Menu

News:Fires force evacuations in Lake, Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino Counties. (Update:all fires 100 % contained)

Arcadia

“The Tubbs Fire in Santa Rosa has now burned 20,000 acres and is at zero containment.

The fires have forced the closure of all public schools in Santa Rosa and Calistoga today.

One of the fires has triggered the evacuation of Kaiser Permanente in Santa Rosa. Sutter Hospital in Santa Rosa is also under evacuation orders.

Fires in Mendocino County have triggered the closure of Redwood Valley and School Way from Hwy 101. Evacuations have been ordered along East Road, West Road, Tomki Road to Canyon Road in Willits, Golden Rule subdivision and Reeves Canyon.

The fire has crossed Highway 101 in Santa Rosa and ignited structures west of the freeway in the area of Kohl's Department Store on Hopper Avenue. Highway 101 has been shut down at Bicentennial. Residents and businesses should evacuate immediately in the areas of Cross Creek Road, Sky Farm Drive, Saint Andrews Drive, all residences north Fountaingrove Parkway and Montecito Heights. The fire is believed to have begun late Sunday night near Highway 128 in Napa County and progressed towards Santa Rosa city limits.

Mandatory evacuations are in place for Partrick Rd in Napa County. They have also been ordered in the North Bay for Porter Creek, Petrified Forest, Franz Valley and Mountain Home Ranch Rd.â€

http://abc7news.com/list-fire-evacuations-centers-opened-in-north-bay/2511293/2510205/

FULL LIST: Evacuation centers open for North Bay fire victims http://abc7news.com/list-fire-evacuations-centers-opened-in-north-bay/2511293/?sf120371416=1

ETA:

FULL LIST: North Bay fire evacuation centers, road closures, school closures http://abc7news.com/full-list-north-bay-fires-prompt-evacuations-road-closures/2511293/

ETA:

October 18th update puts death toll at 42.

“CENTRAL LNU COMPLEX (3 fires)

In unified command with Santa Rosa Fire Department & Sonoma County Sheriff

CAL FIRE Incident Management Team assigned

23 civilian fatalities & 1 private water tender operator

Tubbs Fire, Sonoma and Napa Counties

Between Calistoga and Santa Rosa

36,432 acres, 91% contained

Significant number of structures destroyed

Pocket Fire, Sonoma County

North of Geyserville

12,430 acres, 63% contained

Nuns Fire, Sonoma County

East of Hwy 12 from east Santa Rosa to east of Sonoma

54,423 acres, 80% contained

The Oakmont Fire burned into the Nuns Fire overnight.

SOUTHERN LNU COMPLEX (1 fire)

Atlas Fire, Napa & Solano Counties

South of Lake Berryessa and northeast of Napa

51,064 acres, 83% contained

6 civilian fatalities

Significant structures destroyed

MENDOCINO-LAKE COMPLEX (2 fires)

Redwood Valley, Mendocino County (more info…)

North of Hwy 20 in Potter Valley and Redwood Valley

35,800 acres, 75% contained

8 civilian fatalities

Significant structures destroyedâ€

http://calfire.ca.gov/communications/communications_StatewideFireSummary

Edited by Arcadia in CA
  • Like 2

We are pretty far away, but the haze & smell are thick in the air & my adult onset asthma husband is wheezing in bed with his inhaler.

No stench so far but closing windows just in case. My friend in Sunnyvale could smell it. There are four fires going on and Santa Rosa is seeking volunteers for the evacuation centers. Their fire department is overwhelmed right now :(

“The rest of the Bay Area, stretching as far south as Santa Cruz, shared in the experience vicariously as thick smoke blotted out the morning sky and left an acrid stench across the nine-county region.

Cal Fire crews were on scene for at least four blazes: The 20,000-acre Tubbs Fire in Napa County, the 300-acre Nuns Fire north of Glen Ellen, the 100-acre Patrick Fire west of Napa and the Atlas Fire, which had burned 5,000 acres off of Atlas Peak Road south of Lake Berryessa.“

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/09/wildfires-force-evacuations-in-sonoma-county/

“"Volunteers are needed to assist fire evacuees at Elsie Allan High School and Cook Middle School immediately to assist with check-in and supply distribution and other activities as needed. Both schools are opening as emergency shelter locations."

