Menu

Spanish for between DE Spanish 1 and 2?

We're looking at course options for DD for next semester, and I'm not sure DE Spanish 2 will fit on the time available. She is doing a double major and starting while also completing high school credits, so we have a lot of juggling to do to check boxes in three areas in the correct order. She'll likely do Spanish 1-4 at the CC, but has several years to do it, so I'm not worried about her not completing the sequence, but I also don't want her to forget over a gap-this has been an intensive course with a lot of vocabulary and grammar in a short time, which tends to lead to cram and forget, not retain. The ideal would really allow her to consolidate what she's learned so far and build on it, and have her better prepared for the rest of the sequence. Ideas?

My son appreciated Practice Makes Perfect Workbooks, which he used to review over the summer each year so that he could pass the high school Regents exam (its no longer given as a regents but it is as a local) . He's not an auditory learner...and they helped him solidify the three high school years.  After a three year gap, he used the break before taking his college Spanish course to review with textbook publisher's CD practice material then selected grammar points with studyspanish.com. Listening practice was via Destinos at Annenberg website.  Duolingo is good also for listening and spelling, but its not sequenced with high school topics -- textbook publisher CD was better as it had spoken vocab in the dictioinary if he didn't have a native spanish speaking friend available. I would also suggest reading some of the leveled readers if you have friends that can loan you some from the high school material.

Edited by Heigh Ho

A tutor via 121Spanish or italki?  Homeschool Spanish Academy (Spanish.Academy) for systematic grammar (wouldn't move very fast compared to what she was used to)? I believe italki would be the most free-form & HSA would be the most rigid.

• Like 2

She might also enjoy occasional viewing of Mi Vida Loca from BBC, or Desitnos from Annenberg. Both are video series set up to teach/review the basics. We never got into Destinos, but Mi Vida Loca has a few activites with each episode.

If she covered past tense in Spanish 1 another good exercise is reading something like a Frog and Toad book (Sapo y Sepo) and making a vocabulary list for everything she has to look up.

• Like 1

Well, we're super happy with Duolingo for finetuning/reviewing Spanish for my dd (who is probably around Spanish 3/4 level in high school). We're also using iTalki for weekly live lessons -- LOVE it. There's also Destinos, which is a Spanish TV show for learning . . .

https://learner.org/series/destinos/

What we're doing this year is dd just does about an hour of Spanish a day. Either an iTalki lesson or "60 points" (about an hour work) on Duolingo . . . or watch an episode or two of Desitnos +/- doing the exercises if they seem helpful. (Destinos is very easy for her, but still, it's a great review and all aural which is awesome.)

iTalki can be done for about 10/hr lesson. Duolingo and Destinos are free. There are other options out there, but those are my picks for a review/fine tune semester or year. 

Next year, we'll likely do something more formal for Spanish, but I'll have to find a good online course or maybe just have her go to our local college. Or maybe she'll go ahead and CLEP out this spring and then move on to another language (which she's interested in, but really doesn't have time for multiple foreign languages).

• Like 1