Menu

23 and me and mthfr mutation

Terabith

I would also run it through genetic genie and possibly HealthCoach7 (free).  The polymorphisms in the genetic genie methylation and detox profiles I would then look up on the heartfixer site and/or google yasko.  Methyl cycle map:  http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm  (really complex, sorry!)

I haven't found the mthfr info to be easy to put to use, as there is trial and error with supplements, especially methylcobalamin vs hydroxycobalamin and how much of either, whether and how much 5-mthf, etc.  There is also a b-complex without those added so that you can add them separately in whatever amounts you like - it's called B-Minus and I'd start low with that too.

I find the detox stuff immensely useful (bad liver genes, so I like to add some liver help from time to time, especially when I know the liver will have more work to do such as clearing anesthesia)

For MTHFR, the one thing I would try hard to do is avoid folic acid (synthetic folate that many people with MTHFR polymorphisms may have difficulty processing).  It's hard because folic acid is over-supplemented in *everything* that is processed wheat (especially cereal and pasta and even Chips Ahoy) and even some brands of rice.  Organic brands usually do not have folic acid added.

Edited by wapiti

Wapiti, sort of a simpler question, but do you know anything about whether this is true? I thought I read somewhere that 23andme had *changed* the testing and was showing less of the useful things for MTHFR, etc. But I really don't know enough about it to discriminate and figure that out.

23andme is most useful for the raw data only.  You get a giant text file.  23andme itself does not give particularly useful health info.  You take the data to genetic genie (or give permission for genetic genie to access directly from 23andme, which is easier) and other such websites for the interpretation.  What to do about any of it is another matter entirely.  But, just getting the data usually results in knowing at least the two most well-known MTHFR polymorphisms.  Whether 23andme has stopped providing data on certain polymorphisms just in the last few months, I wouldn't know.  But so far we have data from four people in our family; for the two who have had MTHFR tested by bloodwork, 23andme's gene calls were correct.

Or, you can look up the rs numbers for the two polymorphisms and you just search the text file for the number to see what the calls were.

ETA, so here is a random example from the internet of what you get from 23andme, the data or text file:  http://genomeintelligence.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/23andme3.jpg

and from genetic genie:  https://imgur.com/9iRKV2Z

and from promethease:  http://regenerationnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PROMETHEASE-DNA-health-results-female-640x475.jpeg

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

MTHFR & SNP Test This guy is going to be speaking at some autism conference, so I was looking him up. He promotes this testing by Genovations where they do all the testing, and apparently it's what he's going to be explaining at the big autism conference, how to interpret the labs. Anyways, it was in rabbit trailing that that I found articles saying 23andme had dropped some of the testing, that they weren't including as much medical anymore, that there had been pressure applied on them. And of course why would anyone pay Genovations or this doc who writes the scrip and sends it to Genovations $400 if they can pay 23andme $200, kwim? That doesn't make sense.

It was for a TACA conference. I'm not giving an opinion about TACA, just saying it came across my feed. To me, the guy could be about as knowledgeable as the myriad self-declared experts that show up at homeschool conventions. In fact, it sounds like Wapiti might know more. National TACA Autism Conference - Talk About Curing Autism (TACA)  

Ok, I at least found what in the world I was reading.

MTHFR Test Options? Oral Swab, Blood Test or Saliva - MTHFR.Net Here it's saying that 23andme has decreased the number of SNPs. I have no clue. I'm just wanting to run this on my dd pretty soon and trying to figure out the most sensible way to do it. To me $400 vs. $200 is kinda crazy, especially if $400 gets you more narrow info and $200 gets your broader.

Which I think now makes clear to me that I have no clue what an SNP even is. 

Edited by OhElizabeth

OhE, you can get the data file from 23andme with the ancestry service, which is usually around $100, unless you also happen to catch a sale.  On the 23andme being pressured, my guess is that refers to a time several years ago now, when they stopped offering significant analysis briefly and then began offering only a very limited amount of health info.  That is mostly still the case.  The 23andme health service does not identify MTHFR for you, for example (that's where genetic genie comes in). They have been expanding the health info slowly.

• Like 1

MTHFR & SNP Test This guy is going to be speaking at some autism conference, so I was looking him up. He promotes this testing by Genovations where they do all the testing, and apparently it's what he's going to be explaining at the big autism conference, how to interpret the labs. Anyways, it was in rabbit trailing that that I found articles saying 23andme had dropped some of the testing, that they weren't including as much medical anymore, that there had been pressure applied on them. And of course why would anyone pay Genovations or this doc who writes the scrip and sends it to Genovations $400 if they can pay 23andme $200, kwim? That doesn't make sense.

