Menu

Does your senior highschooler or college student have a computer?

sheryl

I'm interested in knowing for your senior level high schoolers who are in cc dual enrollment or your college/university student, do they have a laptop to take to class with them?

Do they have a "computer/box", laptop/pc or what? 

My daughter's friend came over the other day and they worked on school together.  The friend had an Apple that was a tablet or something.  It's the model that came out a few years ago where it was kinda like a pc but no disc drive and you can twist the monitor around and it becomes a tablet - or something like that.

My daughter wants an apple laptop for classes.  I think they're expensive.

I'd like to know what y'all have.   Thanks. 

• Like 2

My senior high school student does not, but my freshman does, because he saved his money and bought himself one. The older one is now saving for a computer, too.

My younger son bought a refurb Apple and saved a lot of money. I'm not sure which model he got, but I think he got a 2012 because it was the last year with an actual disc drive. I think he spent about $500, and he (and we) have been very pleased with the purchase.

• Like 3

We bought Dell laptops for each of our four kids when they started dual enrollment, with the intention that it went to college with them.

Edited by Kinsa

We're a computer house. Everyone has their own (except the toddler). My husband is a programmer. Everyone likes to game. My kids have hand me downs. We buy a new computer for the adults, and hand the old one down to the teenager. This way the upgrades benefit more than one person. My husband is next for the upgrades which will also benefit Oldest. I just recently got a computer and handed mine down to Middle (who had been dealing with the worst computer in the house for a couple years). Middle also has a chromebook from school.

• Like 7

My dd is a senior this year doing dual enrollment. Her textbook rental is included in the dual enrollment classes, so the university chose to give her e-books for chemistry and biology, and her homework for chemistry is on-line, so we scrambled to get her a laptop so she could do her school work without fighting for a computer and without being tied to our house (she sometimes pet/house sits). She is also taking Calculus on-line. Ironically, they gave her a hard copy of the calculus book. We wanted a relatively portable laptop in case she needed to take it to class with her, but, so far, she hasn't taken it with her. We bought her an Acer Spin-5 at Costco that was $100 off. She knows this is her big Christmas present this year, since my other kids got their first computers as gifts.

• Like 3

I imagine it would be rather inconvenient for a college student not to have a laptop or tablet, some device for accessing class stuff on the web and typing papers as well as taking notes.  (The only way we'd have a desktop in our house would be for user who needed more power than a laptop can provide, such as for gaming or photography.)

Like some of the PPs, even our 6th grader is required to have a personal device, in his case a laptop, for submitting assignments online.  Our high schoolers are required to have iPads, which they have with keyboards (folds up into a case, like a little laptop, looks like this), and also each has a laptop that lives at home, for other reasons.

There are lots of inexpensive ways to shop for such a device.  You don't need an expensive Apple MacBook.  I love my Macbook Pro, but it isn't necessary to spend that kind of money.

If a tablet is enough - and I probably wouldn't go that route, but for some people it is enough - the latest iPad (2017 5th generation 128gb) is reasonably priced, for a student (or at costco) around $400, plus a Logitech keyboard cover for around a hundred.  Total for both will be somewhere around $500.

However, for that amount, you could get a lot more power in a windows laptop on ebay, a Dell business laptop with warranty. (I only buy on ebay if it comes with a Dell warranty; we have had good luck with a refurbished Latitude 7270).

Or, there are much cheaper Chromebooks and such for just a couple hundred dollars.  Go to Best Buy to have a look at different options (though I wouldn't usually buy from there unless it's a great Black Friday deal - but Black Friday/cyber Monday is in like 6 weeks!).  Costco often has decent prices *but* no price will be as good as you can get on ebay (for a more durable device than Costco usually carries) if you can take the time to research devices and sellers.

Either way, take some time to understand what your student's needs are, electronically-speaking, and I'm willing to bet you can find a way to fulfill those needs at a decent price well below MacBook price levels.  If for some reason you do end up looking at MacBooks, note two things:  Apple gives college student discounts in a separate online education store and Apple also has an online refurb store with lower prices (indeed we bought our oldest a refurb Pro and it's been just fine).

