Menu

Spelling

rainbowmama

My daughter is about to finish All About Spelling. It really did help improve her spelling: I can now always figure out what she's trying to spell, when at first it seemed like she would just sort of give up and start putting random letters after the first few letters when she spelled. However, she's still not a strong speller. She still forgets rules. It's not even 10AM here, and today she misspelled disagree, journal, switch, tractor, and realize. When she misspells something like disagree, I have her use her tiles, and then she then remembers. Things that are really a visual memory thing like tractor just don't stick. I had planned to move onto vocabulary after we finished All About Spelling, but now I wonder if she needs more reinforcement before moving on. Should we continue waiting on vocabulary and do more spelling? If so, what should we do at this point? 

When you say she finished All about spelling, do you mean all 7 levels?

Did you keep a "tricky words list" like they recommended and continue to review those? Did you do the regular review of the words as recommended in the curriculum? If so, did you move on to the next book even if she didn't have the prior book mastered, or is this is a more recent development where she is not remembering prior words learned?  Could this be developmental/puberty-related brain fog, or is this the status quo for her with spelling?

I would keep a "tricky words list" and review it on occasion. If it seems she has completely missed one of the rules/phonograms, etc. I would go back and review that.  

Interested to see what the others say regarding your next steps--we have not finished AAS7 yet. 

She has a tricky word list, and I make her study those every day. She does do regular review of the words/rules/sounds/etc.. We didn't move onto the next book until she could recite all the rules, spell all the words, etc... for that level. It's retention from stuff from previous levels that's the struggle, especially things without clear rules. AAS does talk about how "or" can say "er" in unaccented syllables, and it encourages developing a visual memory using a word bank, but this kid does not have a great visual memory: wrong words don't look wrong to her. Or she applies words wrong. We talked about suffixes so much, but then she tried applying the double the consonant to protect the short vowel to protect the short I in disagree... 

• Like 1

My daughter is about to finish All About Spelling. It really did help improve her spelling: I can now always figure out what she's trying to spell, when at first it seemed like she would just sort of give up and start putting random letters after the first few letters when she spelled. However, she's still not a strong speller. She still forgets rules. It's not even 10AM here, and today she misspelled disagree, journal, switch, tractor, and realize. When she misspells something like disagree, I have her use her tiles, and then she then remembers. Things that are really a visual memory thing like tractor just don't stick. I had planned to move onto vocabulary after we finished All About Spelling, but now I wonder if she needs more reinforcement before moving on. Should we continue waiting on vocabulary and do more spelling? If so, what should we do at this point? 

Spalding. It works differently than AAS, although AAS has some similarities. You'll need the manual (Writing Road to Reading, preferably the fourth edition) and a set of phonogram cards, and you'll be good to go.

We only did AAS 1-4, though I'd have liked to continue, because I needed something more independent. Recently Megawords was recommended to me. I think that's what I'm going to purchase. It has the careful spelling instruction for older kids with bigger multi-syllabic words with a more independent workbook. It also works on meanings of words, to the extent that CBD puts it in their "vocabulary" section, so perhaps that will take care of both issues for you. It really sounds perfect for you. Here is a review of it that I found. You could get through 2-3 levels in a year, and you could buy the assessment book to see what level to start her in. Or just start from the beginning to get a good review, it's up to you.

She can watch through my online spelling lessons on her own:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellinglessonsl.html

Also, for a good interactive review with you, my syllables program, you can work through it quickly focusing on the spelling, or just have her watch them on her own and then do the readings and exercises with her, having her spell a few words and review the spelling rules for each lesson.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

I would do Marcia Henry's Words after that, it combines spelling and vocabulary and goes to a 8th to 10th grade level.  It says 8th but the ending words are fairly tough.  The sample is from early on, the ending words are Greek and Latin multi-syllable words.

http://www.proedinc.com/customer/productView.aspx?ID=989

I also like Megawords, but Marcia Henry's words has a lot more for the price and have more work with vocabulary than megawords.  Plus, it is non-consumable.

Edited by ElizabethB