Menu

Online Math Options After Saxon

SpurgeonSpooner

My oldest son is 7, almost 8, and we're in his 4th year of homeschooling. He's relatively advanced---reading proficiently with good retention. He generally seems to be excelling in this "upper grammar" stage of his education, and typically is easy to keep motivated.

We've been using Saxon Math from the beginning, and it's been very good. I like the layout and repetition. Math is not my strength, nor something I enjoy, but we've been successful so far. We're finishing Saxon 3, and will be starting Saxon 5/4 soon.

Being on the cusp of the new book, I took some time this morning to browse through it, and I've decided our strategy is going to need to change after book 5/4. Our family size is going to be growing significantly in the next year, as will the number of children I'm schooling, and for our family's good, I'd like to try something more "self-taught," perhaps even an online computer-based curriculum for him.

What good options are out there for upper grammar students finishing Saxon 5/4? Again, I think he would do fine with something computer based, and self-paced.

Edited by SpurgeonSpooner

I used Saxon Teacher for one of mine and she was able to do it completely independently. If Saxon works for you, try the video options before switching. The teacher explains each lesson , and I had dd take notes. Then when we corrected her problems at the end, she could watch the explanation of anything she got wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely agree with the switch to Derek Owens (did that with my dd and will do it with the other when she gets there), but that won’t be until the student completes 7/6. OP still has two years to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk