9 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 laurarams

laurarams

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

I'm part of an once a week academic homeschool co-op that cycles through SOTW for K-5th graders. Next year we are doing SOTW4 and the steering committee is trying to figure out the best way to do this for the younger classes like K and 1st grade since it's geared towards the older students. We like all the grades doing the same time period/cycle because it's easier for families at home to all be reading/listening to the same book. Any suggestions on how to best gear the SOTW4 to the younger elementary ages?

#2 Laura Corin

Laura Corin

She who plants flowers for bees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23520 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

I'd honestly do something else - that's a tough period of history. 

Have the younger ones do some unit work on their own and have them join in when the cycle repeats next year.  If it were my kids, I'd do a big unit on the prehistory of the planet, including the Big Bang, Plate Tectonics, Evolution....

• Crimson Wife, loesje22000, Evanthe and 3 others like this

#3 whitehawk

whitehawk

Making it go!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5424 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

I don't think it'd make a lot of sense to kids that young with no history background. Why not do a year of geography with them?

• Laura Corin, loesje22000, Spryte and 1 other like this

#4 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22597 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

I think if you want to keep them on the same track as their siblings, a year of "20th Century Heroes" where they look at people like Gandhi, MLK, Susan B Anthony, both the Roosevelts, Churchill... and important cultural figures and artists... that makes sense. But the idea of having them reading the same books as the 4th/5th graders feels to me like it robs the older kids of the material they deserve and skips too much.

I really second the idea to just do something else for a year instead. US history, Geography... I'm so glad we did modern history and I absolutely think you can do many aspects of modern history with younger kids - but the way you'd do it is just radically different. For a mixed age group like that, making a topic like ancient history or geography scale in one group is so much easier.

Edited by Farrar, 12 October 2017 - 10:26 AM.

• RootAnn, 2_girls_mommy, Crimson Wife and 6 others like this

#5 2_girls_mommy

2_girls_mommy

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4344 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

I would keep them in the same cycle. But I would just do like above said: focus on people from the time period. There is plenty that they can do at that age, plenty of biographies. 

We once did an "American Heroes" class at co-op for around that age range. Basically I used the What Your 1st Grader Needs to Know as a guide, and we learned about the peoples in the book (and added some too.) We focused on America that year, and the WYFGNTK had a good selection of peoples for that age range, and as I recall it is from the same time period as SOTW4 basically, but its been a good 7 years so I could be off on that. We got videos of them from the library on the person when we could and do a craft or an activity each week. Some of the activities from SOTW4 will probably  be appropriate. 

• ddcrook and Momto5inIN like this

#6 nixpix5

nixpix5

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

Agree with everyone else. I would do something else. It is a more challenging read and comprehension level as well. My L and 1st couldn't do it, I know that much. Plus the content is so heavy.

#7 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4574 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

I'd just do geography, probably.

#8 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:23 AM

ditto on geography or a level appropriate US History. It's just too heavy. They really aren't missing anything getting looped in when in 3/4 which is the earliest I would do this book.

• SeaConquest likes this

#9 Spryte

Spryte

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9451 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Another vote for doing something else entirely.  Then let them join in when the cycle starts over again.  SOTW4 is really geared to slightly older kids.

#10 EKS

EKS

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14186 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:39 PM

I would not do that part of history with little kids and I also wouldn't want to do it with kids who have no historical context for it.

For that group, I'd do a combination of world geography and American history.  Having a bit of American history early on is good because there are so many wonderful children's books for the K-3 crowd that assume some knowledge of American history or are made better by it.