Older thread that might have helpful ideas:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632649-what-laptop-does-your-high-schoolcollege-student-use/

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

Yes, both of my kids do.  

We switched from microsoft based laptops within in the last year and purchased three Apple MacBooks (one for me) and I will never go back to microsoft and HP.  I bought one for all of us to share and loved it so much that I just bit the bullet and bought them for all of us.  Well worth the extra money IMO.  

• Like 3

Ds22 got his own laptop when he started high school. His was a 17" gaming laptop so it was portable but not super light. We gave him a new one when he entered college. 

DD18 got her first laptop in 7th grade. She specifically wanted a 14inch to make it more portable.  At that time, you had to pay more for the smaller size.  It is a workhorse and is still going strong (I am on it right now).. It is slow and has a few hiccups but for hanging out her on the forums it still runs perfect.   She got a new laptop mid-high school. It is like you saw, that functions like a tablet (touch screen) and pc at the same time. 

It is pretty standard that students have their own laptop in our area. I would say at least 75% in public school and 100% in private school. 

• Like 2

Dd got a Surface Pro 4 from her grandparents when she started her nursing degree and she likes it a lot.  She commutes by transit/walking to school and clinicals (about an hour each way) and she has it in her bag about 50% of the time. It's small but powerful.  She has access to some of her textbooks on it so she can use it to study as well as notes, in-class powerpoint slides etc. 

This is a good youtube review of the features of Surface Pro. I'd recommend taking a look just to get a sense of what stuff is out there and which features you might want to look for. 

(the Surface is cheaper than Apple btw) 

eta: our kids got their own regular laptops when they were about 14....

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 3

It would be tough to be a college student without one. Even in the dinosaur days when I was college aged, kids had computers or word processors they took to college (word processor was like a step between a typewriter and a computer.)

They could use the computers in the computer labs at the college, sure, but it would be harder to find a quiet place to work or to work at odd hours without a computer of their own. We are a computer family so there are enough computers in the house for everyone (box or laptop), but we don't say "this is yours" to the kids. They just use one of the "family" computers.

I expect we'll get them something of their own when they go to college.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 5

my son needs a laptop for high school because of his accommodations.  One of his textbooks is online  and it can "read" to him.   In addition, all upper level kids at his school are required to have some kind of online access because almost all his school work (homework) is shared online - way, way better than having to rely on kids to write it down.  Teachers all post homework to google docs or some other shared document platform.  He's been working on a group project via google docs too.  And, he takes all in-class notes with his laptop.  He works on homework online - that way the teachers can see what he's done and how long he's worked on it.  He has very few papers that he brings home to work on. 

Prior to this child, we gave each of our older kids a laptop as part of their high school graduation. The intention was that they took it to college with them.  Almost all of them lasted 5 yrs (barely).  My next oldest child told me a year or so ago that she really could have used having a laptop to take to high school.  She said it would have saved her a lot of wasted time if she could have had access at school.  Hindsight is 20/20.   

We always bought a PC not an Apple. 

• Like 2

My freshman has a ASUS Chromebook, but nearly all his homework is online and he must submit his work using google docs. He shares it with his sister and it's only used in common areas. The benefit is it's relatively inexpensive and limited in functionality.

• Like 2

Both of my kids had a laptop in high school.  I realized that they would need to be able to know how to use a laptop efficiently for when they went off to college.  So I made sure they were adept at using one during our homeschooling years. 

Once at college, they were often required to bring a laptop to class.  Not just for note-taking, but also for group in-class projects. 

A hint for buying a laptop -make sure the battery will hold a charge long enough to last for one day of classes.  There often is not an electrical outlet nearby!

