Menu

News:Fires force evacuations in Lake, Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino Counties. (Update:all fires 100 % contained)

Arcadia

More evacuations just announced in Bennett Valley.

Pacific Heights is under evacuation as well.

“4:50 p.m.: More evacuations near Santa Rosa: Officials are evacuating an area called Pacific Heights just north of Santa Rosa. The latest evacuations are near where people were ordered to leave a short time ago near Shiloh Ranch Regional Park

4:20 p.m.: Fires near Santa Rosa: A fire is burning south of Shiloh Ranch Regional Park just north of Santa Rosa, Sonoma County sheriff’s officials say. People in the area of Faught and Montebello roads are being evacuated. Separately, evacuations also are under way near the Bennett Valley Golf Course southeast of Santa Rosa.“

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Live-updates-15-dead-in-Wine-Country-fires-as-12268124.php

“Tuesday October 10th, 2017 :: 04:43 p.m. PDT

Advisory

Pacific Heights behind Molsberrys being evacuated

Pacific Heights neighborhood behind Molsbery's Market in Larkfield just ordered evacuated.â€

http://www.nixle.us/9MMF3

ETA:

“Tuesday October 10th, 2017 :: 04:46 p.m. PDT

Advisory

Ida Clayton area of Geyserville ordered evacuations

Ida Clayton Rd from Hwy 128 to the county line has been ordered to evacuate due to spreading fire northbound.â€

ETA:

“5:20 p.m. Miscommunication on evacuations: The Pacific Heights area just north of Santa Rosa is not under evacuation, according to the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office. The initial evacuation order was a “miscommunication,†they said in a statement.â€

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Live-updates-15-dead-in-Wine-Country-fires-as-12268124.php

Edited by Arcadia

I am sorry. The news from Coffey Park is not good. A whole neighborhood has burnt to the ground and some cell phones are still not working. Your friend may not be able to communicate. Evidently, some carriers have reestablished lines but as of yesterday evening MIL's cell was not working.

Your friends were likely evacuated and are hopefully safe in a hotel or shelter.

Kron4 is showing homes in Oakmont on fire right now. :-(

• Like 1

The immediate evacuation order went out at 2:04pm :( The area was on evacuation orders earlier so hopefully everyone managed to evacuate before the emergency evacuation order went out.

“Santa Rosa Police Department

Tuesday October 10th, 2017 :: 02:04 p.m. PDT

Alert

#NunsFire is rapidly approaching Oakmont. Oakmont is still under mandatory evacuation - all residents must leave now!â€

http://www.nixle.us/alert/6200223/

Solano County is now included in the state of emergency.

“6:00 p.m.: Emergency declaration declared in Solano: Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency in Solano County because the Atlas Fire has damaged infrastructure and is threatening homes.

5:35 p.m. Santa Rosa danger: Fire is threatening the Annadel Heights area in eastern Santa Rosa. Residents in the area bordered on the north by Parktrail Drive and on the west by Summerfield Road should evacuate immediately, the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office says.

5:20 p.m. Miscommunication on evacuations: The Pacific Heights area just north of Santa Rosa is not under evacuation, according to the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office. The initial evacuation order was a “miscommunication,†they said in a statement.

4:55 p.m.: Solano County evacuations: Officials report that the the Atlas Fire has crested the ridge at Twin Sisters Road in Solano County on Tuesday afternoon. Sheriff’s deputies are “going door-to-door on Twin Sisters Road, reverifying any remaining inhabitants and urging them to leave immediately.â€â€

Dh and I are on their website but have not found anything about Oakmont.

Maybe only on TV? We only get local channels from SAC and they are covering it pretty good but have not heard details about this specific area.

Dh and I are on their website but have not found anything about Oakmont.

Maybe only on TV? We only get local channels from SAC and they are covering it pretty good but have not heard details about this specific area.

