Menu

repeating yourself on the common app when all the info is in the school profile

lewelma

I'm looking at the printout of my part of the Common App from 2014.  There is a part in the homeschool section called "additional detail" which I think asked about why we homeschooled.  I wrote a short paragraph that summarized one part of my school profile and then I said "Please see the school profile, transcript, and course descriptions for more detailed information."

Another section was "grading scale."  I said "Home-based coursework was graded according to the grading scale indicated on the transcript (94-100 = A, 90-93 = A-, 87-89 = B+ etc).  The GPA is unweighted and was calculated on a 4 point scale.  Please see the school profile and transcript for more detailed information.

The "outside evaluation" section was where they wanted course descriptions for outside classes.  I put those descriptions in this space on the Common App.  My course description document only contained descriptions for the courses done at home.  So there was no repetition there.

• Like 1

whole thing is very confusing as ds has a NZ high school diploma from 2016 but still attends a registered school, while concurrently homeschooling. I've been told that they will read everything holistically, but it is seriously hard to figure out how to fill out the dumb forms. 

• Like 1

whole thing is very confusing as ds has a NZ high school diploma from 2016 but still attends a registered school, while concurrently homeschooling. I've been told that they will read everything holistically, but it is seriously hard to figure out how to fill out the dumb forms.

We have a somewhat similar situation in that the dual enrollment associates my daughter is likely to get is also an alternative state high school diploma. But the college registers one quarter at a time, so I can't guarantee she will get all the classes she needs.

My school profile says DD may or may not get a state diploma, but she is getting a homeschool high school diploma either way. Everywhere else I treat it as she is getting a home school diploma.

Decide what you want the main takeaway to be for the application reader, and use that as your point of view in most cases. Then in one spot, maybe the school profile, explain all the strange details in context.

• Like 1