Menu

Going Back To School At My Age.

Hello,

Forgive me if I am not in the right place to post this, I am new to posting on "Forums" or message boards.  I am a 45 year old man, who may soon be unemployed and am trying to figure out what to do with the second half of my life.  Mid-life crisis, much?  I know.  I have a good paying job, make pretty good money and got into my field by accident. I started as an EA with a large accounting/consulting firm and worked my way up the ladder over the last 17 years to become the manager I am today.  I did all of this without having an undergraduate degree.  I surprised even myself with that one.  The thing is, I think I am burned out with what I am doing; that and I don't really trust my superiors any longer.  My job takes up 45 to 65 hours a week of my life, and has for nearly two decades.  Enough is enough.  So, I am considering taking a "Leap of Faith", as my partner calls it and quitting my job and going to school full time. I know myself, I'm easily distracted and will not be able to properly focus on school work, if I am worried about my job. 

Here's the rub - how do I do this and will I be able to survive without an income.  I have debt that I have to pay off, consolidation loans, etc.  I rent an apt (that dream of home ownership still alludes me), have your typical utilities and so on and so forth.  If I leave my job, I'll have enough to keep us afloat for several months, but then, it's gone.  My partner does not currently work, is 51 and supports me completely in my decision.  Which is wonderful and terrifying at the same time.  He is very supportive and my biggest cheerleader - always looks on the bright side.  But, will he get a job...can he get a job? He is capable, but is he driven?  My heart says yes, brain says no.  

So, my dilemma is do I do this or not.  I am not a religious person, but I am spiritual enough that I have prayed hard and continuously for months about this very thing. Do I do this?  Am I fooling myself at this age to go back to school?  Can it be done and we both live, yes tighter, leaner, but live.   So, I'm putting all my thoughts out to a random group of people that may or may not read this, in the hopes of getting true, maybe comforting, feedback.  

What to do, what to do...Thanks for listening. 

Partner needs to get a job before you quit your job.

I don't know if any school programs that only last a couple of months so you either need more saved up for school and living expenses or you need a steady income during that time.

Why would a 51 year old (who doesn't appear to be doing childcare) not be working already? Is there a problem that needs to be addressed first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jean and Mommyof1 to address your comments - Yes, partner is able and willing to work.  We relocated from Houston to Atlanta and he left his job there prior to our move.  He has been looking, but casually.  We have discussed and he knows that he will have to get a job or we will be homeless.  My fear is that he has become complaisant with the current situation; we have discussed this as well.  His plan is to have a full time job by end of Nov.  Obviously no school programs last a couple of months, I was just stating that is what I have as of this moment in time.  Thank you both for your thoughts.  

What program are you looking at? Do you have a specific career goal in mind that going back to school would achieve for you? Or is it just that you always wanted to go to school and never did, so you just want any degree? Or are you looking to finally get the degree in the field you are already working in?

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming

Well, I'm a 59 year old RN who is currently reinventing herself as a lactation consultant, so you can do whatever you want, you spring chicken!

I just wanted to add that you can simultaneously work and go to school. I did it with 2 little kids and a disabled husband and I was working 30 hours a week.

• Like 3

Well, I'm a 59 year old RN who is currently reinventing herself as a lactation consultant, so you can do whatever you want, you spring chicken!

I just wanted to add that you can simultaneously work and go to school. I did it with 2 little kids and a disabled husband and I was working 30 hours a week.

Lol Sandwalker - I'm a 50 yo IBCLC who's thinking of going back for an RN :)  

OP - I wouldn't do what you're suggesting. I would study part time, and keep working at the job you have &/or save up for school. Treat burnout through exercise, CBT, rebalancing work-life. It's not your age that's the issue, it's the lack of financial stability. I'm very safety margin conscious and this would make me very uncomfortable.  Also, fwiw, what you've said so far makes me think you shouldn't be counting on you partner for any support.  

• Like 1

I'm in my late 40s and just went back to school, too.  I quit a career I hated and got a new job in my new field (a step up from entry-level and about 35 hours a week). I go to school part-time (2 classes per semester) - I can still work and still get a financial aid loan.  It might take a bit longer, but so what.

I'll be in my early 50s when I'm done.  Still have about 20 years left of working.  Might as well love what I'm doing.  

I say go for it.  Your partner should be working, too.  And maybe you should go slowly so you can work - maybe something in your new field.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice and encouragement!!  I'm in the field of Tax Accounting for a large firm, but I really think I want a change.  So, I'm trying to decide to stick with my field, so many years in and all; or do I change and start over doing something I would love to do.  I can tell everyone this, my partner and I had a heart to heart and we have agreed on some set goals.  First, his employment - the goal is for him to be employed full time by the end of Nov.  I will stay with my employer until he is employed and we have a steady income coming in.  Second, I will seek a part-time position some where and enroll into school part time as well. The goal being to start school the first of next year sometime.  This way, we have a steady income and I can fullfil my dream of being the first in my immediate family to graduate from college!  This is a big deal for me.  I want this for my both personal and professional reason's.  I know I can do it and it can be done.  This has been a great experience, receiving advice and having a conversation about this with others who may have been or are in my shoes.  I sincerely thank you all for your input.  

I graduated from law school at 38; my husband started his undergrad the year before I started law school. We lived on my part time walmart job, our girlfriend/housemate's very low paying job, and his unemployment his first year at school (he was the breadwinner before that but was left unemployed by the recession), then mostly on my student loans and girlfriend's contribution while I was in law school. With food stamps and medicaid, we made it work. The result was a VERY LARGE pile of student loans. Now, I work as an attorney and my husband is STILL in school, but grad school. His pile of loans is not as big as mine, but it's getting there.

Your currently existing student loans, as long as they are Federal loans, you can put into deferment again while you are in school. Afterward, you can take advantage of income-based repayment plans. You may or may not qualify for medicaid and food stamps once your savings run out depending on the state and whether you have any kids.

It can be done; it's easier with someone working to at least pay the monthly bills. Your EFC is likely to be higher your first year of school because they go by the previous tax year's income, but after that you may qualify for some grants and not just loans.