The 5pm video is showing the Oakmont retirement community with the fire approaching.

http://kron4.com/2017/10/10/nuns-fire-rapidly-approaching-oakmont/

Edited by Arcadia

MIL and husband are waiting to hear if their home survived. The Annadel fire reached over into Oakmont and SIL said the fire is on their street.

It's just "stuff" but can you imagine losing everything except the clothes on your back and what is in your suitcase?

Hurricane Katrina survivor.  Did just that - three days of clothing, some books, some toys, pictures.

I learned to take the pictures because of CA fire victims.

I hope they don't have to have that feeling.  But on the other hand it was freeing to know I wasn't weighed down by anything.

To this day I still have to think about whether I still own something or lost it in Katrina.

• Like 3

I was born in Santa Rosa. My dad and stepmom still live in Healdsburg, where I was raised, mostly. I went to school in Cloverdale, where they taught.

Parents are ok for now. Other friends are not so lucky. One in Windsor is debating whether to leave. It's so scary!! I remember growing up with the fear of fire, but only remember a time or two when evacuation was even a remote possibility.

My parents have friends who have already lost their homes, and a classmate also has. Another classmate is a nurse at one of the evacuated hospitals.

• Like 1

“PG&E power lines linked to wine country fires

As the first reports came in Sunday night of numerous fires that would grow into one of the most destructive wildfire disasters in California history, emergency dispatchers in Sonoma County received multiple calls of power lines falling down and electrical transformers exploding.

In all, according to a review of emergency radio traffic by the Bay Area News Group, Sonoma County dispatchers sent out fire crews to at least 10 different locations across the county over a 90-minute period starting at 9:22 pm to respond to 911 calls and other reports of sparking wires and problems with the county’s electrical system amid high winds.

But the reports of the power equipment failures began to turn the spotlight on PG&E, the giant San Francisco-based utility, raising questions about how well it maintained its equipment in the area and whether it adequately cut back trees from power lines to reduce fire risk — as required by state law.

PG&E officials issued a statement Tuesday evening, acknowledging the equipment troubles even as a company spokesman called the questions about maintenance “highly speculative.â€

In April, the state Public Utilities Commission fined PG&E $8.3 million for failing to maintain a power line that sparked the Butte Fire in Amador County in September 2015. That fire burned for 22 days, killing two people, destroying 549 homes and charring 70,868 acres.“

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/10/pge-power-lines-linked-to-wine-country-fires/

For Mendocino County

“Mendocino County town all but cut off from outside world

The string of fires that erupted across the North Bay late Sunday knocked out 77 cell phone towers throughout the region, state Sen. Mike McGuire, D-Healdsburg, said Tuesday after meeting with utility executives and emergency officials. Thirty-five of those were running Tuesday morning, but in Willits, the library proved to be the only place where residents could get a wireless phone or Internet connection.

They milled about outside the small brick building, tapping messages on their phones and laptops.

Landline phones weren’t much help. Allman said the telephone cable that connected Willits to other communities wasn’t working — perhaps the fault of a road crew digging into it, he said, or perhaps due to copper thieves. Residents of this town of 5,000 could call each other, but no one in the outside world. The damaged cable also meant that businesses couldn’t process credit or debit cards.

By day’s end, the communications blackout was starting to ease. AT&T brought in two portable cell phone towers. People with dish television still had service, although it didn’t always work.

“It’s like the old days, only worse,†Rede said. “Because then, we at least had landline service. This is very weird.â€â€œ

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Three-dead-in-Mendocino-County-wildfire-12267006.php

ETA:

Santa Rosa city evacuation area map https://srcity.org/DocumentCenter/View/17806

Edited by Arcadia

Saint Helena city update

“***EMERGENCY FIRE INFORMATION*** - The County of Napa is reporting one of the fires in Sonoma County has jumped into Napa County near Mt. Veeder approximately 10 miles south of St. Helena. Mandatory evacuations have been issued in the area.

