Menu

How do you organize your digital resources?

I'm talking about streamable stuff, as well as downloaded materials. I tend to remember Audible and Great Courses resources, since we have a bunch of those so I'm on there often enough to review my libraries. But random resources I have downloaded in the past or can stream from other sites I tend to just forget all about.

Technically I "have" a process for keeping track of things... I guess I just need to be more faithful about *doing* the process as I acquire things so I can keep things current. But I also just want to think of how to make it all easier to manage!

So... how do y'all do it?

A while ago, I spent some time organizing all my PDFs and such into folders.  They now look like History -- US, History -- World, History -- Medieval, Language Arts -- Audio Books, Language Arts -- Grammar, etc.  Now, new files just get added to the appropriate folder, or I make a new one.  That works for PDFs, audio files, etc.

I use Google Drive. I have a folder for homeschooling, with sub-folders for planning and memory work and record-keeping and curricula, etc. Within "curricula" I have a folder for each subject, within which I put resources, whether PDF curriculum or audio resources, sometimes sorted further into sub-folders (ex: Math Mammoth). I haven't run anywhere near the limit for Drive storage... but then I am only at 4th-ish grade. :)

I use that same system for any resources and record-keeping related to anything that I do, including the adult classes that I teach and home organization. I really like being able to quickly find subcategories, and access it all from multiple devices.

• Like 1

Yes, this is what I do, too. But sometimes I just forget stuff is in the folders. It gets a bit cluttered as the kids get older and I collect more stuff, so then I create subfolders. But it seems like the more levels down I go, the easier it is to forget about things.

Also, I can't figure out how to make this work for things that are streamable with nothing downloaded. How do I remember that I have access to a video course on some random website where I have nothing else, and there is no downloadable component?

I need to figure out how to organize a megalist, I think.

Yes, this is what I do, too. But sometimes I just forget stuff is in the folders. It gets a bit cluttered as the kids get older and I collect more stuff, so then I create subfolders. But it seems like the more levels down I go, the easier it is to forget about things.

Also, I can't figure out how to make this work for things that are streamable with nothing downloaded. How do I remember that I have access to a video course on some random website where I have nothing else, and there is no downloadable component?

I need to figure out how to organize a megalist, I think.

I have a folder in my bookmark list that is named Homeschool.  I then further divided that folder using the same system as I use for my homeschool directory.  Personally, I do it by age, so if I download a science resource meant primarily for elementary, then I file it under Science - Elem.

If I want to save a similar streaming resource then I bookmark that in Science - Elem.  THEN, and this is the important part, I go into the Science - Elem. folder in my homeschool directory and I create an empty folder named something that will remind me about the streaming resource.  So I end up with an empty folder named Interactive Solar System or whatever.

Later when I am looking for astronomy resources, I open that empty folder, realize it is empty and therefore just a reminder, and I know to go to my bookmark list and find the link for the Interactive Solar System.

Wendy

• Like 1