Menu

S/O reinventing - will you stay involved w/hs'ing?

Lang Syne Boardie

I don't think my kids' generation will have the flexibility of single income living even if they are super frugal.

Me either. I support my daughters' decisions to remain childless 100%. My sons say sweet, comforting things to me because they know how much I wanted to be a gramma, but I am well aware that even if they did marry, their wives would greatly prefer that I scrub their toilet fifty cent, wash the dishes, swiffer the floors, do a few loads of laundry, pick up, declutter, and be back in my room/cell/in-law apartment with the door shut by the time they got back from dropping their children off at Homeschool, going back to work, picking up something at the deli for dinner, picking the kids up from Homeschool, dropping off the dry cleaning, etc.

Beats scrubbing a stranger's toilet fifty cent and then not even getting paid anyway. I also don't think I'd have to answer to "Lupe" no matter how much trouble the wives thought it was to remember my real name or how much less trouble it is to call all maids "Lupe".

Writing? Eff yea! They'll pry this pen out of my cold, dead hand, but it sure isn't going to be for the benefit of the publishing industry or any data miner or astroturfers and you won't see it in a flashing banner ad.

Nobody messes with MY peeps, but I'm still waiting to find out if I'm going to be permanently or temporarily banned from the Hive for trolling a data miner until it doxed itself, lol.

Guilty as charged and I'm not sorry and I don't care.

Nothing personal and no hard feelings.

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

NOOOOO!!!!

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so done with homeschooling it would be hard for me to be positive. Homeschooling in this area is so different than it was 15 years ago which is part of why we quit. Here, now, it is all about big, ultra conservative, expensive co-ops. And IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen too many changes in healthcare costs and too many Ă¢â‚¬Å“perfectĂ¢â‚¬ marriages turn into nightmares when Dad gets a wandering eye to suggest a young woman put a complete halt to her career.

• Like 2

Based on what I see around me, not what I wish for, I suspect I'll be caring for elderly relatives.  All my SILs work full time.  One of my brothers is single and recovering financially from an expensive divorce, so he'll not retire early. My parents aren't married to each other, my mom is remarried so they can't live together.  My in-laws are in declining health and my husband's only sister isn't expected to survive her stage 4 cancer beyond this year. That's 5.  Five parents currently in their 70s on the decline with not enough kids to go around to care for them if they become unable to care for themselves.  10 years ago I was helping my mother, an only child, care for her parents in frail health for 3 years.

Seriously people, think about this stuff before you get that call.  We're all facing it sooner or later.

• Like 1

Based on what I see around me, not what I wish for, I suspect I'll be caring for elderly relatives.  All my SILs work full time.  One of my brothers is single and recovering financially from an expensive divorce, so he'll not retire early. My parents aren't married to each other, my mom is remarried so they can't live together.  My in-laws are in declining health and my husband's only sister isn't expected to survive her stage 4 cancer beyond this year. That's 5.  Five parents currently in their 70s on the decline with not enough kids to go around to care for them if they become unable to care for themselves.  10 years ago I was helping my mother, an only child, care for her parents in frail health for 3 years.

Seriously people, think about this stuff before you get that call.  We're all facing it sooner or later.

I worry that I'll get the caregiving dumped on me right when I'm trying to relaunch my career because I'm the one who has been a homemaker rather than pursuing a career like my brothers, their wives/fiancees, DH's siblings, and their spouses. My parents are married and so are DH's, but 2 of my mom's siblings are unmarried & childless as is one of DH's aunts. So they will need someone to help out.

• Like 1

Based on what I see around me, not what I wish for, I suspect I'll be caring for elderly relatives. All my SILs work full time. One of my brothers is single and recovering financially from an expensive divorce, so he'll not retire early. My parents aren't married to each other, my mom is remarried so they can't live together. My in-laws are in declining health and my husband's only sister isn't expected to survive her stage 4 cancer beyond this year. That's 5. Five parents currently in their 70s on the decline with not enough kids to go around to care for them if they become unable to care for themselves. 10 years ago I was helping my mother, an only child, care for her parents in frail health for 3 years.

Seriously people, think about this stuff before you get that call. We're all facing it sooner or later.