For Immediate Release

October 10, 2017 [6:56 PM]

St. Helena, CA - The County of Napa is reporting one of the fires in Sonoma County has jumped into Napa County near Mt. Veeder approximately 10 miles south of St. Helena. Mandatory evacuations have been issued in the area.

Even though all current fires are approximately 10 miles away from St. Helena, the community is expected to be entering a critical wind/weather event anticipated to begin tomorrow morning around 9:00 a.m. Winds are predicted to be volatile with gusts to more than 30 mph.

All residents are encouraged to pack a “Ready-to-go Bag†with all essential papers and medicines and be prepared to leave on short notice.â€

http://ci.st-helena.ca.us/administration/page/emergency-fire-information-county-napa-reporting-one-fires-sonoma-county-has

ETA:

“Update: Veterans Home starts, then scales back evacuation of Yountville grounds

Updated at 10:55 p.m. — YOUNTVILLE — The Veterans Home of California, the state’s largest home for retired military members and their spouses, began an evacuation of residents its staff Tuesday night after wildfires edged closer to Yountville — only to have most of them brought back within hours.

However, the plan changed course later in the night, and the state Department of Veterans Affairs, which operates the facility, announced on Twitter that only those in its skilled nursing facility would remain off campus as a precaution.

"At this time, the Yountville Veterans Home is not in danger," CalVet said in a tweet posted at 10:30 p.m. "... No general evacuation is underway, but the Home is coordinating closely with local and state officials to be prepared should conditions change.

Earlier at the Veterans Home, Abraham Stewart, an incident commander at the Veterans Home, said he and home staff were notified at 3 p.m. by the state Office of Emergency Services of the possible need to clear out the premises because the age and physical frailty of many of its residents would make a quick flight from danger difficult.“

http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/veterans-home-residents-evacuated-as-fires-edge-closer-to-yountville/article_3163017e-2858-58f3-bb91-73cae19fe73b.html

Edited by Arcadia

Not sure if Arcadia already posted some of this info.

Evacuations in this area have been ordered or are happening now.

Santa Rosa and surrounding area: Guerneville Road/Steele Lane from the Mendocino Avenue corridor to Fulton Road; area north of Hopper Avenue between Highway 101 and Coffey Lane; area east of Fulton Road between Guerneville and River roads; Fountaingrove/Skyfarm/Montecito Heights area; Porter Creek, Petrified Forest, Franz Valley and Mountain Home Ranch roads; Highway 128 from Tubbs Lane west to Santa Rosa; Rincon Valley north of Montecito Boulevard from Brush Creek Road to the eastern city limits; Cross Creek Road; Sky Farm Drive; St. Andrews Drive; Larkfield unincorporated area north of Santa Rosa.

Evacuation centers: Finley Center at West College Avenue and Stony Point Road in Santa Rosa; Petaluma Community Center at 320 North McDowell Blvd.; Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial Building, 1351 Maple Ave. Large animals can be taken to the Santa Rosa Fairgrounds, 1350 Bennett Valley Road.

Ugh. My folks are getting squeezed.

Last I heard they are okay but if the winds shift it could get bad fast. There aren't many roads out that aren't already closed, or would close if it changes direction.

Thanks to everyone for the updates.

Can't they leave?  As a precaution?  The winds are supposed to be really bad again for a few days.  I sure wouldn't want to risk getting trapped.

• Like 1

We lived in Marin County(in San Anselmo) for 2 years, from 2006-2008. It was our last two years in the Air Force, before my husband retired. We loved it there, and of course, explored the surrounding counties on the weekends. It's all so beautiful.

We are praying for you all. Just so sad.

Any updates about the Bennet Valley would be appreciated. I don’t want to pester my friend too much - she has enough on her mind :(

I am using the evacuation notices to keep track, but sometimes it is hard since don not know all the street names.

