframes for it.

Joy, right?

Open enrollment has always been a thing and has nothing to do with fines for not having insurance.

Probably has something to do with business budgets and taxes.

And to prevent people from buying insurance only when they are sick. Insurance works because people pay into it when they are healthy so you have it when you are sick.

Edited by kewb

Hospitals aren't going to knock that much off of a bill. By law, they cannot charge any patient lower than the Medicaid rate. Yes, I did see an itemized bill. I can't comment on charges for simple things such as Motrin and fluids because my son received none of that - all of his IV's (nine running simultaneously at one point) were either delivering medications or blood & blood products. Of course the hospital doesn't charge the true cost of service rendered. In our system, we cannot expect it to be so.

Hospitals can and do knock this much off a bill. I'm sure it probably varies by hospital system.

My dd was hospitalized in August. The amount billed was reduced by 70% because we are self pay. When she received care two years ago, they were using a sliding scale system. At that time, the bill was reduced by 85%.

• 3 years later...