I am facing it now. My mom is a virtual pauper. But we can't support her, pay her deductible, her meds, etc. and have three kids in college at once, and shore up our own retirement savings without me going back to work. The math doesn't add up. So if she can't care for herself, she will end up in a nursing home much as I hate that idea. However, the rubber met the road when my father figure completely ruined them financially and left her with the outcome. It won't be pretty for my mother in law either because I think she was counting on me to take care of her with dh. But she is 81 and her health is going down quickly. Dh cannot retire for 10-12 more years, and I have to work. Have to. She isn't going to pay my mom's bills or help with college, and is blowing through her savings rapidly so she may end up in the same boat with my mom. Dh's sibs are furious about the situation because her house is worth a lot and they expected us to keep her in it until she died instead of selling it to pay for nursing home or assisted living, but they aren't volunteering to help either.

Definitely not just a sandwiched generation, but a crushed one or at least that is how it feels.

I am facing it now. My mom is a virtual pauper. But we can't support her, pay her deductible, her meds, etc. and have three kids in college at once, and shore up our own retirement savings without me going back to work. The math doesn't add up. So if she can't care for herself, she will end up in a nursing home much as I hate that idea. However, the rubber met the road when my father figure completely ruined them financially and left her with the outcome. It won't be pretty for my mother in law either because I think she was counting on me to take care of her with dh. But she is 81 and her health is going down quickly. Dh cannot retire for 10-12 more years, and I have to work. Have to. She isn't going to pay my mom's bills or help with college, and is blowing through her savings rapidly so she may end up in the same boat with my mom. Dh's sibs are furious about the situation because her house is worth a lot and they expected us to keep her in it until she died instead of selling it to pay for nursing home or assisted living, but they aren't volunteering to help either.

Definitely not just a sandwiched generation, but a crushed one or at least that is how it feels.

FWIW, your MIL's situation sounds perfect for a reverse mortgage. They aren't ideal if you don't *need* them, but when you *need* them, they could be perfect. Personally, as I'd never, ever want to live in a facility, I'd much rather reverse mortgage my home to get a few/many more years living independently if I could possibly do so. (Assuming your MIL is otherwise able to live independently safely.)

Ideally, if she can qualify for a HELOC, they are (IMHO) a better way to get cash out of a residence . . . but, if she can't qualify for a HELOC, then a reverse mortgage might very well be worth looking into. Of course, research them very carefully and choose wisely, and make sure whatever you/she does won't cause unintended harm. I'd probably spend the $$ to consult with an Elder Care Attorney just to make sure about the consequences of the reverse mortgage before pulling the trigger. 

• Like 3

I would have liked to, but, other than individuals seeking me out or getting referred to me, I can't see many people being all that interested in anything I have to share.  I still participate here, obviously, and in a few online and facebook groups, but mostly as a way to have contact with other people.  I am sure I will be weeding out those that don't really interest me much. 

I had planned on opening a consulting business and would have enjoyed that.  However, as an introvert, the reality of marketing and self-promotion to people in a culture of guru-chasing (you can't be important if you haven't written a book or don't have a blog followed by thousands) shows me that it is really not a good fit.  I had kind-of hoped to join forces with another local experienced homeschool mom ... she is more the outgoing type and she likes to write and I work better on those hard tasks as part of a team.  However, she has just started a consulting business on her own.  And, looking at what she is doing and the fact that she still has school-aged children and is in contact with the people who would need her services, I am seeing that it really isn't a good fit for me and I am at peace with that.  She does liberally give credit to the people who have helped her on her journey (and I am one of those.)  I guess I live on in that world as a credit in her footnotes.  

FWIW, your MIL's situation sounds perfect for a reverse mortgage. They aren't ideal if you don't *need* them, but when you *need* them, they could be perfect. Personally, as I'd never, ever want to live in a facility, I'd much rather reverse mortgage my home to get a few/many more years living independently if I could possibly do so. (Assuming your MIL is otherwise able to live independently safely.)

Ideally, if she can qualify for a HELOC, they are (IMHO) a better way to get cash out of a residence . . . but, if she can't qualify for a HELOC, then a reverse mortgage might very well be worth looking into. Of course, research them very carefully and choose wisely, and make sure whatever you/she does won't cause unintended harm. I'd probably spend the $$ to consult with an Elder Care Attorney just to make sure about the consequences of the reverse mortgage before pulling the trigger.

This area never recovered from the bubble burst. She is unique that she still has a house of high value and some land which is probably worth more because land is more primo here. But because of the high repossession rate and low sale rate, reverse mortgages are not offered in her zip code and several neighboring ones. But if we price it right, we should be able to move it due to being a gorgeous log home in the woods with ten acres.