Edited by Penguin

Sonoma County update as of October 11, 2017 12:55 AM

“New Mandatory Evacuations - Agua Caliente

Moon Mountain Road

Mission Way

London Way

Martin Road

Cavedale Road

Adobe Way

New Mandatory Evacuations - Annadel Heights

Bordered north by Parktrail Drive and west by Summerfield Road

New Mandatory Evacuations - Geyserville

Nutter Road

Sellers Road

River Road

Fay Ranch Road

Ridge Oaks Road

Fox Ridge Road

Vineyard Road

Woodridge Road

Deerpath Drive

Ram Hill Road

Rockmouth Road

Colony Road

Lakewood Lane

Highway 128 - Every residence between 1922 Hwy 128 and the Russian River

Porter Creek Road

New Advisory Evacuations - Geyserville

Downtown Geyserville

Palomino Road

Asti Ridge Road

Highland Ranch Roadâ€

http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/Public-Safety/Santa-Rosa-Fire-Evacuations/

• Like 1

Any updates about the Bennet Valley would be appreciated. I don’t want to pester my friend too much - she has enough on her mind :(

No change in evacuation area so far. Today is another Red Flag warning day. The winds are expected to be strong today in the fire zone areas.

“Previously Posted Evacuation Areas

The following areas remain under mandatory evacuation orders unless otherwise indicated.

Bennett Valley Mandatory Evacuations

East of Bennett Valley Golf Course - west of Annadel State Park

Bennett Ridge Road

Sonoma Mountain Road

Enterprise Road“

http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/Public-Safety/Santa-Rosa-Fire-Evacuations/

The smoke is really starting to wear on me. I'm going to buy some masks today.

The recommendation on many news website is to get the N95 masks.

“Instead look for a mask with a particulate respirator. These are labeled NIOSH-approved, marked N95 or N100 (also P100), and come with two straps that fit around your headâ€

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Will-your-face-mask-protect-you-from-wildfire-12267359.php

ETA:

Price gouging alert is on

“A price-gouging alert was issued Monday by the California attorney general to remind residents and business owners that California law prohibits price gouging during a state of emergency, the attorney general's office said.

California's price-gouging law prohibits many different businesses from charging more than 10 percent than they were before the state or local emergency was declared.“

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/California-Attorney-General-Issued-Price-Gouging-Alert-in-Wake-of-Devastating-Wildfires-450217093.html

Edited by Arcadia

I wonder whether they really understand how fast this is moving???

If maybe they don't have power they might not have grasped this.

No power, no internet, no landline and until yesterday no cell phone.

But lots of stubbornness, denial and insistence that everything's just fine (remarkably, I've been informed even the air quality is just fine! Somehow I can't quite believe the validity, but that's what I'm up against). There's no use in me arguing or making suggestions; caring is simply a weakness that deserves to be exploited. Sigh.

Thanks for the concern. :)

Good morning, everyone. We're fine this morning. There were evacuations in Geyserville (north of us) due to the Pocket Fire last night, and people were pretty on edge. That fire is a scary wildland fire, and is threatening homes and ranches, but is unlikely to threaten us here in Healdsburg. Geyserville is under an evacuation watch.

The Tubbs fire is still going strong to the southeast. There is fire on the outskirts of Windsor (town to the south, where Dh works) but it is not currently threatening residences.

The big challenge is the winds, which are slated to pick up to Red Flag levels again today and tomorrow. That adds a lot of uncertainty and danger to the whole situation.

• Like 7

The recommendation on many news website is to get the N95 masks.

“Instead look for a mask with a particulate respirator. These are labeled NIOSH-approved, marked N95 or N100 (also P100), and come with two straps that fit around your headâ€

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Will-your-face-mask-protect-you-from-wildfire-12267359.php

fwiw, we had huge air quality problems in BC this summer with our forest fires and the prevailing winds dumped much smoke into Metro Vancouver itself raising our air well into dangerous levels. (& beyond dangerous. Several times the ratings exceeded the scale..) 

the recommendations in BC were against N95s in general because usually you don't get a 100% seal unless you've gone through proper fit testing (like health care workers have to)  AND because you breathe harder against a mask. You have to inhale more forcefully against the mask resistance and the consensus was that people were drawing smoke particulate deeper into their lungs rather than having it get stuck in the bronchials where it will cause irritation and a cough. 

not saying to ignore your local health advisories but consider your unique health status and maybe check with your hcp about whether a mask is a good idea or might make things worse for you. 

here, overall recommendations were to 

change filters and run all: air purifiers, air conditioners, furnaces or go to air conditioned places such as shopping malls or movie theaters.