Myra

• Like 3

DD has a laptop, but doesn't take it to class. Her classes that really need computer access are in a computer lab, and for other stuff, she uses her phone. We are likely to upgrade her phone for Christmas partially because so much ends up using it on campus, so something that's more like a small tablet makes sense. My bonus kid has a windows tablet with a keyboard, and does use it in class because she needs to have the notes in advance, and her instructor puts them on PAWS (the campus intranet), so she can pull them up there, and then add only as needed. The desks for lecture-type classes aren't big enough for anything more than a tablet.

At home, we have multiple computers, but having a laptop is helpful in portability. DD does a lot of her work at the cheer gym between classes, or in the car. A mobile hotspot or phone that can make a hotspot is very helpful, too.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2

Once at college, they were often required to bring a laptop to class.  Not just for note-taking, but also for group in-class projects. 

This is the case for DD also.  She has a Lenova Yoga. Her old one was much heavier and was too much weight in the backpack.  This one was more expensive but worth it for the lighter weight.

• Like 3

My college freshman has had a laptop for years. She got a new one for college and we paid for half as a graduation gift and she paid for the rest, as the apple products are more expensive. But they also last SO much longer. We will never go back -- we have an imac that's given us almost no problems for 7 years, and a macbook that's lasted for six, and it runs virtually the same. Our hp laptop and chromebooks are not even in the same league when it comes to ease of use and reliability. 

• Like 3

We're a computer house. Everyone has their own (except the toddler). My husband is a programmer. Everyone likes to game. My kids have hand me downs. We buy a new computer for the adults, and hand the old one down to the teenager. This way the upgrades benefit more than one person. My husband is next for the upgrades which will also benefit Oldest. I just recently got a computer and handed mine down to Middle (who had been dealing with the worst computer in the house for a couple years). Middle also has a chromebook from school.

That's what we did when the boys were young. DH is also a programmer, and we gave the boys their own computers starting when they were around four. Once they reached high school the hand-me-downs didn't work so well since their needs far outpaced mine (I'm a surf-the-Internet and get my e-mail kind of user). A laptop that's fine for me wouldn't begin to cut it for them. I can't begin to imagine how a college student could function w/o a laptop of their own.

• Like 4

Ds has his own desktop computer at home but we bought him a Microsoft Surface 3 tablet when he began DE (he's now a full time college student). He doesn't always use the tablet though. The CC provides each student with a Microsoft Office student version for up to 3 devices, and it includes the ability to save things to the cloud (all papers are required to be done in Word, not a Word-like program). Ds will often go to the school library and use their computer. He uses both his cloud account and a flash drive. 

• Like 4

Myra in post #18 mentioned battery life. Although I would be very frustrated, with the limitations of a Chromebook, if it can do what the user needs to do, I believe the battery life each day will be hours longer, than with any laptop. Especially not an inexpensive or lightweight laptop. I would investigate the needs of the student and then see whether or not a Chromebook is capable of that.

DD has had her own computers for years. Linux and Windows.  She has 2 Dell Enterprise Laptops. The newer, more powerful one is a Latitude E6410 like I'm using to write this.  I bought it  "Used/Incomplete" from a very reputable eBay Seller in PA. I think these were produced in approximately 2010 but don't remember.

The older one, her backup laptop, is a Dell Latitude E6400. Older (2008?) and much slower, older technology. I have one of those for my Backup laptop also.

DD has the last Desktop PC we ordered new from Dell Latin America.  It is not an Enterprise grade machine. It is a Consumer grade machine, but it has served well. We ordered that during October 2012 and it was delivered during November 2012.  My wife had been using that one, but it is now in the area where DD studies and the Printer is connected to it.

So, in the area DD studies in, there are 3 Windows boxes available to her, plus her Tablet, plus her Android phone. 

The older Enterprise grade Dell laptops that we have in the house are too heavy for DIL to carry around in her backpack all day when she works and then take to school at night.  When she began going to school at night, my wife bought her a low end ACER mini laptop. It has Windows 10. I believe the display is about 12".  It has served well.  I would probably look at something like that, and not a Chromebook, if I had to have something light and carry it around in a backpack all day...