I think I will be less involved here for the next few years while I get through college, but maybe then will be back to use some of what I learned.

My primary goal right now has nothing to do with homeschooling, other than that homeschoolers are PEOPLE, people that come from all cultures and income levels, including marginalized ones.

I want to study sociology and journalism and grant writing. Then I want to conduct new primary research that truly reflects the things I want to advocate for, and write about that info well enough to advocate for marginalized populations. Homeless and low-income homeschoolers are ONE of the groups I feel passionate about, along with "treatment resistant" addicts with trauma backgrounds, and people with distorted-reality mental illnesses that are walking around without proper glasses and hearing aids which just makes things worse for them, and a hodge lodge of other marginalized groups that are misunderstood and too-often further victimized by the majority instead of helped by them.

I don't want to work one-on-one with most of the marginalized populations I want to advocate for. I want to use what I have learned BEING one of them, or literally sleeping in the bed next to them. I want to fold my most challenging moments into the research I will be conducting. And then I want to WRITE. My pen is my sword. I need to work on sharpening it right now.

This past summer was so unbelievable, I can't even start to share it here, because I will just sound like a liar or insane. But I am a new person after all that happened. It was a WILD ride to be sure. LOL. And the energy it took to survive it is still propelling me forward at an exponential rate.

I'm not done with homeschoolers, but it will be less one-on-one, and more research, writing, and advocating for them.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 3

Well, I was extremely active in homeschool groups, to the point of being one of the founders of one and being on the board for years. I have and do run multiple clubs and interest groups. I was actively involved in a co-op. But eventually it got to the point where these aren't serving DD's educational needs. When she was 5, she needed Park days, field trips to make pizza, and getting together with others for parties and to do messy science and crafty stuff. Being the one setting up the events and classes meant I could make it happen.

When DD was 8, she needed to know other Homeschoolers did school, too. She was starting to get a not entirely erroneous picture that for some of the other families in our group, the messy science and art projects and field trips WERE their homeschooling. So, we started getting together with other families to prepare for the NME, and to have the kids prepare and share short presentations on mythology. That spawned an animal group that did the same thing. When DD wanted to do math competitions. I started a math club.

Now. though, she doesn't look to homeschoolers much for social interaction. She has a handful of homeschool friends and friends at cheer. And she's happy with that. She gets her group intellectual interaction from her concurrent college classes.

Basically, if I do anything in the homeschool world, I'm doing it for other people's kids, not for DD. But I know, from years of doing this, that doing this stuff cost me greatly financially and emotionally and physically. That was OK when DD was benefiting. But if she's not, I need to get something out of it. And I simply don't.

Now if someone wants to pay me to run a math club, or a Mythology club, or to organize messy science activities....

• Like 4

I apologize to anyone not able to decipher my writing. Maybe my writing could be clearer. But I just assumed I was still well-enough known to be understood, even though I have been in a situation, not of my choosing, that FORCED me to be elsewhere for awhile. I don't have time to clarify my writing, and I will not explain the circumstances behind my forum break or defend it . I guess we can all pray that college teaches me how to write more precisely. Again, my apologies to anyone that thinks my writing said something other than what I intended.

• Like 1

I apologize to anyone not able to decipher my writing. Maybe my writing could be clearer. But I just assumed I was still well-enough known to be understood, even though I have been in a situation, not of my choosing, that FORCED me to be elsewhere for awhile. I don't have time to clarify my writing, and I will not explain the circumstances behind my forum break or defend it . I guess we can all pray that college teaches me how to write more precisely. Again, my apologies to anyone that thinks my writing said something other than what I intended.

Hunter, no need to apologize. You've been part of this community for a very long time, regardless of whether you've been away for a while or not. Best wishes! Your goal sounds like a worthy one. :)

Edited by samba
  • Like 7

I have no plans to stay involved in anything homeschool-related. Honestly, I feel done already, even though I have one student left. His needs are so great and draining that I will welcome a break. I taught before homeschooling so I feel like I'm ready to be done teaching, period. Unfortunately, teaching is all I'm qualified to do so I will definitely need to reinvent myself with a new career and I have no idea what that will be.