Edited by hornblower

MEmama, I hope your parents change their minds and leave.

mom2scouts, I'm sorry about your friend's home. It sounds so cliche to say at least she and her family are okay, but it's really true. We heard so often during evacuation orders for Hurricane Irma, "things can be replaced, people cannot".

Rose -  :grouphug:  I hope the winds keep it away from you.

I read earlier this morning about a 100 year old man and his 98 yo wife who died in the fire. Their caregiver tried but couldn't get them out. Apparently a good number of senior citizens are finding it hard to evacuate without help.  :crying:

• Like 1

I read earlier this morning about a 100 year old man and his 98 yo wife who died in the fire. Their caregiver tried but couldn't get them out. Apparently a good number of senior citizens are finding it hard to evacuate without help. :crying:

The firefighters tried to get senior citizens out but the fire was really too fast. A wheelchair bound lady with spina bifida died while her dad who was caring for her is hospitalized with bad burns :(

This Sonoma State University’s president’s account showed how fast and scary it was.

“Patrick McCallum didn’t even have time to grab his glasses when his wife, Sonoma State University President Judy Sakaki, ran into their room screaming that the house was on fire.

He pulled on some boxer shorts as his wife grabbed a robe, and they ran for their lives.

“Outside, our yard, our porch and every house was ablaze,†McCallum said. “It was an inferno all around us.â€

Barefoot, he and his wife walked out into the street as flames licked them on either side, and masses of sparks whipped to and fro. Their feet blistered from the scorching pavement.

After walking several hundred feet, they began to question whether they were done for, when suddenly, among the dark smoke obscuring everything around them, lights emerged.

It was a Santa Rosa firefighter, taking a final pass through the neighborhood. He picked them up after they waved him down, and drove them to safety.

“Everywhere we drove, every house was in flames,†McCallum said. “In our minds, we thought everyone was dead.â€

At the evacuation shelter, paramedics treated the couple for minor burns to their feet as they sat, barely clothed, among other evacuees. They learned their neighbors had been told to evacuate hours before the fire reached their home. McCallum said he doesn’t know why they didn’t get any alert.

McCallum, meanwhile, has found the good in the whole ordeal.

“We have each other - that’s the most important part,†he said. “We’re mad in love with each other already, but an experience like this even makes us closer.â€â€œ

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Sonoma-State-president-husband-describe-12268258.php

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 4

MEmama, I hope your parents change their minds and leave.

mom2scouts, I'm sorry about your friend's home. It sounds so cliche to say at least she and her family are okay, but it's really true. We heard so often during evacuation orders for Hurricane Irma, "things can be replaced, people cannot".

Rose - :grouphug: I hope the winds keep it away from you.

I read earlier this morning about a 100 year old man and his 98 yo wife who died in the fire. Their caregiver tried but couldn't get them out. Apparently a good number of senior citizens are finding it hard to evacuate without help. :crying:

Yes, I saw their son on the news. I was thankful that he seemed sympathetic to the awful choice the caregiver had to make.

I also saw a memorial to a wheelchair bound woman on FB.

• Like 1

The California Academy of Sciences is giving free admission this week to anyone affected by the fires who needs a smoke-free place to hang out. You just need a DL to show residency in a county that is burning. I am miles away in the valley and the smoke is horrendous. I can't imagine how it must be closer to the devastation.