You can do A LOT more on a laptop than you can do on a Chromebook.  I've never used a Chromebook, but I have read about them, here on WTM and on computer web sites.  

DD has a Huawei Tablet.  I don't think she uses it much, but we got it free from our ISP, so that's not a problem.

My stepson's company gave him a Lenovo Phablet a few months ago.  Too big for a man to put in a pocket of their pants, but women have purses. For making phone calls, I think it would be uncomfortable, to hold something that big up to my ear, for more than a couple of minutes.

There are different ways you can do this. I would first  determine the needs and then go from there. Good luck!

• Like 2

My dd in high school has a MacBook Air. All of our products...phones and computers are Apple so it makes it easy to transfer information and work from one to the other. It's a laptop so easy to carry along so she can do her online courses anywhere.

• Like 2

One of my kids hasn't needed one yet and doesn't want one. She uses the desktop at home or a computer at school. But half her classes are studio art that require no papers or other submissions that a computer would be useful for.

The other has a Chromebook that is good enough for now.  He takes it to school most of the time, but doesn't use it in class. He can do all his papers and such on it but there is one math program he has to use that doesn't work, so he uses the home desktop. He'll probably need something else before too long, certainly when he transfers to finish his bachelor's, but so far the Chromebook has been fine.

• Like 2

Oldest DS has a desktop.  His machine needed to be upgraded when he started college but he prefers desktops to laptops so that is what he has.  In 2 years he has needed a laptop for class exactly 1 time.  He borrowed second DS's laptop (that DS prefers a laptop and uses it for online classes),  eldest DD uses a desktop because that was the extra machine we had available (it's either DS's old machine or mine, I'm not sure which DH gave her, he's the resident computer expert).

Anyways, all the machines are Windows.  Apple products are way too expensive for what you get.  In my opinion, you are just paying extra for the status of a brand name.  I actually find Windows products easier to use than Apple (but I know many will disagree with me on that).  DH wasn't too impressed with the Chrome products but we did consider them as well.

• Like 4

We bought Dell laptops for each of our four kids when they started dual enrollment, with the intention that it went to college with them.

This. In fact, he owns the only computers in the house- a laptop bought for DE (he gets dropped on campus for a few hours st a time) and a desktop bought a few years ago. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a programmer and gamer, the rest of us just surf the net on tablets or phones for fun.

When I occasionally need to print something I just use his desktop.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get his hand me down desktop eventually.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

They ARE expensive, but I have found Apple laptops to be a very good investment. My DD (in college) purchased her own. We had provided her with an iPad in high school; it was required that students either own one or rent one from the school, so we bought one for each teen. My current high school senior has the iPad we bought him for school, an HP laptop he purchased himself a few years ago, and he is currently using our (very) old Mac desktop for audio engineering stuff he does for fun.

IME, Apple computers last a very long time and are worth the investment. Our pcs always end up getting FUBARed some way or other within five years or less. The Mac laptop I currently use is almost as old as my youngest child (12), although I could really use a new one.

• Like 2

Oldest DS has a PC to use at home, and a Dell laptop for taking back & forth. The Dell is messed up at the moment so he's going to be getting a replacement (the piece died that lets the laptop read the charger cord), but right now it isn't as urgent as his current classes, he takes notes by hand regardless (too much writing of complicated math equations/physics formulas). 

We will get a good quality laptop for the next one, vs a cheaper one as we did to start, so that it will (hopefully) last longer next time. 

• Like 2

We got dd a MacBook when she was in 7th grade because she was on mine constantly for online classes and word processing.  She is also on a road a lot and having a laptop means she can do her work and classes anywhere.  I cannot imagine going to college without one.  I teach at a university and all of my students have some sort of computing device.

Macs might be expensive but they are not buggy and they last forever.  Mine is 10 years old and going strong.