The post goes on: "Red Cross has exhausted their volunteer pool and many additional hands are now needed during this emergency."

The Red Cross included a phone number on the Facebook page but currently doesn't have the resources to manage the line and asks that people don't call it. â€

http://m.sfgate.com/local/article/Santa-Rosa-fire-needs-volunteers-evacuations-help-12263388.php

• Like 1

We are right in the middle of it - fires/evacuations to the south, north and east. So far we are ok but the wind is insane and if it shifts . . . I'm not sure where we would go. So much of Santa Rosa has burned. Friends have been evacuated. The sky is red. It's pretty frightening.

:grouphug:

Thinking about everyone in the area.

We are right in the middle of it - fires/evacuations to the south, north and east. So far we are ok but the wind is insane and if it shifts . . . I'm not sure where we would go.

I hope your daughter has all the medical supplies she need. Would it make sense for your family to evacuate to Livermore/Pleasanton/Dublin for the day or is it better to shelter in place?

Take care.

• Like 1

I hope your daughter has all the medical supplies she need. Would it make sense for your family to evacuate to Livermore/Pleasanton/Dublin for the day or is it better to shelter in place?

Take care.

Freeway is closed south of here. If we have to evacuate the only way to go is north. But so far we are ok and now that it is light they will come in with air support/fire retardants. 

As long as the wind doesn't shift/pick up too much we will be ok. It is supposed to die down as the day progresses.

Shelter in place is best if possible - so many people are out on the roads. So many roads are closed. It's hard to know which way would be safe.

We're not too far from the river so if worse comes to worse we could always go jump in.  I'm not actually kidding about that.

• Like 4

I have a cousin who lives North of San Fran.  I can't remember where she lives as I write this. I will try to call her a little later (2 hours earlier in CA)  to touch base with them and be sure they are OK.  If it is smoky, try to stay indoors, and have the AC running. 

• Like 1

I’m much further south. Liz in CA might be in that area.

Arcadia, thank you for posting this. I literally got on the board this morning and had no clue.

I am further east but dh's entire family lives in Santa Rosa area. We used to live near a street in Santa Rosa where buildings are on fire now. Unimaginable.

I just texted dh and he had just heard it on the car radio news.

We were not tuned in to news last night.

We are right in the middle of it - fires/evacuations to the south, north and east. So far we are ok but the wind is insane and if it shifts . . . I'm not sure where we would go. So much of Santa Rosa has burned. Friends have been evacuated. The sky is red. It's pretty frightening.

Having been in similar situations a few times, we always get out early. It is easier to return after the disaster than trying to get out while everyone else is fleeing.

Please be safe. My phone is going nuts with texts from my sister in law. They are still okay but don't know for how long. It must be nothing short of an inferno.

• Like 1

My phone is going nuts with texts from my sister in law. They are still okay but don't know for how long. It must be nothing short of an inferno.

This is bad :( hopefully their cell phone service stays stable.

“Cell service is down in parts of Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino and Humboldt counties due to massive wildfires burning throughout Northern California.

Both AT&T and Verizon confirmed that their customers may be currently experiencing outages.

"A power and connectivity issue is causing a service interruption in parts of Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino Counties," Verizon Wireless Pacific market public relations manager Heidi Flato said. "Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working with our vendor partners to resolve this issue quickly."

A media relations director from AT&T confirmed that some wireless customers in Humboldt County may also be experiencing "issues with their wireless services."â€

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/cell-service-down-North-Bay-napa-sonoma-santa-rosa-12263905.php

This is bad :( hopefully their cell phone service stays stable.

“Cell service is down in parts of Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino and Humboldt counties due to massive wildfires burning throughout Northern California.

Both AT&T and Verizon confirmed that their customers may be currently experiencing outages.

"A power and connectivity issue is causing a service interruption in parts of Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino Counties," Verizon Wireless Pacific market public relations manager Heidi Flato said. "Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working with our vendor partners to resolve this issue quickly."