• Like 1

The California Academy of Sciences is giving free admission this week to anyone affected by the fires who needs a smoke-free place to hang out. You just need a DL to show residency in a county that is burning.

SF libraries are available for shelter in place.

“UPDATE: People in San Francisco can go to the following San Francisco Public Libraries to find respite from the poor air quality caused by the North Bay fires. These locations have air filters:

San Francisco Main Library, 100 Larkin St., 9:00 am to 8:00 pm

Chinatown Branch Library, 1135 Powell Street, 10:00 am to 9:00 pm

Mission Bay Branch Library, 960 Fourth Street, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm

Glen Park Branch Libary, 2825 Diamond Street, 10:00 am to 6:00 pmâ€

http://sfdem.org/node/1504

ETA:

I’m near to Alviso and we have been spared the smog so far.

Edited by Arcadia

We are evacuated but our house is still standing ... for now. Son works at a local camp and after one night at shelter they offered staff families a place to stay. Most of those here lost everything...even shoes. Have seen so much generosity. Two major hospitals in santa rosa had to be evacuated. Both suffered damage. The local catholic high school burned. I think thats been on the news. Several of the families in our ahg troop lost all. Ahg national will be replacing. Several families in out co-op too. We will prpbably have a local donation drive once we have a list of what they need. Pls. Keep praying. We are blessed to see so much generosity but they are only just starting to fight the fires so there may be more loss. Its very close to our neighborhood. Pray for low winds cool temps and fog to roll in!

• Like 4

We are evacuated but our house is still standing ... for now. Son works at a local camp and after one night at shelter they offered staff families a place to stay. Most of those here lost everything...even shoes. Have seen so much generosity. Two major hospitals in santa rosa had to be evacuated. Both suffered damage. The local catholic high school burned. I think thats been on the news. Several of the families in our ahg troop lost all. Ahg national will be replacing. Several families in out co-op too. We will prpbably have a local donation drive once we have a list of what they need. Pls. Keep praying. We are blessed to see so much generosity but they are only just starting to fight the fires so there may be more loss. Its very close to our neighborhood. Pray for low winds cool temps and fog to roll in!

Praying for your family and all those affected!

Edited by Ms.Ivy

Pray for low winds cool temps and fog to roll in!

It is chilly and foggy this morning compared to previous days. Hopefully chilly low winds prevail today.

Glad your family has a safe place to shelter. Read that hotels in Mendocino are full and people evacuating from Santa Rosa had to head further north.

I am using the evacuation notices to keep track, but sometimes it is hard since don not know all the street names.

SIL had to evacuate her mother from Evergreen Rd in Bennet Valley. The fire raging in Annadel is spreading in two directions.

If you know their zip code, text it to 888777. You should get an update from Nixle if their system is not completely overloaded.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

No power, no internet, no landline and until yesterday no cell phone.

But lots of stubbornness, denial and insistence that everything's just fine (remarkably, I've been informed even the air quality is just fine! Somehow I can't quite believe the validity, but that's what I'm up against). There's no use in me arguing or making suggestions; caring is simply a weakness that deserves to be exploited. Sigh.

Thanks for the concern. :)

I am so sorry. You must be so worried about them. For some people, complete denial is the only way they can bear it.

• Like 2

:grouphug:  I was wondering how you guys were doing. I hope your neighborhood stays safe.

Keep Mendocino County in your thoughts and prayers. They are isolated by the fire.

“Cell service is out in much of the area, leaving people feeling cut off..

The fire consumed the Laughlin repeater, the town’s main channel for communication. It caught fire not just once, but twice.

People were left without the ability to call local numbers from landlines or even dial 911. Desperate for information, they packed into the community library to listen and demand some answers from authorities.

The library is also the only location in the area with wifi.

ATMs aren’t working, gas is running low, water in stores is scarce and people here are growing anxious.

If evacuation orders are put in place that news has to be delivered on foot and residents worry they could end up trapped.