• Like 3

We're a computer family and we each have our own computers. In the past ds would always get the hand-me-down from either dh or me when we upgraded. He's a gamer though and wanted a decent gaming desktop computer (dh and I prefer laptops), so he saved up and bought one for himself when he was about fifteen. That's the one he still has though he's done several upgrades to it over the years. To say ds has a computer specifically for school would be untrue then, since we've always had our own computers, even ds since he was about eleven (it did have some parental controls on it early on).

Oldest DS has a desktop.  His machine needed to be upgraded when he started college but he prefers desktops to laptops so that is what he has.  In 2 years he has needed a laptop for class exactly 1 time.  He borrowed second DS's laptop (that DS prefers a laptop and uses it for online classes),  eldest DD uses a desktop because that was the extra machine we had available (it's either DS's old machine or mine, I'm not sure which DH gave her, he's the resident computer expert).

I don't think ds has ever had a real need for a laptop or even his tablet in class. When there were group projects that involved research, the class would go to the learning lab or the campus library and use their computers. Ds will sometimes do homework between classes when he stays on campus but as I said upthread he either uses his flash drive or accesses his work in progress in the cloud. The college says all students are required to either have a computer or have access to one, but that's for homework. And those who can't afford a computer can of course, use the library or learning lab computers. They do have to sign up for a block of time, but that's not usually a problem.

Anyways, all the machines are Windows.  Apple products are way too expensive for what you get.  In my opinion, you are just paying extra for the status of a brand name.  I actually find Windows products easier to use than Apple (but I know many will disagree with me on that).  DH wasn't too impressed with the Chrome products but we did consider them as well.

No disagreement here. I find Windows machines easier to use. There was a time when Apple products truly were more user friendly but those days are long gone. Apple keeps trying to pretend that's still true. I don't want Chrome products or Amazon products like the Kindle Fire for the same reason I don't want Apple products. Apple, besides being more expensive for no reason other than status, locks you into their system. There's much more freedom with Windows products.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

I have similar longevity from our Windows based machines.  Perhaps it's because DH is an IT guy and knows how to pick them and/or fix them but my DH's computer is 9 years old (and he does a lot of intense processing stuff on it), DD's computer is a hand me down of a hand me down (all new computers start with DH and get rolled to me and then to a child, I'm just not sure if she got it directly from me of from a different child).  We still have an XP machine for running games.

• Like 3

They've had laptops and/or chrome books since they were 13.

Very handy for school, usually necessary for college, but not for the purpose of actually taking them to class. They take notes the old-fashioned way. 

Oldest dd has a Samsung Spin, which is a hybrid laptop/tablet, but generally does not carry it with her. 

Youngest dd does bring her iPad pro to chemistry and digital design. They use Top Hat in chemistry, and she doesn't have a very smart phone, the ipad app works much better. In digital design, she uses it to look for inspiration and examples, and also to send me samples for critique - I have put her to work making me a business logo  :laugh:

• Like 2

We got all of our kids inexpensive dell desktop computers a few years ago.  It made it easier for them to do some subjects for school and made it so I didn't have to referee sharing of one computer.  I have my own computer and don't want the kids using it, same for DH.  We got DD, who is a senior this year, a laptop for use for art school.  She needed it for her animation class and is now using it for her digital art class.  It is a dell and DH picked it out.  He works in IT and knows quite a bit about what will work for what she needs.  She will take it away with her to college.  I have no idea if she plans to take her desktop computer or not.

• Like 3

No disagreement here. I find Windows machines easier to use. There was a time when Apple products truly were more user friendly but those days are long gone. Apple keeps trying to pretend that's still true. I don't want Chrome products or Amazon products like the Kindle Fire for the same reason I don't want Apple products. Apple, besides being more expensive for no reason other than status, locks you into their system. There's much more freedom with Windows products.

This may just come down to preference.  I have to use both as my work computer is a windows machine.  I find it very frustrating compared to my Apple products.

• Like 4

all my college students have/had their own computers. they all had access to one as high school students.