A media relations director from AT&T confirmed that some wireless customers in Humboldt County may also be experiencing "issues with their wireless services."â€

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/cell-service-down-North-Bay-napa-sonoma-santa-rosa-12263905.php

MIL and her husband have evacuated but we cannot reach them by cell. DH thought he had the wrong number but the phones are out.

A massive tanker/helicopter just flew right over our house, heading for a resevoir just north. That is good to see. 

The sky is an eerie orange color. The sun is red. The air is awful.

But no evac orders here or the town just south of us, and the wind has died down. As long as it stays down, they will hopefully get things under control today.

So many local landmarks, gone. Still waiting to hear from friends and loved ones that they are ok. Dd11's best friend lives right in the evac zone in Santa Rosa. I hope they are ok.

• Like 1

A massive tanker/helicopter just flew right over our house, heading for a resevoir just north. That is good to see.

The sky is an eerie orange color. The sun is red. The air is awful.

But no evac orders here or the town just south of us, and the wind has died down. As long as it stays down, they will hopefully get things under control today.

So many local landmarks, gone. Still waiting to hear from friends and loved ones that they are ok. Dd11's best friend lives right in the evac zone in Santa Rosa. I hope they are ok.

I read that the Round Barn is gone. So sad. :(

My folks are right outside the evacuation zone, but just barely. So weird to imagine, but not hard since fire is a perennial danger there. I used to hate watching those helicopters and planes flying overhead. I mean, I'm glad they do, it just always creeped me out as kid. Lots of sleepless nights worrying about fire.

I read that the Round Barn is gone. So sad. :(

My folks are right outside the evacuation zone, but just barely. So weird to imagine, but not hard since fire is a perennial danger there. I used to hate watching those helicopters and planes flying overhead. I mean, I'm glad they do, it just always creeped me out as kid. Lots of sleepless nights worrying about fire.

Yes. And the Luther Burbank Center, where my girls do theater. We literally helped build that little theater. It was their second home.  :crying:

Yes. And the Luther Burbank Center, where my girls do theater. We literally helped build that little theater. It was their second home. :crying:

It's gone?! Wow......

My mom used to do tons of volunteer work there.

:(

The classrooms are destroyed. The center is not gone as of 11:30am update from Luther Burbank Center.

“Luther Burbank Center for the Arts has released the following official statement regarding Santa Rosa fire:

"Update at 11:30 a.m.: California Highway Patrol (CHP) has informed Luther Burbank Center for the Arts that the main building appears to have minimal damage, but that classrooms and the Center's east end are destroyed. We will continue to share updates as more information becomes available.â€

https://www.broadwayworld.com/san-francisco/article/Luther-Burbank-Center-for-the-Arts-Reports-Damage-Staff-Safe-After-Santa-Rosa-Fire-20171009

ETA:

Photos do look bad :( https://mobile.twitter.com/gmeline/status/917449815260196864

Edited by Arcadia

Another fire in Nevada City, Smartsville area - not as bad yet as the Sonoma County fire.

There is Lobo fire and McCourtney Fire in Nevada County.

There are currently evacuations order for Anaheim Hills (SoCal). It’s really fire season today with 14 fires ongoing (http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/?page=1) :(

“According to officials, the fire has burned 25 acres and multiple fire task forces are battling it. Television footage showed several homes on fire early Monday afternoon.

Evacuations were ordered south of the 91 Freeway, west of the 241 Toll Road, north of Nohl Ranch Road and east of Serrano Avenue. The eastbound 91 Freeway was closed, with small spot fires reported along the roadway.

Late Monday morning, Wyatt said the fire had jumped the 241 Toll Road and was threatening approximately 1,000 homes. An evacuation order has been issued for all homes east of the intersection of Weir Canyon Road and Serrano Avenue, Wyatt said.

“You need to be prepared to evacuate and now is the time to do so,†Wyatt said in a video posted to the Anaheim Fire Department’s Facebook page. “Take everything that you can that will sustain you for the next couple of days.â€

Several elementary schools in the area were evacuated as well, with students moved to Canyon High School. Several regional parks have also been closed and strong winds were pushing smoke into Orange and Santa Ana areas.â€

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-anaheim-hills-fire-20171009-story.html

Yes, this is so sad and frightening. Apparently arsonist set these so it is so infuriating. Prayers for all. And thinking of your husband, Amber- as a fellow asthmatic who has been near tremendous fires, I feel for him and the other asthmatics.

