What's with the ads?

Photo

I figured out why you teach sentence diagramming!!!

7 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 bethben

bethben

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2725 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

I was helping my ds figure out why sentences were wrong on his PSAT study guide.  I actually used sentence diagramming in on one of them to show why the sentence didn't work.  The elusive "WHY" has been answered!  Off to teach grammar and diagramming to the 7th grader!

• Rosie_0801, Kinsa, fourisenough and 13 others like this

#2 Lilaclady

Lilaclady

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1814 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

Yippee!!!

#3 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

Yay!  We've found that it helped my kids immensely when breaking down a foreign language translation or a complex sentence. 

• misty.warden likes this

#4 Momto5inIN

Momto5inIN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

My oldest DS used diagramming without prompting to decipher the meaning in one of the trickier bits of one of Paul's letters to the churches in Scripture (whew, Paul used a lot of clauses!) That's when I became a sentence diagramming advocate! Lol

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
  • birchbark and elroisees like this

#5 Hunter

Hunter

hunter of input

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25906 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

My oldest DS used diagramming without prompting to decipher the meaning in one of the trickier bits of one of Paul's letters to the churches in Scripture (whew, Paul used a lot of clauses!) That's when I became a sentence diagramming advocate! Lol

Christians, especially those using the KJV, are more likely to see the use of diagramming.

Learning English with the Bible

http://cathyduffyrev...he-bible-series

• Momto5inIN likes this

#6 fairfarmhand

fairfarmhand

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10233 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

My dd says Paul was a lover of the complex Sentence and hated periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hunter and Momto5inIN like this

#7 J-rap

J-rap

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11269 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

That's great!  Some of my kids needed this very specific breakdown, and other didn't.  My dh, who is learning English again after a stroke, can ONLY understand the concept of word order again through diagramming.  It is actually quite fascinating.

• Rosie_0801, Hunter, mamaraby and 1 other like this

#8 Hunter

Hunter

hunter of input

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25906 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Healing from brain damage is fascinating. I have had to do it myself. So much got better, but I am still not the same. Graphics help more than ever. I have trouble multitasking and doing multistep things. I MUST figure things out on paper and not in my head.

I do messy diagrams of Paul. I don't worry about getting it "right" but just unravel it, and map the main parts.

The NIrV Bible uses shorter sentences, and has entirely different punctuation than traditional versions. The NIrV is the easiest to diagram.

The NIrV follows most beginner grammar textbook rules exactly, except for the serial commas. The NIrV does NOT use the final serial comma. If you do not know what I am talking about, google "serial comma" and "Oxford comma".

The NIrV is a huge volume of consistently punctuated text to use as copywork and to diagram and use for all sorts of English assignments.

And Paul doesn't need to be diagrammed to understand him. He got edited! LOL.

Edited by Hunter, Yesterday, 06:04 PM.

• J-rap likes this