If I'm buying a computer for a student, high school or college, I will only buy a laptop.  just, FAR more useful as it can go with them.  they can take it to class, to study groups, or wherever they decide to hole up and work.  depending upon major/classes they are taking - you might want to have the 10-key extension on the keyboard.  it also makes a wider screen.  there is the option of hooking it up to a monitor for a larger screen at home.

convertable "laptop ---> tablet" touch screens are popular around here.

1dd entered college in 2001, she had a desktop and a printer in her dorm room.  2dd was the first one to have a laptop for college when she was in ?grad school?  previously she had a desktop.

my boys have desktops they paid for themselves, they game. when 1ds decided to be a serious student, he went out and bought himself a surface. (he really likes it.)   last year 2ds finally conceded he needed a laptop for school because his desktop just wasn't practical, so we bought him one.  it fell under school expenses.

there is a difference between a computer decked out for gaming, and a computer for more studious reasons.  know the difference. (some: speed, !graphics!, desktops - laptops don't game well.)  I refuse to buy a gaming computer.  

what does the modern family fight over?  bandwidth.

eta: our school district is now supplying laptops for middle and high school students.  The teachers are *supposed* to put all homework into one-note so students will have it.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Oldest DS has a PC to use at home, and a Dell laptop for taking back & forth. The Dell is messed up at the moment so he's going to be getting a replacement (the piece died that lets the laptop read the charger cord), but right now it isn't as urgent as his current classes, he takes notes by hand regardless (too much writing of complicated math equations/physics formulas). 

We will get a good quality laptop for the next one, vs a cheaper one as we did to start, so that it will (hopefully) last longer next time. 

Have you looked on eBay for the component that laptop needs?  Especially if it is a Dell Enterprise grade machine, because those are made in huge quantities, hopefully you can find the component you need, on eBay. There is a very reputable place in Central FL, I think North of Orlando, I've purchased 2 or 3 used things from them for our Dell Laptops. DiscountedLaptopParts or something like that.

TRY TO BUY FROM A SELLER WHO TESTS THINGS...  

2 or 3 years ago, my wife had issues with the keyboard in the Dell Laptop she was using at the moment.  Possibly I'm using that machine now.  An Enterprise grade machine.  I bought her a Brand New keyboard, from a reputable eBay Seller in PA.  It was worse than the keyboard she had replaced.   Got a credit from that Seller.  Then, I bought a Used one, from a reputable eBay Seller just North of Dallas. They stated in their eBay listing that they TEST things. Presto.  That keyboard works fine.  

If it is a Consumer grade laptop, those are harder to get components for, but you may be lucky. 

Good luck!

P.S.

Dell has a very active forum for customers. If you can't find that component, post in the appropriate Forum and possibly someone can point you to a source for that component.

P.P.S.  

I am assuming that it is not simply the AC adapter. I have purchased several of those from laptopz-outlet on eBay.  They work perfectly.  I am assuming it is where the Cable plugs into the laptop, and that there is an issue at that point and the laptop is not seeing that the charger is plugged in and charging.

• Like 1

It would be tough to be a college student without one. Even in the dinosaur days when I was college aged, kids had computers or word processors they took to college (word processor was like a step between a typewriter and a computer.)

They could use the computers in the computer labs at the college, sure, but it would be harder to find a quiet place to work or to work at odd hours without a computer of their own. We are a computer family so there are enough computers in the house for everyone (box or laptop), but we don't say "this is yours" to the kids. They just use one of the "family" computers.

I expect we'll get them something of their own when they go to college.

dd watched the kids in the computer lab the night before major papers were due.  not only did they have to find a free computer, they had to find an available printer.  she was very glad to have her own set up.  and that was more than 10 years ago.

Both of my kids had a laptop in high school.  I realized that they would need to be able to know how to use a laptop efficiently for when they went off to college.  So I made sure they were adept at using one during our homeschooling years. 

A hint for buying a laptop -make sure the battery will hold a charge long enough to last for one day of classes.  There often is not an electrical outlet nearby!