• Like 1

I will stay involved--I have no choice! The ps sends folks to me all the time--I get the phone calls from women at their wit's end looking for tutors or co-ops, etc. Heck, I even get calls from the sheriff, hoping that I can help them arrest someone for hsing! I get the phone calls from social services, looking for socialization opportunities for kids who have been expelled. Let me see. I'll just whip up a whioe LIST of moms who are looking to hang out with your druggie kid!

:ohmy: :smilielol5:

• Like 1

I'm one of those old homeschoolers for whom homeschooling was a lifestyle.  I doubt that I will stay involved with homeschooling because "homeschooling" as an entity was not something that I was ever too invested in.  I was invested in my life.  Of course I will still be invested in my life even if my lifelong learning quests aren't for the purpose of launching my kids as educated adults. 

• Like 6

It wouldn't be data mining to compile the first data that compares low-income homeschoolers living in low-income areas to their OWN schools. And that compares homeless homeschoolers to those that ATTEMPT to keep their kids in school. That would be data that could enable a marginalized homeschooling family to be allowed to continue surpassing THEIR peers.

There are questions not being asked about marginalized populations, because those that usually ask the questions don't know to ask them. People are dying that don't need to die. I'm sick of watching people I care about die. I'm sick of the amount of money being wasted to HURT people. I'm sick of watching people go without the cheapest easiest to provide items that will make EVERYONE'S lives easier. The homeless women in my city literally cry for clean panties and no wants to write a frigging grant proposal to anyone willing to provide some. Grant proposals for panties are first on my list, unless someone else does it first. So far, no one I hound to do it wants to, and they treat me like I am being inappropriate. Muck that! 

Really, truly, comparing low-income homeschoolers to THEIR peers to show that they are the MOST successful homeschoolers of all, is lower on my list than panties, but it is on my list. I hope someone does it before me. But if they don't, it is something I want to come to light. Will I talk to anyone here, while I am working on that project? I might, because I have peeps here, and I would obviously talk to my peeps about my LIFE and my WORK and my PASSIONS.

As for making money, I think we all know I don't give a poop about making money. I am 50 and will never pay off the debt I may choose to accumulate. My fire to do this has nothing to do with money. I'm ANGRY!!!! Stuff happened this summer. BIG stuff. Very few people know the details, because some of what happened REQUIRED me to significantly decrease my contact with a LOT of people, and still does, and to continue to keep my mouth shut.

I still am classified as severely disabled with little to chance of recovery, but the same as a person bound to a wheelchair, I am fighting for my rights to an education and inclusion to mainstream life, even if I need help and am sometimes in the way. I have stuff to do that isn't being done. My anger fuels me. Eleven years this month, I have been tossed around by the system. One year since that dead veteran neighbor killed himself and rotted for 8 days, and popped like a balloon into my air vent.

Breathing in the fumes of his body, for two weeks before he finally got cleaned up, taught me something I will never forget. Somehow I now know the human species is not supposed to kill their own. Period. Not because a holy book or a government document says so, but because I KNOW. Some instinct got triggered from pheromones or something that I don't know enough about biology to explain. Knowing we all have the right to exist, means I have the right to exist. And if I have the right to be here, I'm going to do something with myself for as long as I am here.

I am an oldschooler that HOMEschooled. I will always be one, because it is who I AM. So...that part of me will continue to be a part of my future. And when my food stamps are taken away AGAIN at the end of this month, I'll have to resort to soup kitchens and food pantries until someone gets them back for me. And I can pretty much count on running into a homeless homeschooling family trying to figure out what the muck to do, and being judged too harshly, when in context to their OWN peers, they are creating miracles, not merely doing enough. There will be a day a sobbing homeschool mom will make me more angry about this situation that some others and who knows what will happen. Because right now, anger is my rocket fuel. I'm just looking ahead and predicting what will make me most angry.

This is a ramble and I don't have time to edit and fix it. You all are my peeps. I'm comfortable enough to figure you can and will read between the lines and see my heart, not my lack of writing ability and lack of time.

The thread is about what comes next. This is MY next. My sloppy, crazy, surreal, amazing next. Hunter is on her way to college. 

• Like 10

I'm one of those old homeschoolers for whom homeschooling was a lifestyle.  I doubt that I will stay involved with homeschooling because "homeschooling" as an entity was not something that I was ever too invested in.  I was invested in my life.  Of course I will still be invested in my life even if my lifelong learning quests aren't for the purpose of launching my kids as educated adults. 

