What's with the ads?

#1 Lucy the Valiant

Lucy the Valiant

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

(Is there an opposite of a vent? I need to gush. Don't burst all my balloons on this glorious October day, JAWM.)

Sometimes this homeschooling journey is painful and fraught with questions that don't really have clear answers, but sometimes . . . SOMETIMES . . . it is the dearest, funniest, sweetest job on the planet, and just needs to be savored and shared with people who get it.

"Gush" with me.

1. I am chuckling at upper-elementary kid's sentence re: the Italian Renaissance: "New sculptures and painting styles were becoming popular, the New World had recently been discovered, and architects were more active than ever before." *insert hilarious mental image of 35 Italian architects lined up in a grassy field doing coordinated calisthenics for all they're worth*

(Actually, could that be a hashtag? #ActiveArchitects )

2. Overheard conversation between 2 young teenagers at my house: "Do you guys have a VCR?" No, we used to, but it broke, and we didn't replace it. Why, do you have one? "Yes, I have one in my room." Oh, my mom won't let us have a TV in our room. "Oh, mine's not attached to a TV, it's just the VCR, and I have the cover off it so I can turn it on and just watch how cool it is seeing the machinery going around." 

3. Kids who like books. Slow realizations. Remembering joy.

4. School breaks to rake glorious leaves on a chilly afternoon.

Okay. Your turn.

• Jean in Newcastle, Beth S, _______ and 17 others like this

#2 elroisees

elroisees

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1911 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

My 5yo told me he was "having difficulty."  

Sitting outside the bathtub reading Wizard of Oz while he soaks.

Taking a break to paint my 10yo's nails on her birthday.

My 10yo writing her first independent outline successfully, and being proud of herself.

(Obviously, these moments might have happened without homeschooling, but we had the whole day together, and it was a good one.)

• Jean in Newcastle, Lucy the Valiant and SusanC like this

#3 OrganicJen

OrganicJen

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

My teen reading Walk Two Moons aloud to me and the toddler while toddler eats breakfast. I love that the little one gets to benefit from hearing his older brother read aloud.
  • Jean in Newcastle, Lucy the Valiant and elroisees like this

#4 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3949 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Today, DD8 was working on her math.  She already knew the basic concept of the lesson, but for sure needed the practice.  So we went through the lesson and I assigned like 10 problems out of the workbook for practice.  She was DRAGGING her feet.  DRAGGING.  Write 2 digits, need to go pee.  Write two more digits, complain about being hungry.  Trying to add when the entire assignment is subtraction.  Etc etc.  What should have taken 20 minutes was going on an hour.

Then, DD7 wanted to help.  The girls are actually 23 months apart, DD8 will be 9 next month.  Which means DD7 is in first grade.  Not up to subtracting up to 10,000 with regrouping.  But, she wanted to help.

Rather than yelling at her sister to get out, DD8 decided to teach DD7 how to do the work.  I know that DD7 wasn't getting it, BUT....I could clearly see that DD8 knew exactly how to do it all, by way of her explaining, AND the work got done MUCH faster, AND, DD7 did get her own math practice in.  IMO, a win all around. 

• Lucy the Valiant, elroisees and JIN MOUSA like this

#5 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13504 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Well we might be lame but we labeled the parts of a bumble bee and the kids opined about how Alert was the farthest north permanently inhabited town in North America :)
  • Lucy the Valiant and elroisees like this

#6 katilac

katilac

Chief Educational Executive & Cruise Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9166 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

I have graduated one and my next (last!) one is a senior. It was an awesome job all the way through!

• Beth S, Lucy the Valiant and elroisees like this

#7 JIN MOUSA

JIN MOUSA

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

I've been amazed witnessing DD6's number sense; thanks Singapore!

She's learned the concept of multiplication, and now we're focusing on the 2s and 3s tables. We worked out what 3 x 4 equals, then started to look at 3 x 8.

DD: Hey, that's 2 x 12!

Then earlier today she wanted to know what 10 x 60 was. 

Me: Well's what's 10 x 6?

DD: Ooh! It's 5 x 12!

Now actually getting her to do the addition or skip counting, that's a different story, (I suspect she doesn't like the time/effort it takes, since so many things come to her so quickly), but I love seeing her make these connections.

• Lucy the Valiant and elroisees like this

#8 AnneBlessedx4

AnneBlessedx4

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

My brother died and we didn't think of school for awhile. We went back slowly as we were ready, crying when we need to. I can't imagine sending my children to school with the weight we are all carrying and expecting them to carry on. They were able to have time with relatives who came to visit and be involved in everything. Today we volunteered at a community event in the middle of the day. No sweat about school.