I haven't seen this, but I'm not surprised. That was too many fires all at once. It wasn't even that hot yesterday.

We woke up ash covered and red skied. Everything smells. It's hard to breathe even inside buildings. We're far enough south that we aren't in any danger from these fires. I live right on the edge of open space, though. Watching things closely.

My heart goes out to everyone impacted.

Wildfire is one of my biggest fears.  It isn't nearly as common here, nor are they as large as they are in other places, but it happens.  Last year, arson cost the area almost 10,000 acres.  I can't pretend to know what it must be like to deal with a much larger scale.

(But I do know what it's like to have a child who wants to be a wildlands firefighter.  :scared: )

Please stay safe, everyone!

Any new news?

No new updates from Santa Rosa Fire Dept since 3hrs ago.

So far two fatalities reported.

“Cal Fire confirmed one person died in Mendocino County and the CHP confirmed to KGO TV that a second person had died, a blind elderly woman found in her driveway in Santa Rosa. NBC Bay Area interviewed a man who said his elderly parents, ages 98 and 100, did not escape from a home in the Silverado Resort in Napa.â€

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/09/wildfires-force-evacuations-in-sonoma-county/

“The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has authorized federal funds to help battle six wildfires in the Northern California counties of Napa, Sonoma, Solano, Mendoncino, Butte, Nevada and Yuba counties.

FEMA said it activated its Regional Response Coordination Center in Oakland in order to support local emergency officials. A FEMA team was also coordinating with the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services.â€

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/10/09/raging-wine-country-wildfires-burn-homes-force-evacuations/

• Like 1

Cousins got out safely.

It's terrifying that one of these fires actually jumped 101.  That's one big wide highway.

I live in an area that has faced wildfires (evacuation, etc). When the firefighters were trying to keep the fire to one side of the highway, they had firemen and engines every 100 feet.  The fact that this fire jumped is so scary!

So far two fatalities reported.

“Cal Fire confirmed one person died in Mendocino County and the CHP confirmed to KGO TV that a second person had died, a blind elderly woman found in her driveway in Santa Rosa. NBC Bay Area interviewed a man who said his elderly parents, ages 98 and 100, did not escape from a home in the Silverado Resort in Napa.â€

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/09/wildfires-force-evacuations-in-sonoma-county//

:crying: :crying: :crying:

We just had a bad scare - fire to the west, which was the only open direction. But they put it out quickly. We're getting scattered FB reports that Cloverdale, the town to the north, has some portions being evacuated which would be truly scary, because I don't know where we would go. Honestly, that's still the situation: I have bags packed, food packed, important papers backed, sleeping bags & stuff all in the car. But I honestly don't know where we would go. There are fires in all directions. I'm really not looking forward to nightfall, somehow it's less scary in daylight.

Feeling slightly freaked out. 

• Like 1

We just had a bad scare - fire to the west, which was the only open direction. But they put it out quickly. We're getting scattered FB reports that Cloverdale, the town to the north, has some portions being evacuated which would be truly scary, because I don't know where we would go. Honestly, that's still the situation: I have bags packed, food packed, important papers backed, sleeping bags & stuff all in the car. But I honestly don't know where we would go. There are fires in all directions. I'm really not looking forward to nightfall, somehow it's less scary in daylight.

Feeling slightly freaked out. 

Praying for you. Check your pm

I checked snoopy's webcams- the indoor one looks ok (grainy but you can see light reflecting), the outdoor one is static. It's so close to Coffee Park, which was leveled. I suspect that my son's beloved wheelchair provider and my dd's favorite dance hall are both gone. Her friend's house in that neighborhood is confirmed gone.

I called my cousin and spoke with her for 2 or 3 minutes. She was glued to the TV. They live about 90 minutes from the fire area, but were planning to go there today and apparently know quite a few people who live there. She wanted to leave the phone line open and we can communicate via email.