Yes to this. Homeschooling was part of our lifestyle because it worked for our family and our son and because of the local school system. That was our life. Now that he's past compulsory school age I'm no more involved in homeschooling than I would be involved in b&m public or private schooling. Our life is different now.

• Like 3

No idea this early in the game. But I do like to think I would (even if only here and there) enjoy tutoring people in some capacity. I found out that our church has a program where tutors help children of Spanish speakers that are unable to help their children with their homework. I think I would love to do something like that, but with dh's work schedule it's basically impossible.

Both my parents helped tutor adult ESL students at the public library through some literacy program. I remember at least one of the students coming to our home at some point.

I've looked into a literacy program in my area, but they said that this branch does not have that program. I have also looked into tutoring at a community center, but again I can't due to scheduling.

• Like 1

Hey Hunter, you're not alone re the panties for the homeless thing.

I got a small grant to buy socks and underwear and package it into bundles for homeless and near homeless folks.  It's amazing how much $250 can buy if you have outlet stores in the area.

I know this is off topic, and veering further--I would like to alert everyone to the great thing it is to provide herbs and spices (ie FLAVOR!) to food bank food recipients.  Have you ever thought about how crazy it would be if you didn't have any?  Mostly, food bank peeps don't.  Another underthoughtabout cool thing to do.

• Like 1

Hey Hunter, you're not alone re the panties for the homeless thing.

I got a small grant to buy socks and underwear and package it into bundles for homeless and near homeless folks.  It's amazing how much $250 can buy if you have outlet stores in the area.

I know this is off topic, and veering further--I would like to alert everyone to the great thing it is to provide herbs and spices (ie FLAVOR!) to food bank food recipients.  Have you ever thought about how crazy it would be if you didn't have any?  Mostly, food bank peeps don't.  Another underthoughtabout cool thing to do.

$250 goes a LONG way. And clean panties helps everyone. It keeps the seats clean on public transportation and in libraries.

Yes to spices! Tea bags, coffee, sugar, flour, cocoa, and cooking oil. Google "Wacky cake" and all these ingredients are shelf stable and could be donated with the recipe, and used to supplement more common food pantry fare.

• Like 3

Back on topic, I will probably recommend homeschooling to kids I encounter on the internet who are having problems with traditional schools. It would be nice to be able to point them in the general direction of future SWBs.

These will mostly be teens and their parents accidental homeschoolers and it will be extremely peripheral to more relevant work in some sort of free culture movement that is similar to but different than the original homeschooling movement of the 20th century.

Definitely time to step down from any sort of leadership role and focus on creating spaces for people to blossom and taking care of the grunt work, like answering frequently asked questions on peer support forums so the developers have more time to develop or cleaning my daughter-in-law's toilet so that she can have time to homeschool her own kids.

My millenials have been wildly successful, but I do not consider myself a "successful" homeschooler, since one graduated from Beach High and the other from ps. Therefore, I am not an appropriate role model for new homeschoolers nor do I have any interest in working for a charter school, umbrella school, day care center, etc.

No idea what that's going to look like as far as job titles or whether it will be part of or completely separate from I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

But no regrets. Seriously, folks, no regrets. If I had my life to live over again, I would.

I hope yours is less dramatic but every bit as rewarding. :)

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure young, energetic homeschoolers would be encouraged by me trudging about mumbling "two more years" or complaining that high school is killing me. They also might not feel incredibly inspired by my college student who is NOT at Harvard. Does anyone even use Phonics Pathways or Singapore Math anymore?

If they wanted to pay my regular rates to continue my co-op class, I'd consider it, but homeschoolers can be remarkably cheap and I'm not dragging in at a discount.

• Like 5

I'm not sure young, energetic homeschoolers would be encouraged by me trudging about mumbling "two more years" or complaining that high school is killing me. They also might not feel incredibly inspired by my college student who is NOT at Harvard. Does anyone even use Phonics Pathways or Singapore Math anymore?

If they wanted to pay my regular rates to continue my co-op class, I'd consider it, but homeschoolers can be remarkably cheap and I'm not dragging in at a discount.

<raises hand> Me! Well, Singapore. I use OPGTR - the exact same one I bought 12 years ago when eldest was learning to read. My last baby is using a very tattered, much loved copy to learn to read now.

I may have just outed myself, huh.