It was for a TACA conference. I'm not giving an opinion about TACA, just saying it came across my feed. To me, the guy could be about as knowledgeable as the myriad self-declared experts that show up at homeschool conventions. In fact, it sounds like Wapiti might know more. National TACA Autism Conference - Talk About Curing Autism (TACA)

MTHFR Test Options? Oral Swab, Blood Test or Saliva - MTHFR.Net Here it's saying that 23andme has decreased the number of SNPs. I have no clue. I'm just wanting to run this on my dd pretty soon and trying to figure out the most sensible way to do it. To me $400 vs. $200 is kinda crazy, especially if $400 gets you more narrow info and $200 gets your broader.

If your dd is willing to participate in a research project she might try Genes For Good; you'll get raw data free though I don't know for sure whether MTHFR SNP's are included.

https://genesforgood.sph.umich.edu

• Like 1

MTHFR & SNP Test This guy is going to be speaking at some autism conference, so I was looking him up. He promotes this testing by Genovations where they do all the testing, and apparently it's what he's going to be explaining at the big autism conference, how to interpret the labs. Anyways, it was in rabbit trailing that that I found articles saying 23andme had dropped some of the testing, that they weren't including as much medical anymore, that there had been pressure applied on them. And of course why would anyone pay Genovations or this doc who writes the scrip and sends it to Genovations $400 if they can pay 23andme $200, kwim? That doesn't make sense.

It was for a TACA conference. I'm not giving an opinion about TACA, just saying it came across my feed. To me, the guy could be about as knowledgeable as the myriad self-declared experts that show up at homeschool conventions. In fact, it sounds like Wapiti might know more. National TACA Autism Conference - Talk About Curing Autism (TACA)

MTHFR Test Options? Oral Swab, Blood Test or Saliva - MTHFR.Net Here it's saying that 23andme has decreased the number of SNPs. I have no clue. I'm just wanting to run this on my dd pretty soon and trying to figure out the most sensible way to do it. To me $400 vs. $200 is kinda crazy, especially if $400 gets you more narrow info and $200 gets your broader.

SNP (pronounced snip), is a single nucleotide polymorphism. It is one single difference in a DNA nucleotide vs the majority of people.

• Like 1

OhE, you can get the data file from 23andme with the ancestry service, which is usually around $100, unless you also happen to catch a sale.  On the 23andme being pressured, my guess is that refers to a time several years ago now, when they stopped offering significant analysis briefly and then began offering only a very limited amount of health info.  That is mostly still the case.  The 23andme health service does not identify MTHFR for you, for example (that's where genetic genie comes in). They have been expanding the health info slowly.

There is a sale right now for $30 off.

• Like 2

Accessing Your Raw Data

You can access your raw genetic data within your 23andMe account one of two ways:

• Click on Tools in the navigation bar at the top of your homepage, and select Browse Raw Data from the available tools.

The main view of the Browse Raw Data feature shows the same pictorial representation of each chromosome — including a Y chromosome — for all users. It is important to note that except in rare genetic cases, women do not inherit a Y chromosome and will see “not determined†for markers found on the Y chromosome. 

Downloading Your Raw Data

To download your raw data, click on the Download tab from within the Browse Raw Data tool and enter your account password.

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/212196868-Accessing-and-Downloading-Your-Raw-Data

I suggest downloading the data to keep.  Most of the other sites like genetic genie can access the data directly from 23andme, once you give permission, rather than use your downloaded copy - I think it might be faster to have them do it directly.

Edited by wapiti

So for thw Genes for good study, if you do their Facebook app thing, you can get your saliva analysed for free? Have you done it?

I'm doing Genes for Good. My spit kit is sitting here waiting for me to drop it in the mail. I've been doing the daily surveys, but you don't have to very long before they mail you the kit. Once it's processed they send you your data so you can upload it wherever.

• Like 2

Thank you, I did not know about that Genes for Good project!! That's definitely my pricepoint! :D

The sale at 23andme sounds good too, thanks. Guess we've waited this long, we can wait a little longer to save the $$/

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Yeah, I had mine tested for free, because they are doing a study on depression and bipolar disorder.

I'm not entirely sure where to look on the site for the text file to send to these other places. Need to poke around.

If you go to genetic genie it will allow you to link directly to 23andMe, you won't have to upload anything.