Menu

JAWM (a "gush") this job of ours

Lucy the Valiant

(Is there an opposite of a vent? I need to gush. Don't burst all my balloons on this glorious October day, JAWM.)

Sometimes this homeschooling journey is painful and fraught with questions that don't really have clear answers, but sometimes . . . SOMETIMES . . . it is the dearest, funniest, sweetest job on the planet, and just needs to be savored and shared with people who get it.

"Gush" with me.

1. I am chuckling at upper-elementary kid's sentence re: the Italian Renaissance: "New sculptures and painting styles were becoming popular, the New World had recently been discovered, and architects were more active than ever before." *insert hilarious mental image of 35 Italian architects lined up in a grassy field doing coordinated calisthenics for all they're worth*

(Actually, could that be a hashtag? #ActiveArchitects )

2. Overheard conversation between 2 young teenagers at my house: "Do you guys have a VCR?" No, we used to, but it broke, and we didn't replace it. Why, do you have one? "Yes, I have one in my room." Oh, my mom won't let us have a TV in our room. "Oh, mine's not attached to a TV, it's just the VCR, and I have the cover off it so I can turn it on and just watch how cool it is seeing the machinery going around." 

3. Kids who like books. Slow realizations. Remembering joy.

4. School breaks to rake glorious leaves on a chilly afternoon.

Okay. Your turn.

• Like 19

My 5yo told me he was "having difficulty."  

Sitting outside the bathtub reading Wizard of Oz while he soaks.

Taking a break to paint my 10yo's nails on her birthday.

My 10yo writing her first independent outline successfully, and being proud of herself.

(Obviously, these moments might have happened without homeschooling, but we had the whole day together, and it was a good one.)

• Like 3

I've been amazed witnessing DD6's number sense; thanks Singapore!

She's learned the concept of multiplication, and now we're focusing on the 2s and 3s tables. We worked out what 3 x 4 equals, then started to look at 3 x 8.

DD: Hey, that's 2 x 12!

Then earlier today she wanted to know what 10 x 60 was. 

Me: Well's what's 10 x 6?

DD: Ooh! It's 5 x 12!

Now actually getting her to do the addition or skip counting, that's a different story, (I suspect she doesn't like the time/effort it takes, since so many things come to her so quickly), but I love seeing her make these connections.

• Like 2

My brother died and we didn't think of school for awhile. We went back slowly as we were ready, crying when we need to. I can't imagine sending my children to school with the weight we are all carrying and expecting them to carry on. They were able to have time with relatives who came to visit and be involved in everything. Today we volunteered at a community event in the middle of the day. No sweat about school.