Myra

external laptop battery charger.   1ds bought himself one - and it will go days between charges.  he never has to worry about an electrical socket, anywhere.  it will charge the laptop's battery (multiple times on one charge) so you don't have to have it constantly plugged into the laptop.  this allows a lighter battery.

1dd got an external phone battery charger as swag from some convention she attended.  I used it last summer - it was very handy.

I love having geeky children.

• Like 1

Have you looked on eBay for the component that laptop needs?  Especially if it is a Dell Enterprise grade machine, because those are made in huge quantities, hopefully you can find the component you need, on eBay. There is a very reputable place in Central FL, I think North of Orlando, I've purchased 2 or 3 used things from them for our Dell Laptops. DiscountedLaptopParts or something like that.

TRY TO BUY FROM A SELLER WHO TESTS THINGS...  

2 or 3 years ago, my wife had issues with the keyboard in the Dell Laptop she was using at the moment.  Possibly I'm using that machine now.  An Enterprise grade machine.  I bought her a Brand New keyboard, from a reputable eBay Seller in PA.  It was worse than the keyboard she had replaced.   Got a credit from that Seller.  Then, I bought a Used one, from a reputable eBay Seller just North of Dallas. They stated in their eBay listing that they TEST things. Presto.  That keyboard works fine.  

If it is a Consumer grade laptop, those are harder to get components for, but you may be lucky. 

Good luck!

P.S.

Dell has a very active forum for customers. If you can't find that component, post in the appropriate Forum and possibly someone can point you to a source for that component.

P.P.S.  

I am assuming that it is not simply the AC adapter. I have purchased several of those from laptopz-outlet on eBay.  They work perfectly.  I am assuming it is where the Cable plugs into the laptop, and that there is an issue at that point and the laptop is not seeing that the charger is plugged in and charging.

re: the bolded, yes. Apparently, according to my dh who looked into it, where the charger plugs into the laptop, it's actually part of the motherboard and so to replace/repair it = replace the whole motherboard. 

The computer is able to run while plugged in, but the battery cannot/will not charge as it doesn't recognize the plug/charger. I don't entirely understand how that is possible, for it to read it enough to power the computer, but not enough to charge the battery, but that's what's going on. 

As DH wants to upgrade the laptop for that son anyway (to better be able to handle games as well as school stuff) and as the cost of the motherboard is not that far off from the cost of the computer....he's just replacing the computer. 

But thank you, the advice may help someone else. 

• Like 2

Dd has an Apple Mac Pro I think. She uses it every day in school so it was worth the money. I'm not sure why she chose that over a Windows laptop but we wanted her to have what she wanted. I honestly can't imagine being in college without a laptop. She can work on school work anywhere on campus, even while in the dining hall. A desktop computer would be limiting I think.

• Like 1

My oldest got laptop for college and then desktop too.  Second I think had a laptop maybe in high school but definitely in college and more than one too.  Third had a desktop for the first three years of high school but also a tablet.  When she started DE in senior year, both she and I got laptops of our own and they are Samsung so windows based for me but dd reconfigured machine to linux .  DH took over the older laptop and it is still working (I think it is at least 7 years old.).  DD still in college has desktop, laptop (Linux), I believe a google tablet, and a smart phone.  Smart phones weren't around when ds started college.  Our family is strictly windows based (or Linux).  We won't pay extra for Apple and I don;'t like neither their exclusivity nor their ease of use (not easy at all).   

Like many other families posting, we are a pretty tech savvy family and we had all kids using computers from a fairly young age.  We were limited in earlier years in how many computers we had due to weight restrictions in our moves.  Since we have made the final move. Dh and I are now able to have our own computers(with two screen monitors ((waiting to be installed for me))  and dd has hers plus all three of us have laptops, phones and tablets. 

• Like 1

Our family is strictly windows based (or Linux).  We won't pay extra for Apple and I don;'t like neither their exclusivity nor their ease of use (not easy at all).   

I used windows computers and laptops for 20+ years before switching to Apple MacBook earlier this year.  I find the Apple soooo much easier to use and I am not a tech savvy person.  

• Like 2