By the time my youngest graduates IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be near 60. By that time IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll hopefully have been retired from my paying job for several years (having achieved a rarity in my field - 30 years on the job, most likely all of it in the field). I will be ready for some R&R.

We pulled out of a co-op last year, and I realized that our involvement had taken a toll on me, so I won't be involved in the future. Nice people and all, but I need to stay away.

When I first started homeschooling, I loved the search for curriculum. I would ask people about their choices because I was truly interested; but, too many moms were defensive about their choices, so I stopped asking. I only searched online, and gleaned ideas from this board, and another one. There are a few moms who seem to be the patient mentors in our community, so I leave it to them to help the newbies.

I'm hoping to get a job next year, so my life will be changing. We are in college-mode in our house now.

I might. I've got years left to figure that out. For what it's worth, I've been helped a great deal by the wiser homeschoolers before me, not with advice as much as the encouragement I needed to find my own way. 

That is what I have always found to be most helpful.  People who shared what they did and why, but not give me a recipe to be followed, but asked me questions to think about to help me discern what I was looking for.  I rarely used exactly what someone else used, or, if I did, not in the same way.  I always bristled at people who told me that THEIR way was the RIGHT way.  Even with Classical homeschooling, I was always eclectic, keeping what worked for us and ignoring what didn't.  

ETA:  And this is how I hope I am perceived when I give advice or encouragement to other homeschoolers.  When  I have given talks about homeschooling high school, one of the first things out of my mouth is that there is no ONE RIGHT WAY to do things.  That is why I have shied away from being seen and THE expert or guru, but a voice among many and a voice that shares what I have learned from people who came before me.  The talks I have liked best are the ones where I am on a panel of several people who have had different approaches.  But, it is hard to have a consulting biz when you are so up front with your limitations, so I've decided to let that idea go.  People who are paying you money want answers.  They want you to tell them what to do, not how to come to your own conclusions.  And I will never be an expert in someone else's family and circumstances.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 4

Yeah, this could easily be me.  My mom and step-dad are probably gong to be in good health for a while, and my dad will mostly have his slightly younger wife to help him out with most things, and his community.

But my in-laws are older and their only other child is three hours away.  I have an aunt down the street who has a lot of health problems.  Any of them could easily start to need more help.

Then my parents will be getting on, and my mom also has an older brother who is childless, and a sister with only one child who works, and may need some help.

Really, if I go back to work at some point, even if my caboose baby is old enough to fend for herself, I'm probably going to need to look for a somewhat flexible career.  Luckily my dh will qualify for his full pension at 55, so he'll be able to help out, or maybe have a second career so I don't need to go back to work.

The "old school curriculum" thread is pounding the point home to me that I have a lot of obsolete curriculum around. Except that it taught my kids the 3 R's just fine. But I guess that I won't be recommending them to newbies.

Ha! Me too! And I'm amused that people are calling Singapore math an old curriculum. My kids were well into Saxon before I started hearing anything about it.

Maybe. My life has been homeschool mom, homeschool co-op teacher, girl scout leader, and children's church volunteer. I can't imagine not doing any of that. So I assume I will stay involved in some of it. Our gs troop leader's dd is in her early 20's and hasn't been in scouts for years. But the leader has stayed active. I so appreciate it. 

I definitely plan to help my kids with their kids with whatever. 

The "old school curriculum" thread is pounding the point home to me that I have a lot of obsolete curriculum around.  Except that it taught my kids the 3 R's just fine.  But I guess that I won't be recommending them to newbies. 

Well, while there may be newbies that are not interested in tried and true, I think there are many out there that would still value input from someone who has real long term experience using those tried and true methods.  

• Like 4

I never fit into the local homeschooling community which is why the WTM (books and boards) were so important to me.  In my retirement from homeschooling, I am an active volunteer, something that keeps me in contact with youth in the community.  I sometimes work with homeschoolers or the traditionally schooled.  It really doesn't matter since I enjoy young people.

That said, when I was giving a tour recently to some homeschoolers at the wildlife shelter where I am a volunteer, I did find myself involved in a casual conversation about homeschooling in general.  There were some parents of preteens who were quite happy to hear about my son who benefited greatly from the flexibility of homeschooling. They had a number of questions for me.

So am I involved in homeschooling?  No. But I am involved with youth--and I'll be happy to discuss homeschooling with anyone who is interested.

• Like 2