Menu

I figured out why you teach sentence diagramming!!!

I was helping my ds figure out why sentences were wrong on his PSAT study guide.  I actually used sentence diagramming in on one of them to show why the sentence didn't work.  The elusive "WHY" has been answered!  Off to teach grammar and diagramming to the 7th grader!

• Like 18

My oldest DS used diagramming without prompting to decipher the meaning in one of the trickier bits of one of Paul's letters to the churches in Scripture (whew, Paul used a lot of clauses!) That's when I became a sentence diagramming advocate! Lol

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My oldest DS used diagramming without prompting to decipher the meaning in one of the trickier bits of one of Paul's letters to the churches in Scripture (whew, Paul used a lot of clauses!) That's when I became a sentence diagramming advocate! Lol

Christians, especially those using the KJV, are more likely to see the use of diagramming.

Learning English with the Bible

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/composition-and-grammar/ungraded-multi-level-resources-grammar/learning-english-with-the-bible-series

• Like 1

My dd says Paul was a lover of the complex Sentence and hated periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's great!  Some of my kids needed this very specific breakdown, and other didn't.  My dh, who is learning English again after a stroke, can ONLY understand the concept of word order again through diagramming.  It is actually quite fascinating.

• Like 4

Healing from brain damage is fascinating. I have had to do it myself. So much got better, but I am still not the same. Graphics help more than ever. I have trouble multitasking and doing multistep things. I MUST figure things out on paper and not in my head.

I do messy diagrams of Paul. I don't worry about getting it "right" but just unravel it, and map the main parts.

The NIrV Bible uses shorter sentences, and has entirely different punctuation than traditional versions. The NIrV is the easiest to diagram.

The NIrV follows most beginner grammar textbook rules exactly, except for the serial commas. The NIrV does NOT use the final serial comma. If you do not know what I am talking about, google "serial comma" and "Oxford comma".

The NIrV is a huge volume of consistently punctuated text to use as copywork and to diagram and use for all sorts of English assignments.

And Paul doesn't need to be diagrammed to understand him. He got edited! LOL.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 2

Not meaning to hijack, but in what order would you pprefer to use these?

Start with the main textbook and the answer key

https://www.amazon.com/dp/089957565X/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Next do the diagramming. Then punctuation and then composition.

You might want to integrate them a bit. The textbook has two levels. After completing the first level, you can introduce some easy diagramming.