“They said if we’re going to evacuate they’re going to have bull horns, walk down the street and bang on the doors at the same time, because how else are you going to communicate with people?†said Hoefer.â€

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/10/10/anxious-mendocino-county-residents-feeling-cut-off-by-redwood-complex-fire/

““This is scary now,†says Cindi Smith, who manages the Inn at Newport Ranch. “I went to Safeway and it was crazy. No bread. No milk. There was one piece of broccoli.â€

Like many hotel managers on the coast, she is having to turn away folks fleeing from the fires.

One woman who fled from Redwood Valley was embarrassed to be taking a sleeping bag and a scooter for her daughter.

“Tears in her eyes, she added, “people around here pour everything into the harvest. The harvest pays for the whole year. If we lose that, I don’t know what will happen.

“Redwood Valley is just gone.â€â€

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/10/mendocino-county-fire-people-here-are-suffering-too/

If you know their zip code, text it to 888777. You should get an update from Nixle if their system is not completely overloaded.

I’m using Nixle from their website which isn’t updated fast, there is a lag.

• Like 1

So we're evacuated. My Dd is near the Anaheim hills fire...inside with her inhaler in her hand. Bad smoke and she could see the flames yesterday. My brother is outside of grass valley with fire three m. Away. Away and no power or water but housing fire evacuees and their pets anyway. Pls.pray winds will drop and stay calm!!!

• Like 1

The number of missing persons is now 560 and 22 wildfires are burning in that region :(

“10:20 a.m. California Highway Patrol rescues more than 50 from Napa County wildfires: CHP officers flying above the burning region have saved more than 50 people off mountain tops in Napa County as four wildfires blacken the area, Cmdr. Chris Childs of CHP Napa said at a Wednesday morning news conference.

Tens and thousands of acres in Napa County have been burned as four fires devastate the region: the Atlas Peak Fire, Tubbs Fire, Partrick Fire and Nuns Fire, officials said.

9:45 a.m. Number of people missing rises to more than 500 in Sonoma County: As thousands evacuate and broken cell towers inhibit communication, 670 people have been reported missing in Sonoma County wildfires, Sheriff Rob Giordano said. Of those reported missing, 110 people have been found safe, he said.â€

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Live-updates-Gusts-expected-to-fuel-Wine-Country-12269146.php

“9:30 a.m.

A California fire official says at least 3,500 homes and businesses have been destroyed by wildfires burning in Northern California wine country.

California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokesman Daniel Berlant says fire activity increased significantly overnight, destroying more buildings and leading to new mandatory evacuations in several areas.

Berlant said Wednesday that 22 wildfires are burning in Northern California, up from 17 on Tuesday.

Officials in Napa County say almost half of the population of Calistoga, a town of 5,000 people, has been ordered to evacuate. New evacuation orders are also in place for Green Valley in Solano County.

After a day of cooler weather and calmer winds, officials say low moisture and dangerous gusty winds will return to the region Wednesday afternoon, complicating firefighters’ efforts.â€

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/11/the-latest-california-wildfire-grows-prompting-evacuations/

A pictorial summary with map (infographic) http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/66/51/33/14325501/3/2000x2000.jpg

ETA:

Death toll is now 21 as of 12:45 pm news update

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Live-updates-Gusts-expected-to-fuel-Wine-Country-12269146.php

ETA:

Good news.

“OCTOBER 11, 2017 11:19 AM

The museum honoring legendary “Peanuts†cartoonist Charles M. Schulz remains safe from the wildfires consuming Wine Country, a spokeswoman confirmed Wednesday.

The Charles M. Schulz Museum sits near the center of Santa Rosa, the city most heavily impacted by the 17 fires raging through Northern California. It is located about two miles south of the Coffey Park neighborhood that was decimated early Monday after flames jumped Highway 101.

The museum was still in the southern edge of a Santa Rosa evacuation zone and had no power, but was otherwise safe as of 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, said Marketing Director Tracey Pugh.â€

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article178281236.html

Edited by Arcadia